Navaria Tarkin
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:02:24 PM
http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28981

:|

what happened to being original?

Xazor Elessar
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:06:43 PM
:huh

I thought it was a good idea -- maybe not the most original -- but then again, I never watched the X-Files so I wouldn't know. :mneh

Fox's last name sounded familiar, though -- oh well, it had to do with werewolves so I thought it was cool. :)

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:09:12 PM
Not the most original? It is blatantly ripping off the television series

If you wanted to make characters like this make them up :rolleyes There are copyright laws ......

Figrin D'an
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:13:39 PM
This is pushing it... Taking names or certain traits of characters is one thing, but using them verbatim is very questionable. We have rules about plagarism that are expected to be followed.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:16:10 PM
both registered by the same person..... :rolleyes

Gurney Devries
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:20:10 PM
Oh hooray. Is it all THAT hard to at least change a few things (like, say, names) and try to make it fit into the SWU? You know, maybe a sub-section of the NRSF that investigates completely abnormal phenomena? Last I checked, "Aliens" aren't all that abnormal in Star Wars.

Oddball
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:20:17 PM
*Checks watch*

Annnnny moment now someone will attack me then. Deadpool, Oddball. Mercenaries. Wise crackers. The humour character in their own little galaxy.

BRING IT OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRN!

Oh, and I can give directions to many more. Heck, there's even two of us Deadpool users!

My answer is this. Who cares as long as you have fun? Using the likeness of anyone living or dead is illegal in some situations. All ANime and comics are copyrighted. In fact, all of Star Wars is too. So shall we go to "Generic Universe Wars", where we cant use any words that have been used before?

Gurney Devries
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:24:56 PM
As far as I can tell, you're not copying the comicbooks verbatim. If you really want, I can go look through all of your posts and see if that's the case. If so, we'll take similar action against you. But at least you have the decency to change the character's name and to try and make it your own.

ReaperFett
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:27:16 PM
Anyway:

"Werewolf like aliens"

"So this was the place a bar own by the most notorious cult the Jedi"

" prove that the NR was hiding something"

They are trying to fit into the Galaxy. Are you telling me that if they now called themself Fax Muldark and Donut Sulky they'd be fine?

Gurney Devries
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:31:11 PM
If they tried to be more reasonable (again: "Werewolf-like aliens" aren't exactly out of place here), changed a few names to something more Star Wars-y and didn't steal lines right out of the show, then yes, it would basically be fine. Not using pics of the show's characters would be a big plus.

Look for oddities in the SWU. For example, the evil "miasma" that used to circulate around the spot where the second Death Star was destroyed.

It's actually not a bad idea. But it was executed very poorly.

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:16:31 PM
:x

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:18:46 AM
Hmmm, in the right light, and to those who have never actually seen a werewolf before, I just might look like one.

Oh, this shall be fun. Ever so fun.

I always hated X-Files. Well, I hated the one light-bulb per show they called dramatic lighting, really. I just called it dark.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 25th, 2003, 07:33:06 AM
Oh, another one of these. Well, dang. I have no idea what to say to that. Do the X-Files even come on anymore?

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:08:16 AM
Using and extending ideas from other places is one thing - most of us do it. To whole heartedly take a concept and 100% use it without any change at all is copyright violation not covered by fair use.

what we do is covered by fair use - HOWEVER, technically we are all Breaching copyright and if Lucasarts wished to stop SW RP, we dont have a leg to stand on. Although a degree of fair use can eb argued. 100% use without change is not acceptible. You not even covering yourself in fair use.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:14:12 AM
Isn't it just considered 'Fan Fiction'? I mean its not like we're profiting from it, and there are thousands of people out there who write stories encompassing characters from other peoples works. If anything, I'd think it helps the companies who make the media in question - they get more publicity through it.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:54:34 AM
Doesnt matter what we think. The copyright laws say we are not allowed to use characters and situations written about by someone else except with permission. Copyright is implied, you do not have to apply for it. That's why going 100% is just simply out of the question - you have to modify and put somethign unique into it to venture into the fair use areas. Fan fiction may or may not be fair use - if for intstance you write about Mara Jade and Luke skywalker in a SW setting, you are in violation of copyright. Fact is, if you write about Luke full stop you violate copyright unless you are under fair use clauses. In the case of a defended copyright like Luke is, those fair use areas are narrow and are firstly defined by a) Is it for personal use and b) is it for profit, or personal gain. If the answer for those two is a) no or b) yes, you fail fair use immediatly. Even then, Lucas has every right to say no to fan ficton and crack down on it. Which in that case, fair use starts to narrow to parody or research purposes.

where your safer and in fair use is being in the SW galaxy but using unique characters. or vaguely based in other stories. You and I are recognisable to some degree as LOTR - however use in RP within SW would be fair use, esp as the characters are not 100% Legolas or Aragorn.

