PDA

View Full Version : Needed: A New Used Car

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:40:45 PM
Anyone live near Oregon and have a car they'd like to sell off? :cry

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:41:31 PM
Look for an older Toyota, or something GM with a 350 V8 thats carburated.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:45:45 PM
CARBY!!!

THOU HAST BLASPHEMED! SENTANCE YOU TO DRIVING DATSUN SUNNY I DO!

(Your car LD cant be any worse than the POS Sukuzi Swift that's decided to fall apart on me :\ Just replaced the rear hatched, starter motor and now the alternator fails. Yeech)

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:05:21 PM
Ummm.... I reccomended one because they're REALLY easy to find parts for, and REALLY easy to fix.

Our 82 Civic was carburated. 250+ thousand miles.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:26:42 PM
You got to be kidding me. Carby car's are only easy to fix if they dont have the emissions crap. when an emissions carby fails, it's a nightmare. (see above Barina for example). One thing I have found with fuel injected carsd is that they may look complex, butonce you have a look( esp Jap cars) they have a logical way of doing things and very by the numbers approach that makes working on them easy. The Barina is a 91 model and it's a nightmare of stuidity and crap. The Galant, with every bit of high tech gizmo and turbo, plus 4wd, is the bestest thing to work on for it's logic and by the numbers.

I dont know about you, but I'd rather not pay the fuel bill of a carby V8. Howenver, first or second generation of FWD Corollas with fuel injection is a good pick. Cant kill those damn things with an axe

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:24:51 PM
Carburated Hondas are damned near invincible, and every mechanic in the States can fix a carburated SBC. Almost everything here switched to FI after '85. I'm not saying FI is worse (it usually isn't) its just that the SBC is so cheap to fix because GM has built about 7 million of these engines. The Barina doesn't exist in the States, and if you notice, I was very specific about the carburated engine to get, simply due to availablity and inexpensiveness of parts.

Although something small, Japanese and 80s is probably the way to go. Toyota Corrolas and Honda Civics are nearly indestructable, FI or otherwise.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:27:12 PM
Another option on the cheap, even though it handles like a bus, is a Mustang 5.0. Very solid engine.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:04:50 PM
Buy a Civic.

Charley
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:32:13 PM
My crystal ball says something about public transportation in your near future

Figrin D'an
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:52:29 PM
Civics are a good choice... those things do seem to run forever.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2003, 02:03:11 AM
Charley your crystal ball better be wrong, because there is no way I can take public transportation to work. :(

Car is running again for now. We think maybe my battery was slowly going bad.. At least that's part of the problem.

Darren Caerdeth
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:01:06 AM
Id recommend an accord over a Civic........

Civics are good, but i managed to sling a rod in mine. From what ive seen, accords are damn near bullet proof.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:26:49 AM
I'd reccomend a sledgehammer for the car :D

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:17:01 AM
You slung a rod in a Civic??? Jeez, what type of RPM were you doing? Only ever heard of that once in a race Civic pulling 11,000 rpm

Silus Xilarian
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:25:50 AM
It wasnt a one time thing. I just took her to the strip one too many times. It was fun while it lasted, but im not gonna go back after I get my engine rebuilt.

Of course, after i get a fresh start with the engine, with a tad bit more power than i had before, I'll probably be right back up there....

Im so weak :p

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 28th, 2003, 04:48:29 AM
Yeah but still... you threw a rod in a Civic. That takes effort of the mechanical unsympathy kind

Sejah Haversh
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:19:55 AM
Marcus, if you think that's bad, imagine blowing a spark plug THROUGH the hood of a '84 Dodge Daytona. Friend of mine had that happen.

Car was a piece of crap, but, still, through the hood...

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 29th, 2003, 06:32:40 PM
You never got told how I destroyed a 4.2 litre V8 Commodore motor and the resulting damge, believe me the spark plug aint nothing to literally splitting the block in half, two conrods just disappearing into metal fragments, a third turned into a pretzel. we never found two pistons. The heads were the only salavable item.

Telan Desaria
Apr 29th, 2003, 06:49:11 PM
In my family's possession is a Model 1941 Kubelwagon. It still runs after much refurbishing and maintenence and is an excellent vehicle. I would recommend any German, although I am prejudiced. They are nearly invincible, clean, and efficient.

I believe, if memory serves, Hondas are Korean. Not Japanese.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:06:59 PM
I would recommend any German, although I am prejudiced. They are nearly invincible, clean, and efficient. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You need sarcasm tags there, buddy. Even the most avid German car fan realizes that with the exception of diesels not sold in the US, they're far from the most effecient cars (see Japanese hybrids), not amazingly clean (again, see hybrids), although they tend to be sturdy, your northern european neighbors the Swedes are better known for it than you are (Volvo).

German cars are known for their prowess in the twisties and rear wheel drive, and if its Volkswagen-Audi Group, underpowering the base models. They're also known for being heavy.

Hondas are about as Japanese as saki and sushi, and goddamned chu chu rocket. As to say, they be from the land of the rising sun.

You must be thinking of Hyundai.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:12:06 PM
And German cars are hard to service and damn expensive to maintain if they do break.

AmazonBabe
Apr 30th, 2003, 01:37:14 PM
My family owns a Chevy Malibu (the one I usually drive when I'm not in possession of the Tahoe), and it's a pretty dang sturdy car, light weight, maneuverable, has good gas mileage (especially in city driving), and is over-all a nice practical car... and you can get them used for a decently cheap price too.

(Hollie, I'm pretty sure you remember the Malibu as that was the car I drove you around in a lot when you were out here for E2.)