PDA

View Full Version : Damn rebels.

Yun
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:39:11 AM
Why can't the Imperials ever win? It really angers me. Hopefully Episode III won't suck like the last two prequels, and the Imperials will be made to look badass.

AmazonBabe
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:01:22 PM
They sorta had the upper hand in TESB.

Yun
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:09:54 PM
It would've suited me better had Luke joined Vader, etc. etc. But they always end up winning in the end. If I ever become a screenwriter, I'll make a movie where the "bad guys" win, quite an unexpected resolution in today's movies.

Figrin D'an
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:59:11 PM
Having the "bad guys" win in the end would totally destroy the mythos of the story. It wouldn't work.

Besides, Episode III will be filled with Jedi dying, the Republic crumbling, Palpatine's takeover and Anakin falling to the Dark Side. It'll be the moment for the bad guys to shine.

Lady Vader
Apr 26th, 2003, 07:03:57 PM
Besides, Episode III will be filled with Jedi dying, the Republic crumbling, Palpatine's takeover and Anakin falling to the Dark Side. It'll be the moment for the bad guys to shine.

Oy... with a line up like that, boy will it ever!

Yun
Apr 26th, 2003, 07:30:26 PM
Yeah, I just hope it doesn't come off as half-assed like the last two. And how would having the bad guys win be a bad thing? It would be different.

Figrin D'an
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:18:34 PM
Originally posted by Yun
Yeah, I just hope it doesn't come off as half-assed like the last two. And how would having the bad guys win be a bad thing? It would be different.

Because it would be an end-run around the concept of quest heroism. At the heart of the Star Wars films are the ideas of failure and redemption, and having those paralleled in the various levels of the plotline. The fates of the Republic/Rebellion and the Empire, at various stages of the plotline, are parallels of the core story, which is the fall and redemption of the Skywalker family through a father and a son.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:21:33 PM
SW doesn't fit with the bad guys winning in the end, their are stories where that does happen and it works there.

Yun
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:53:57 PM
I wasn't necessarily talking about Star Wars, but movies in general when it comes to the good guys always winning.

Figrin D'an
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:21:14 PM
There are films in which the antangonist(s) come away in better situations than the protagonist(s), or in which the protangonist is considered "bad" by his/her actions, moral standing, etc. It's not really a new concept. It's just not necessarily applicable to every type of storyline. Usually, for one of those two cases to be successful as a film, there either has to be a clear reason/message involved, so the audience understands why the "bad guy" comes out on top, or the particular "bad guy" character has to be likeable, such that they audience will root for him/her regardless of his/her morals and ethics.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:12:49 PM
The best examples I can think of is Payback with Mel Gibson (there his character was bad but you rooted for him), the Hannible Lectar movies, mostly Hannible, and the Usual Suspects well the bad guy got away.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2003, 12:34:46 PM
AUGH mask that spoiler!

;) j/k

I loved Payback. :D

Telan Desaria
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:03:47 PM
Jun...you should rp an Imperial - - - you have the heart for it.

We win in EU. Bilbringi, Sluis Van, things like that...the Empire kicks <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>...(correct English phrase?)

Franksta
Jun 17th, 2003, 10:13:36 AM
Even in Episode II the bad guys pretty much won. Dooku gets away, Palpatine gets his unchecked power from the Senate, Yoda's last line about "what victory?" sums up the whole movie for me.

and in ROTJ if Luke had killed Vader or vice versa Anakin wouldn't have fufilled the prophecy to bring balance to the Force.

THX 1138
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:17:43 PM
They sorta had the upper hand in TESB

True, The Battle of Hoth was a fine victory for the empire. (General Veers, what a man) Vader cuts off Lukes hand and Boba Fett encases Han in carbonite. Not exactly a Rebel victory.

Doc Milo
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:52:16 PM
As was pointed out earlier -- the bad guys did win in both TPM and AotC.

Sure, it may "look" like the good guys win, but all of the events in the two movies are for a single purpose -- to give Palpatine Power for his eventual take over of the Republic. The Republic (who "won" over the separatists in AotC) eventually becomes the Empire -- so, the Empire does win, in a manner of speaking, in AotC.

But all the events that take place do so according to Palpatine's plan -- and help him secure his power. Therefore, in "good guy" victory in TPM and AotC are just masking the actual victory of the bad guys...

Jarek T'chort
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:58:18 PM
Yes, hence the Imperial march being played as Palpatine reviews the Clone army at the end of AotC.