The thread in question is not fair use at all. It's blatant 100% plagerism. Gurney suggested cahnages that would make it become fair use, which I suggest is done.

ReaperFett
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:08:37 AM
Dasq, yes, you can consider it fan fiction, but that isnt any sort of legal standing. You're still using something copyrighted without permission.

Jimmy
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:38:32 PM
No Comment. O_o

Neyasha
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:48:05 PM
If you have no comment then why did you post?.....

Figrin D'an
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:06:18 PM
It ultimately comes down to this simple fact... we, as people whom borrow ideas/concepts from published works (books, films, etc.) walk a very fine line regarding copyright and plagerism. Marcus did a pretty good job of pointing out the legality of what we do here. While that is indeed true, the aspect that must be most examined is where exactly to draw the line such that legal action against the community is avoided.

As has been pointed out, Lucasfilm could, if they really wanted to, push to shut down every Star Wars-related fan site on the Internet... us, gaming fan sites, TF.N... everything. They have the legal standing to do so. But, they choose not to, because it's good, free advertising for their product... just consider how much money such sites have indirectly generated for the Star Wars franchise. As part of a show of good faith for legal "leeway" that has been unofficially granted to groups like us, we attempt to curtail the most blatantly obvious cases of plagerism... ie. verbatim stealing of characters and storylines from established sources. Doing so helps to diminish the chances of legal action being taken against the community.

Yes, this is a very subjective process. We borrow names of characters, planets, organizations... we borrow pieces of storylines from a myriad of source materials... it really comes down to how much is borrowed from a particular source. The line has to be drawn at some point along the spectrum, and while it may step on the toes of a few, the value of the principle goes beyond just the legality matters.

Jimmy
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:12:18 PM
Originally posted by Neyasha
If you have no comment then why did you post?.....

To express my views :)..i think "No Comment" says it all.

AmazonBabe
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:20:03 PM
I dunno... I was finding the thread to be somewhat humorous...

Syrius Cline
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:45:44 AM
Well I use a Deadpool character and a Jesse Custer character. In fact, I used the same name for the latter and no one raised this much of a fuss. Though I did change some key things.

However, and forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm uneducated in this matter, couldn't this be considered parody? Perhaps a comical poke at the X-Files? Isn't Parody and something else I can't remember protected by copywrite laws? Which is why SNL can make fun of everything they want without anyone peeping.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:06:50 AM
It's not parody when it's intent is not parody. I do not see that thread as a parody. I see it as plagerism. Soem forms of parody are considered fair use. The purpose must be for parody and clearly as such to pass fair use test.

A lack of thread being funny is a hint it's not parody.

Though I did change some key things

Then you have become covered by fair use and your own unique ideas.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:04:00 AM
Should have taken 5 seconds and changed some names... cmon guys.

ReaperFett
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:14:36 AM
But what do you class as "key"? Name and plot aside, they reference this universe. They don't work for the FBI on a planet called America or anything.

Hart
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:02:53 PM
This is kinda silly, don't you think? I mean, almost all of us are using copyrighted images or images exclusive to a website or something. You couldn't take Spiderman, add some green to his costume, and then make him a blonde and British and then sell comics of him as "Spiderchum." That's still illegal. Just like you can't write a book called Tanya Grotter with similarities to Harry Potter. We should all just appreciate having some fun, and not just single out some people and criticize them.

Destiny Stormrider
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:11:50 PM
:lol actually I remember reading something about J.K.Rowling being sued by some woman who claimed that she stole her story, and the term "Muggle".

Anthony Scott
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:17:43 PM
I model myself after Scott Stapp -- I mean, right down to the clothes too. :\ I even took part of his name and used it for this character and another.

