PDA

View Full Version : I'm Bringing this Up Again

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:50:03 AM
We previously had a discussion on making generic moderator and administrator names, instead of using our character or real names to moderate and administrate.

I think many thought it was a good idea. Then the discussion just ran out.

If you missed the discussion, please look at this thread:
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23405

The idea starts at 49, and becomes looked at post 58 through many more posts. If you have anything to add, that's cool, but it was discussed at length, as you can see, and I don't mean to start another billion post debate.

There have been several threads, noteably in Box Office, where mods have posted opinions, some of which have been outright insulting (whether deserved or not) and/or controversial. There is another one today, with an alert tagged on it.

I think when you're going to post such things, do it as just yourself, not with your mod or admin hat on. It isn't professional AT ALL. I cringe when I see it, and end up being pissed off at the mod who says it.

This crap really bothers me, so I'm bringing up the idea again, as I don't think we concluded what we want to do in regards to it.

Maybe we can just vote over it?

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:04:46 AM
Why do we need to though? Every other board has Mods giving opinions.

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:09:26 AM
It's more than opinions being served, and you know that.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:54:56 AM
Clearly I don't, please don't assume what I know.

So would does it gain? I'm still a Mod, wether I use a different account some times or not. It just seems like a layer of confusion for the normal poster, and little else.

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:00:19 PM
Whatever Fett, fine. Read the other thread for the arguments for and against.... like I said above.

So, your vote is no?

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:01:21 PM
Maybe mods who flame or insult other posters should be disciplined. *shrug*

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:04:29 PM
I agree but it doesn't happen. Last time we talked to someone, no one thought it was bad enough to discipline (I guess), and the mod didn't think he did anything wrong, citing the rules as evidence.

I'm not asking people to not post their opinions. We all do, on a daily basis, but there is a difference between that and insulting people.

Either we want to be a forum where we can say whatever the hell we want; people don't like it they can hit the road, or we can maintain some objectivity when we wear the mod hat.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:07:14 PM
To me, that is a problem with the Moderators then.

And yes Eve, I vote "No".

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:32:40 PM
I am not sure about it to me it takes time to change names and such and besides I think people will figure out who is who unless you do something like an anomynous Mod or something like Shawn suggested at one time. I think really that mods should just learn to watch what they say I try to and sometimes I stop posting in threads because of the topics because of that reason.

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:41:23 PM
That is what is being proposed is anonymous mod names.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:06:57 PM
Wouldnt it get obvious quickly who is who though? Im on a different timezone from every other mod, plus I spell words different. If, say, Charley is away for two weeks, it can be worked out that he isnt one of the Mods still posting, and so on.

Charley
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:11:04 PM
If you want to discipline me, do it. Stop beating around the bush.

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:42:16 PM
For the time being, can we all just vote? If someone wants to start another thread to deal with Charley, please do so. I'm asking you to vote in anonymous mod/admin names.

Please read through the other thread, before posting here, if you don't recall it.

Charley
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:40:46 PM
I abstain.

Taylor Millard
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:31:51 PM
I was wondering if we were going to do the anonymous mod names or not. I don't think it's a bad thing.

We would have to act much more professionally and seriously in handling matters (which isn't a bad thing).

I think Brian made the comment about switching SNs every few months or so, that way no one knows that Mod A is Fett and Mod B is me.

That's not a bad idea either.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:53:38 PM
As an aside, is there a link to the previous discussion? I can't remember it well.

imported_Eve
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:06:31 PM
YES, in the very first post.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:17:15 PM
AHh, thought that was to something else.

JMK
Apr 25th, 2003, 07:00:38 PM
I'm leaning towards no, but I'll go with it if the majority wins and keep my yapper shut. :)

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:09:54 PM
I don't have enough time to read this entire thread but I do know of it and will post next time with my thoughts. When I am not rushed :)

CMJ
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:55:37 AM
I lean towards no as well.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 26th, 2003, 01:31:05 PM
no.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:36:25 PM
I was behind it at first last time but changed ny naimd and haven't changed my mind again. I still say no.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:23:01 PM
I am leaning towards no as well.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:47:04 PM
We would have to act much more professionally and seriously in handling matters (which isn't a bad thing).

We don't need to have an annonymous name to do that. We should be doing that anyway regardless

I have to go with no....

Taylor Millard
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:51:38 PM
I have no problem with anonymous accounts, but if everyone else doesn't like it, that's cool.

I'm fine with whatever decisions's made.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2003, 02:25:05 AM
So was that a yes, or a no?

Taylor Millard
Apr 27th, 2003, 02:38:18 AM
For diversity sake...I'll vote yes.

I think it's not a bad idea and, if done right, could work.

But if it's not voted in then I don't mind, either.

imported_Eve
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:33:53 AM
I know not everyone's chimed in, but looks like it's a no go?

Cool. Thanks for voting.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:48:57 PM
Originally posted by Navaria Tarkin

We would have to act much more professionally and seriously in handling matters (which isn't a bad thing).We don't need to have an annonymous name to do that. We should be doing that anyway regardlessQuoted for emphasis.