PDA

View Full Version : X2 sets the record for country releases in one week

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:03:18 AM
It will go out to 93 countries in one week I hear. This is due to piracy, the idea being there is less need to watch some rubbishy copy of a film when you can see it anyway.

This is also why the US gets it two days after Austrailia and a day after the UK. Weight of copiers :)

Hopefully, this trend will continue.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:38:04 AM
I think it will most big movies will probably be doing this from now on.

Dutchy
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:39:21 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

Indeed!!

Darth Viscera
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:26:42 PM
It will go out to 93 countries in one week I hear. This is due to piracy, the idea being there is less need to watch some rubbishy copy of a film when you can see it anyway.
This is also why the US gets it two days after Austrailia and a day after the UK. Weight of copiers :)

Well if they're following your logic, they'll release it in Southeastern Asia and the U.K. first. Both GIANT bootleg hubs.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:33:29 PM
They are right I know they are releasing it in Australia first at least.

Darth Viscera
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:49:30 PM
What do you think Australia has to do with bootlegging?

Jinn Fizz
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:31:40 PM
ooooooooooo, one week, I can't wait!!!!! :crack

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:32:12 PM
Little. Which is why they get it first.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:49:52 PM
Here's hoping this UK First trend sticks :D !

Darth Viscera
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:05:40 PM
Little. Which is why they get it first.

But the U.K. bootlegs more than almost any other country. Your logic doesn't add up.

JMK
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:22:11 PM
If we're dealing with a matter of mere days then who the hell cares? I certainly don't care if Australia or the U.K. get it one or 2 days before North America. :zzz

Darth Viscera
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:24:42 PM
Well then I'm disagreeing with the premise that they distribute the movie to countries that bootleg less first.

I don't really give a hoot who gets the movie before our country does, but I do know a lot about bootlegging.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:26:46 PM
But the U.K. bootlegs more than almost any other country. Your logic doesn't add up.
Vis, it was a direct quote from ____ Donner (Forget her first name), one of the Producers. I think she'll know more than you, as they're the ones planning it.

And if you actually read what I said properly, you'd stop saying "your". I never said I worked it out, so theres no me about it.

Darth Viscera
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:42:37 PM
Those hollywood producer types don't know much about piracy. These are the guys who estimate that 50% of all CD-Rs are purchased for ripping music CDs, which is where they get their bloated annual piracy loss figures, and 70% of all DVD-Rs are purchased for pirating movies. Al Sahaf has said more reasonable things.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:46:03 PM
The media industries don't understand or really know how much piracy affects their numbers at all. Its pure speculation, and futher, they've got no insiders. Most of the bootleg stuff I know of is usually out of SE Asia.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:51:13 PM
Still you can find bootleg copies on the street, I have seen copies of movies that have been out a few weeks at flea markets and yard sales. The thing there though is people walking into a theater and taping the movie, one guy recently got arrested doing this he might, if convicted he could get up to 25 years in prison.

Darth Viscera
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:43:43 PM
25 years in prison for going into a theater with a camcorder? The camcorder had better darn well have had a stick of C4 in it if they're going to send him to prison for 25 years!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:51:01 PM
That is the max which I doubt he will get, I think they are claming he has done this a lot like 5 times or something so I think it each count is 5 years max that is 25 years.

ReaperFett
Apr 26th, 2003, 01:04:53 PM
He'd be likely to not even get double figures IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:26:03 PM
I am guessing he gets 5-10 years for all the counts most judges won't give the max. I still think what he did was wrong that is what they need to crack down on these flea markets selling illegal tapes, half time they are ripping people off.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:32:35 PM
Hollywood dont know crap about why people bootleg. Dont they see LOTR and realise that if you produce quality, bootlegging isnt a problem? Who wants to see a crap bootleg when there is this superb thing to see in all it's glory? Make it worth ou money, we'll FLOCK to the cimemas! and lets face it, LOTR:FOTR is propbably the most bootlegged Movie of all time, yet it made squillions with theatre / DVD and VHS releases.

Fact is, about ttime simulaneous release was done. There is no excuse Hollywood has any longer to allow big movies to have absurd release staggers.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:22:27 PM
There are people that buy them, I see people buying the crummy ones all the time. I know somebody who bought a pirated copy of a movie. Plus in Asia they have very good copies from what I hear the pirates there are good at what they do.