Hope I'm still 'in bounds'

Xazor Elessar
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:19:20 PM
I've even used things from LOTR -- besides my piccies. I've done scene recreations and even some word for word stuff here and there.

Dasquian and I are even doing an RP right now and his homeworld is Rivendell, basically. We both go through and describe it like it is, give it a different name, and hey -- guess we're in the bounds of 'okay'.

I think what they're doing is fine. I have no idea, since I never watched the show, but did they use the same names? If so, they could have gone and changed 'em -- but if not -- I don't see a problem, really.

Gurney Devries
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:20:28 PM
Originally posted by Hart
This is kinda silly, don't you think? I mean, almost all of us are using copyrighted images or images exclusive to a website or something. You couldn't take Spiderman, add some green to his costume, and then make him a blonde and British and then sell comics of him as "Spiderchum." That's still illegal. Just like you can't write a book called Tanya Grotter with similarities to Harry Potter. We should all just appreciate having some fun, and not just single out some people and criticize them. If there wasn't a line drawn between what this poster is doing and what everyone else does then what, exactly, gives people the impression that he is doing something wrong and most everyone else is not? Do you honestly think that a random poster was selected to be singled out for no particular reason?

There is a fine-line we walk here when we "borrow" things from other sources. This person is really toe-ing the line. He didn't leap right over it and ignore it, as some other people have done. But he's definitely wading in dangerous waters.

Like I said: Changing some names would help. So would taking a little more logical approach to the matter. I'm not saying that he should entirely trash the idea, just work it in a little better.

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:31:47 PM
Originally posted by Destiny Stormrider
:lol actually I remember reading something about J.K.Rowling being sued by some woman who claimed that she stole her story, and the term "Muggle".

Someone in Russia copied the Harry Potter concept down to a tee virtually, basically calling her Harrina Potter and sending her to Hugwerts School.

Hart
Apr 26th, 2003, 02:47:41 PM
That was what my "Tanya Grotter" statement was about above. Thankfully, the courts ruled in favor or Rowling.

Lady Vader
Apr 26th, 2003, 06:49:10 PM
OK, how bout we suggest he change the names to Mox Fulder and Sana Dully? Actually... those sound kinda SWish.

But aside from that, he could also say they're from a divison of the NR that investigates paranormal crap (not so much aliens)... (this last part I believe was suggested by someone else somewhere).

Morgan Evanar
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:43:34 PM
Ugh, would it be so hard for the poster to make up new names? Am I the only person that can do it in 2 minutes and be satisfied with the result?

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:49:06 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Ugh, would it be so hard for the poster to make up new names? Am I the only person that can do it in 2 minutes and be satisfied with the result?

No, but I suppose Ip Eenow or Crackavalium Anddropov aint quite suitable.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 26th, 2003, 09:54:39 PM
The point is that everyone models their character in some form or another by either books, movies or famous people. That's fine but there is called utter and complete plagarism. Being specific to where you are literally taking another character from another medium and sticking it into star wars where it has no business being is wrong.

As for the star wars characters names and ideas and tech .. that is covered in the copy right notice that is on the portal and main page. Our butts are covered for that not anything else. Besides, it's just plain rude to do something like that imo ... taking everything from another source ... not tweaking it so it's yours in some fashion or another -_-

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 27th, 2003, 03:03:34 PM
I don't. Well, my closest one would be of course Arya, but... Yeah my characters are nearly 100% mine. I'd say 99.5% original (aside from Star Wars references, places, and technology of course).

imported_Blade Ice
Apr 28th, 2003, 10:14:55 AM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
If they tried to be more reasonable (again: "Werewolf-like aliens" aren't exactly out of place here), changed a few names to something more Star Wars-y and didn't steal lines right out of the show, then yes, it would basically be fine. Not using pics of the show's characters would be a big plus.

Look for oddities in the SWU. For example, the evil "miasma" that used to circulate around the spot where the second Death Star was destroyed.

It's actually not a bad idea. But it was executed very poorly.

I just want to say i didn't copy any lines from the show, Names yes call it lack of name ideas at the time. I did have the idea of crossing the X-files like thing over to SWfans for awhile but it seems I jumped the gun.

