PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:42:30 PM
From ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?id=1544068

CINCINNATI -- Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer signed a contract Thursday with the Cincinnati Bengals, who have the draft's top pick and a history of ruining young quarterbacks.

The Bengals narrowed their candidates for the No. 1 pick to Palmer, quarterback Byron Leftwich and cornerback Terence Newman, then targeted the passer from Southern California this week.

Palmer's agent, David Dunn, agreed on contract parameters late Wednesday, and filled in the rest of the details on a seven-year deal that includes $14 million in bonuses.

Palmer got a $10.01 million signing bonus, and will get another $4.01 million roster bonus in 22 months. The contract will turn into a six-year deal if he's in for 35 percent of the plays in any season.

Palmer can make roughly $40 million in bonuses and base salary over six years, with escalators that could take it to $49 million. He'll get $18.25 million in the first three years through bonuses and salary.

Getting a pre-draft deal with Palmer was a priority for first-year coach Marvin Lewis, who is trying to change the Bengals' reputation for bungling away chances to improve through the draft.

The Bengals have been the NFL's worst team over the past 12 years, in part because they've mishandled their quarterbacks. They moved up to take David Klingler in the first round in 1992, and chose Akili Smith with the third overall pick in 1999.

Neither one had much of a chance on a team that hasn't had a winning record since 1990. Both missed training camp in contract disputes, then got thrown into the lineup as unprepared rookies.

Klingler, who came from a run-and-shoot offense at Houston, and Smith, a mobile passer from Oregon, were confined by the Bengals' passing philosophy. They tried to turn both of them into Ken Anderson clones -- stand in the pocket until the last second, then dump it off if necessary.

Klingler lasted only four years with a weak offensive line and an unimpressive receiving corps -- Jeff Query was his top target at the outset.

The Bengals did even worse with Smith, who got less than one full season as a starter before he was discarded. The Bengals teamed him with rookie receivers Peter Warrick and Ron Dugans in 2000, when head coach Bruce Coslet quit three games into the season.

Coslet was in charge of developing Smith, who got little guidance and wound up relegated to third string for the past two seasons. He's still on the roster.

Palmer has one thing in his favor: Lewis understands the importance of bringing a young quarterback along slowly. Plus, Lewis needs to win right away, so he'll let veteran Jon Kitna run the offense this season, with Smith currently in line as the backup.

The Bengals were willing to trade down with the first pick, but found no suitable partner. They brought in Palmer, Leftwich and Newman for interviews with the staff and front office this month before finally deciding to go with the more acclaimed quarterback.

Palmer is 6-foot-4 and more of a pocket passer than either Klingler or Smith. After going 16-16 in his first three seasons, he got the Trojans into the top 10 and led them to the Orange Bowl last season.

Palmer was the first of Southern Cal's five Heisman winners to play quarterback, and the first Heisman winner chosen No. 1 in the draft since Tampa Bay took Vinny Testaverde in 1987.

Like Klingler and Smith, he comes to Cincinnati brimming with confidence that he will be different.

"I've not met a whole lot of people like me," he said at the scouting combine in February. "I think I can go in and turn it around."

Palmer, 23, started 45 games for Southern California during a five-year career lengthened by an injury-related redshirt for the 1999 season. He completed 927 of 1,569 passes for 11,818 yards, with 72 touchdown passes and 49 interceptions.

Hmm interesting...will Palmer bust or actually do well? Didn't Marvin Lewis all ready say Jon Kitna was the starter? This'll be semi-interesting

Figrin D'an
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:58:03 PM
Ideally, I think Cincinnati would have rather traded the #1 pick, and grabed a later pick in the first round, plus another first rounder from next year. But, there just wasn't a market for the pick this year, so they really did the only thing that they could. Considering that the Bungals have had a slew of problems getting top picks to sign in years past, it seems that they actually did something right for once.

JMK
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:47:20 PM
Well Palmer's career is over. Sorry kid, there's always the CFL. ;)

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:33:31 PM
:lol :lol

I know it's the Bungals but let's actually see what they can do this time. Maybe Marvin Lewis can actually DO something for the team.

yeah right...:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:17:32 PM
I feel sorry for the poor soul he is in for a lot of trouble there, if I was him I wouldn't have signed with them. I don't they can turn it around actually this hurts them because they have so many holes that this won't do them any good, IMO, they still will have the most losses next year.

JMK
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:30:31 PM
I wonder how bad the Lions are going to be next year. Who the hell is Harrington going to throw the ball to? Maybe they'll draft a real receiver...