ReaperFett
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:29:38 PM
Dont they see LOTR and realise that if you produce quality, bootlegging isnt a problem?
Prove it. Prove that they didnt lose any money.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:52:45 PM
FFS, 1.5 BILLION IN REVENUE AT LEAST SO FAR FROM FOTR SALES ALONE!! What, are you seriously going to tell me bootlegging was a problem when clearly LOTR is a cash cow like almost nothing else before it, with a WW combined of 1.75 BILLION (FOTR 865, TTT 900 million from theatre tickets alone from two movies? Oh yeah, like LOTR had a hit from pirates. Not.

I :mad did :mad not :mad say :mad bootlegging ceases to exist i :mad said IT CEASES TO BE A REAL PROBLEM. Your not going to stop piracy, but if your product is more compelling than a bootleg, you'll get sales. LOTR and even Harry Potter proved that. Get some facts before replying, because the onus is on you to prove your point. Mine already stands in the New Line execs rolling in hookers and cocaine paid for by by LOTR cash reciepts.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:58:12 PM
I agree with Mark. You guys have no idea why most of us do what we do.

ReaperFett
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:17:47 PM
FFS, 1.5 BILLION IN REVENUE AT LEAST SO FAR FROM FOTR SALES ALONE!!
Yes, doesnt prove it couldnt make more. Maybe Morg and Vis are right, they know more than the movie producers. THat I will give them. But yours is unprovable.

Oh, and that had a big release in one week too, so technically could do well because of that :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 27th, 2003, 01:27:24 AM
But yours is unprovable. [/quote

Piracy with LOTR was not an issue because consumers (or sheep as Charley puts em and in the case of LOTR fanboys like myself, he has a point) saw that they were gettign their money's worth and hence opened up their wallets to the tune of over 1.5 BILLION of FOTR alone! The proof is in the dollars and the baa-baa of LOTR geeks

Could FOTR sold more? Probably. But it's still the No 1 DVD for sales to date.

I bootlegged. I then went like good LOTR nerd and bought FOTR DVD and the EE, because I believd the monetary benifit was there. I'm not alone. Not naming names, but I know some who post here are frikking good bootleggers and yet they did as I did too. My own behavour is proof - and the knowing that the geeks who dont blink an eye to pirate what they want, dug out money for the EE.

[quote] I did not say bootlegging ceases to exist i said IT CEASES TO BE A REAL PROBLEM

You have yet to debate why consumers clearly will buy intead of bootleg if they view the value for money is there.

ReaperFett
Apr 27th, 2003, 05:49:03 AM
Because everyone wants something for nothing. You keep saying about quality, but how do you know until you see it?

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 27th, 2003, 07:15:28 AM
Did you read my post, or are you just trying to build another strawman argument?

ReaperFett
Apr 27th, 2003, 07:33:05 AM
Well first, you dont have to buy these days. I know someone who saw both LOTR films, but never paid a penny to them. ANd he liked them. Did the same for SW and all the other films. He in fact never goes to the cinema.

Also, the LOTR argument with you having bootleg and DVD is a bit awkward. I'd expect you to buy every LOTR DVD, because you're a fan. I know I'll do the same for Daredevil. But not everyone is so willing.

And you're talking DVDs. DVDs come with extras, the cinema does not.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 10:04:43 AM
I think there is a lot of people overseas who does this especially in China that is why China is such a horrible movie market, I think if movies make 2 million there they are happy.

Darth Viscera
Apr 27th, 2003, 10:41:53 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
There are people that buy them, I see people buying the crummy ones all the time. I know somebody who bought a pirated copy of a movie. Plus in Asia they have very good copies from what I hear the pirates there are good at what they do.

Malaysians suck at quality bootlegging. They are absolute cracktards in that respect. What they do is flood the world market with sub-optimal bootlegs. Quantity is what they're good at. The English do it on a smaller scale, but the Malaysians set up huge bootleg DVD stamping and mastering houses filled with guys armed with AK-47s and cigarettes. They seem to me to actually go out of their way to avoid quality.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 10:56:52 AM
Where does that matter? People in china I guess must not care about quality because movies in theaters don't do well there.

