PDA

View Full Version : Not usually the one to bring up stuff ....

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:04:12 PM
http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28981

a wee bit of plagiarizing no?

Morgan Evanar
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:20:41 PM
Snap? WTF?

Damon the Shade
Dana Scully
Drizzit Darreerden
Ellen Ripley
Fox Mulder
Jason Dreggs
Malick Rain
Nicky Huu
Outerworld2000
OW outcast
xsmokingmanx

A little more IP digging crosses him with Blade Ice/Gerbo Lang. Never was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Charley
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:25:14 PM
Spork him, now.

AmazonBabe
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:40:50 PM
His writing style is a bit funny too. He seems to miss words, mispell, and punctuation. But that's beside the point.

I guess it's not that bad a plagerism. I mean, we've used the names of other characters like Darth Vader, Leia, Artoo, etc.

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:49:43 PM
Yes but that's SW and imo a bit different.

Figrin D'an
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:02:02 PM
It's not so much that he's using names, or even a few traits here or there. The problem is that the Fox Mulder and Dana Scully characters from "The X-Files" have been cloned just about verbatim. That's pretty blatantly plagerism.

DarthHERA
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:34:32 PM
I beleive in originality definitely, but I remember ppl making Austin Powers and Felicity Shagwell characters and writing them exactly the same didnt they?

Maybe a hard tap on the head to make Gerbo aware is in order?

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:39:51 PM
x_x

Oh Fox, you looking aliens again?

For gods sake, you cant help FINDING frikking aliens in Star Wars!

Well, Gue got warned for the same thing, he should be warned too.

DarthHERA
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:42:55 PM
Actually..now that I think of it...I use Jordan O'Neil from GI Jane.

:(

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:53:48 PM
But I think there's a difference between your character and the Demi Moore one.

The way I see it is this...as long as there are 3 differences from one character to another..then there's no problem.

We have had the issue of plagarism before and I think there might be an issue here with the X-Files characters.

However, if Blade Ice shows there are 3 differences (and distinctive differences fromt he show's characters) then the characters can be allowed.

If there aren't any...then we need todo something about it.

Shawn
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:04:58 AM
Mmm... I'm still not comfortable with people introducing characters when they don't even bother to change the name.

I don't know about putting an exact number on the differences that they have, but it shouldn't be immediately obvious that they're juxtaposing a foreign character into this universe.

For example: Taylor, you use Anthony Hopkins as your avatar. Many of your character's mannerism imitate Hannibal Lector's. But you did not make a character named Hannibal Lector that's locked up somewhere for eating people and is helping police officers on a case.

Yes, that second situation could still be made to fit into the Star Wars Universe but it would be awkward, at best.

In my book, you have to at least attempt to make the character your own. And that's my official stance on the matter.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:41:24 AM
Slap the hand. Umbrella Corp was also not welcome here, remember?

And I would have smacked Austin and Felicity, but they were only on GJO and I just ignored them instead.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:09:41 PM
I don't think they were meant as serious characters.

Charley
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:17:17 PM
Correct. Usually in that case, such characters have been comedic socks. If they're trying to do otherwise, it might be a problem.

Even the SW canon names deviate from the norm, with their own stories that are not the same as the people they originate from.

I didn't know about Jordan tho...funny.

Anyway, just a friendly reminder should be enough I guess.

DarthHERA
Apr 25th, 2003, 07:20:54 PM
I agree with you Charley. Just maybe someone give him a heads up about it.

As for Jordan, her whole back story and everything is completely original, but still, Im thinking a name change is in order. :/

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:52:36 AM
Perhaps just let him know that he should diversify those 2 chars a bit.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:02:11 AM
I really think he should bug his brain for 5 seconds and come up with two original names.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:45:05 PM
diversify? He needs to make two totally new characters IMO

Personally, I don't mind Blade but sometimes he really needs to think a little before doing something....

GJO Mods in general - is that thread still going because it was yesterday ... erm .. shouldn't it be closed or something

Lady Vader
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:11:27 PM
I didn't see any need to close it... but that's just me.

I understand the plagerism thing, but I don't feel he needs to create two entirely different and new characters. Just tweek the one's he has right now (obviously change the names).

Morgan Evanar
Apr 27th, 2003, 08:32:01 PM
I'm covering our collective bottoms. I'd say its remarkable how lazy people can be, but almost nothing fazes me anymore.