When i created the accounts Yes the names where stolen but i was planning on having them change after I got an idea for them. That is all you can all go back to your bashing now.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:03:19 PM
I have no idea if this was ever brought up before or not but....

If the Mulder and Scully names are banned/removed strictly on the charge of plagarism, then why is the character Darth Vader allowed to remain?

imported_Blade Ice
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:12:58 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
It's not parody when it's intent is not parody. I do not see that thread as a parody. I see it as plagerism. Soem forms of parody are considered fair use. The purpose must be for parody and clearly as such to pass fair use test.

A lack of thread being funny is a hint it's not parody.

Just because you don't think its funny Marcus doesn't mean its not a parody.

Diego Van Derveld
Apr 28th, 2003, 01:09:50 PM
Originally posted by Lady Daiquiri
I have no idea if this was ever brought up before or not but....

If the Mulder and Scully names are banned/removed strictly on the charge of plagarism, then why is the character Darth Vader allowed to remain?

Because anyone who takes more than a cursory glance at the username will realize that it isn't the same DV from the OT.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:31:02 PM
Isnt it the same as this situation? I honestly fail to see any difference. Im not trying to start anything with anyone. I just dont understand why DV is different than FM and DS.

Figrin D'an
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:43:15 PM
The "Darth Vader" character here on the board isn't a carbon copy verbatim rip of the character from the films. There are significant differences that can be viewed in that character's posts. The "Mulder and Scully" characters were identical to the characters from The X-Files tv series, including names, verbal mannerisms and personalities.

From my previous post:

Yes, this is a very subjective process. We borrow names of characters, planets, organizations... we borrow pieces of storylines from a myriad of source materials... it really comes down to how much is borrowed from a particular source. The line has to be drawn at some point along the spectrum, and while it may step on the toes of a few, the value of the principle goes beyond just the legality matters.

Figrin D'an
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:45:58 PM
Originally posted by Blade Ice
Just because you don't think its funny Marcus doesn't mean its not a parody.

That's what disclaimers are for. If it is indeed a parody, you need to make it clearly evident.

Sanis Prent
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:46:14 PM
Because DV is not DV.

The Darth Vader in this RP universe is NOT Anakin Skywalker, turned Dark Lord of the Sith. That man died at the end of RotJ, but only one person actually witnessed this.

Thus if someone were to don the mask, they quite literally would "become" Darth Vader, as to appearances, the visage is essence.

imported_Blade Ice
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:07:54 PM
Figrin D'an I never said it was a parody but based on Marcus’s theory the idea of funny revolves around him. It was meant to be somewhat comical yes but just because Marcus doesn't think so doesn't mean everyone else thinks that way is my point towards his comment. Marcus sometimes comes off as everything revolves around his idea and that everyone follows his lead, I'm just pointing out him that it doesn't.

Now I have admitted my wrong, I didn't claim innocence just stupidity on my part. You guys can sit here and bash what I did but it’s all been taken care of the admins did the right thing even though neglected to inform me but it’s done its over with.

I could probably sit here and fight about it until I'm bared six feet under but I have learned from past incidence with other boards not argue with admins even if your 100% right. In this case though I have no reason to fights I know its wrong I made a mistake because I was in to much of a hurry to think of new names and go out and look for original pics.

as for the issue of the DV name sake, the story line maybe original but the name and the pic witch was exactly what allot you where complaining about with my character. I won't fight it though charley did allot to establish his character even though I don't get how he got the title Darth Vader since most siths titles are not taken from a dead sith but there’s storyline to back that up I'm guessing.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:18:14 PM
And what about Vash? I've seen some of his RPs and even am RPing with him. He carries the name, the avatar, the skill with a gun, and even the obsession with donuts.

However, Vash is working as a janitor for GJO. Does that make it plagarism?

I don't quite think it is, and I see many similarities between Vash and this Mulder and Scully debate.

ReaperFett
Apr 28th, 2003, 03:20:02 PM
What about Boba Fett? He RPs, from what I know, Boba Fett. Or the fact that the Senate is led by Leia?

Figrin D'an
Apr 28th, 2003, 04:29:16 PM
You are correct in that it has been dealt with, and as far as I'm concerned, the issue is handled. Any further concerns can be addressed to staff privately.

Thread closed.