Darth Viscera
Apr 27th, 2003, 03:02:32 PM
You said they have very good copies in Asia, and that the pirates there are very good at what they do. I'm disagreeing with you. They're only good at quantity.

MasterPewter
Apr 27th, 2003, 06:59:53 PM
I think that people that pirate and/or buy pirated things are plainly moraly bankrupt. I look at is as stealing these people had nothing to do with and of the actual production of what ever they are pirating. be it games software movies or music. I would like some one to tell me it is not stealing wheather you purchase or "Produce" pirated entertainment. Or even "intend" to purchase what ever they are stealing or not.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:33:00 PM
So what does that have to do with anything DV. As I said they must not care in China because movies do horrible there. They do better in countries like Bulgaria which has lower population and less Per capita income. So the Chinesse must not care about it. Also it could be a problem in Japan that could be why LOTR hasn't done as well as AOTC, Monsters INC or Harry Potter in the last two years.

Darth Viscera
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:07:45 PM
Originally posted by MasterPewter
I think that people that pirate and/or buy pirated things are plainly moraly bankrupt. I look at is as stealing these people had nothing to do with and of the actual production of what ever they are pirating. be it games software movies or music. I would like some one to tell me it is not stealing wheather you purchase or "Produce" pirated entertainment. Or even "intend" to purchase what ever they are stealing or not.

Nobody here is justifying the morality of pirating, in fact you're the first to bring morals into this.

The fact is that there's a media distribution gap. The entertainment industry could solve the case of piracy completely if they would work towards increasing availability (simultaneous theater, DVD and VOD release) in a low-cost, consumer-friendly package. Hollywood's impotent attempts at piracy control can be likened to John F. Kennedy going up to Secretary Kruschev in 1963 and asking him to please refrain from developing anything that could lead up to the construction of the Soviet Union's first atom bomb. The genie is already out of the bottle, hollywood.

Cheap and easy distribution could kill off movie piracy literally overnight. They have the capacity to introduce mass distrobution, but the lazy bastards seem content to do things the old fashioned way and watch and whine as the consumer invents his own methods of circumventing the 9-month wait between theater and DVD release. Tough crap, hollywood. Time is money, so deliver your product on time to the disposable-income-wielding public and shut your hole.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:19:56 PM
Come out it isn't that easy. First their has to be some wait from the time a movie enters theaters to the time it leaves. Take LOTR for example it came out in December and is still playing in theaters mostly dollar theaters in the US. But it is playing wide in Japan, They have to wait till a certain point otherwise they would lose revenue from the theaters which would hurt the industry. Really right now I think they are mostly losing money in Asia probably China mostly, but until China decides it cares about getting their piracy problem under control their isn't much you can do about it.

Darth Viscera
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:31:37 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Come out it isn't that easy. First their has to be some wait from the time a movie enters theaters to the time it leaves. Take LOTR for example it came out in December and is still playing in theaters mostly dollar theaters in the US. But it is playing wide in Japan, They have to wait till a certain point otherwise they would lose revenue from the theaters which would hurt the industry. Really right now I think they are mostly losing money in Asia probably China mostly, but until China decides it cares about getting their piracy problem under control their isn't much you can do about it.

Lost theater revenue would be more than made up in DVD and VOD sales.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:54:38 PM
Maybe on some movies, still if they released films even earlier they might lose a lot like if they don't release it WW on the same day. Also they might not put as much stuff on the DVD there would be no time for Commentaries or to put deleted scenes on it, it would be a very waterd down version of the movie, and I wouldn't like that.

JMK
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:55:17 PM
No, I agree that the studios need to get the lead out and really shorten that gap between theater to home usage. Forget the dollar theaters, IMO they just want to wait so that they can crank up the hype machine one last time without making everyone sick on the movie. That's pretty thin if you ask me, then again, if fans knew that the movie would be out 2 months after its initial release I'm sure there are alot of people who would skip repeat viewings, or possibly not go at all if they knew they only had to wait another 60-90 days before they could just own the damn thing.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:48:04 AM
I can understand why they wait, it is to stop people who want to see it just waiting for the DVD, IMO. But theres ways round it.