PDA

View Full Version : How Obi-Wan Gets Vader's Sabre Theory

Sage Hazzard
Apr 26th, 2003, 01:32:19 AM
Well I was sitting around and thinking about what the next movie will have in it ( yes, I have no life :p ) and I was thinking how they'd explain Obi-Wan coming into possesion of Vader's Sabre and giving it to Luke later. Well, I came up with a little idea that probably sounds silly in the light of day.

In AOTC Anakin loses his sabre during the big speeder chase. Obi-Wan hands it back to him later, and if I remember correctly, refers to him losing it before and how he needs to keep better track of it or something.

Now it might sound silly but what if Anakin looses the sabre ( as he's apparently prone to doing ) and Obi-Wan picks it up? Then maybe he never gets a chance to give it back, as Anakin joins the Darkside or something.

Okay, so it sounds a bit silly, but I get the feeling Lucas likes to put little reaccuring themes in his movies. I even think he said that once. So maybe AOTC gave a little hint, hmm?

JMK
Apr 26th, 2003, 07:28:48 AM
I always thought that if Obi Wan and Anakin fight, Anakin would lose his saber before falling into the volcano and Obi Wan would pick it up and keep it for Luke.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:48:16 AM
That seems very likely Kyle that would be my bet.

Figrin D'an
Apr 27th, 2003, 03:17:33 PM
I've actually felt that we would see Anakin using that sabre in Episode III as a Jedi, then when he falls to the Dark Side, he leaves it behind as a symbolic representation of abandoning the ideals of the Jedi. He then builds a new sabre for himself as be becomes a Sith. Obi-Wan decides to hang onto the sabre, because he feels that one day, one of Anakin's children will need to learn how to use it.

Oriadin
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:11:27 AM
Nah, Anakin loses it somehow. Probably in a fight with Obi Wan mentioned above. In Ep II they made a big thing about Anakin loosing his saber, of having it damaged. It would tie in with the story.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2003, 11:27:56 AM
That is possible, I don't think Anakin will turn completely until after the fight, so I don't think he will have the red saber until he becomes Vader.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:05:08 PM
They did make a big thing about Anakin losing his saber in AotC, so I think it would be a fitting symbol if he were to leave it behind intentionally though I still believe that Obi Wan will disarm him before defeating him. Maybe he'll cut his other arm off. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:12:15 PM
lol Kyle that is possible of course he could lose his other arm in what ever he falls into.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:15:57 PM
Or maybe he just keeps the saber as a spare, and then when he runs into Luke, he;s like, "Oh! I have an extra saber! Here, take it."

But that's just me. I don't think that even Yoda could see that far into the future as to pick p the saber with the specific intent of giving it to Luke later down the road.

Doc Milo
May 6th, 2003, 09:40:58 PM
I like Figrin's idea, with one slight amendment. He keeps it with the hope that Anakin himself will return from the dark side...

JMK
May 7th, 2003, 06:27:02 AM
That sounds cool too, but at which point does Obi Wan give up on Anakin and go with the "more machine than man" description?

Jedi Master Carr
May 7th, 2003, 12:04:04 PM
I think after he defeats and he becomes Darth Vader that would make sense to me.

Dove
Jun 9th, 2003, 10:40:31 PM
Well, once Anakin fashions a new red saber, he probably just disregards the blue one. Obiwan probably kept it with him, knowing that Luke would one day be sought after to defeat his father.

THX 1138
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:48:13 PM
.......Speaking of lost arms and lightsabers, in The Last command how is Thrawn supposed to have gotten Luke's hand and his fathers saber, did'nt they fall from Cloud city into Bespin, which is a gaseous giant?

Dove
Jun 30th, 2003, 10:00:26 PM
It was probably recovered by Stormtroopers that searched the place. After all, getting some Luke DNA would've been pretty important, especially to a collector such as the Emperor.

Jedi Knight Sui-Gro
Jul 28th, 2003, 06:37:15 PM
It would be kinda weird and dramatic in a soap opera sese for Anakin to just give it away or leave it behind. But then again it would also be if he loses it to Obi-Wan who always told him not to. Anywho it does put a good point that Star Wars can be a big Soap Opera in space.

JMK
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:43:27 AM
That's exactly what Star Wars is, a big galactic soap opera.