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:34:05 PM
Charles Rogers from Michigan State...I believe his names is Charles Rogers...with the #2 pick I bet they'll take him

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:27:40 PM
<font size=5><font color=FF9999>CARSON PALMER'S CAREER WILL BE A BRIGHT ONE*</font></font>

*Bright, like an imminent fiery explosion

Morgan Evanar
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:29:39 PM
Hehehe. A QB is only good as the line he's throwing behind. Anyone who knows football at all knows that a good line is absolutely critical on both sides of the ball.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:31:29 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Hehehe. A QB is only good as the line he's throwing behind. Anyone who knows football at all knows that a good line is absolutely critical on both sides of the ball.

I love you*

*not gay

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:32:35 PM
And you have to have recievers. I am curious what was the last #1 pick who was a QB who flopped? I know Archie Manning didn't put up great numbers but he played like 10 years for the awful Saints Palmer better not hope his career goes like that.
As for the Lions I think Rogers is a safe bet he is the best WR in the draft, IMO he will really help them.

Figrin D'an
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:49:20 PM
Charles Rogers will improve the Lions quite a bit. He's a poor man's Randy Moss, without the attitude problem. He gives Harrington the deep threat that they lacked all of last season.

Anyway... everyone looks at the first round for the big playmakers and potential superstars... it's the third through seventh rounds that make the difference (ie. the teams that can pick out the diamonds in the rough).

jjwr
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:31:14 AM
Marvin Lewis is a pretty smart guy, as long as he has his way Palmer will sit the bench for a year and actaully learn how to play instead of getting thrown to the wolves.

At least we can hope, poor kid.

JMK
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:56:35 AM
Who's he going to learn from in Cincy? What is he going to learn? How to lose repeatedly? :p

Jedieb
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:31:40 AM
Until the Bungles get things straightened out in the front office Lewis and Palmer will be working against unprecedented ineptitude. Actually, it's not unprecedented, just look at the Bucs under the Culverhouses. A horrid start, a brief flash of brilliance, and then a couple of decades of ineptitude. Same thing with the Bungles. They may make a run for a playoff spot in the next few years, but I doubt they'll do much more than that until they get someone like Rich McKay in their front office.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:46:26 AM
Yeah as long as Brown is running the show they aren't going anywhere, he has got to be the worst owner in sports. His father must be rolling over in his grave watching him ruin his team. About the draft the Jets just traded their two first round pics for the Bears 1st (4th pick overall) not sure who they want, you would think they might be interested in Johnson from Miami, but he maybe gone by then. Maybe they want that great DT from Kentucky?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:19:00 PM
Looks like the Pats are trying to get the #2 pick from Detriot they might even go to Houston if that doesn't work they must really want a certain player probably that DT stud from Kentucky.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:52:29 PM
I changed the title since the talk is movie towards the other picks.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:32:27 AM
No real big shocks so far Rogers went #2 to Detriot and Andre Johnson went to Houston, the Jets are on the clock now and I think they will draft Dwaye Robinson.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:43:07 AM
Dallas just took Terrance Newman from Kansas State, he is a real good CB should make that secondary even better. The Cardinals up have no clue who they will take.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 10:59:29 AM
First surprise of the day the Saints trade their two #1s for Arizona and pick Sullivan from Georgia??? Everybody said the Saints wanted Truant the best CB still on the board and they pick the 3rd best DT in the draft what were they thinking.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:18:48 AM
Several players dropped because of the NO trade then the Vikings decided to pass again (they did this last year) and picked three picks later that was a comical scene, they must have the keystone cops running that team. The Rams are on the clock, man 11 picks in one hour this is a fast draft.

sirdizzy
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:57:25 PM
what the hell is denver thinking they took an OT when they are fine on their offensive line

<smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> all mighty they lost 2 CBs to free agency they needed a CB damn it

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:56:42 PM
Should I be concerned about Holmes? KC took Johnson from Penn St. with their first round pick. Now Johnson is a very good back I think he could rush 1000 yards in the NFL but what does that mean about Holmes? First I think Johnson will give KC a good backup which was a problem last year and could even give him a break. Also I think he will be fine I am more worried about a contract dispute. I think that could be part of this the GM is sending Holmes a message that if you don't come to camp we can replace you. I think he will come to camp and we will have a good 1-2 punch running game. Now the problem is our defense, hopefully they can find a passrusher in the late rounds.

Figrin D'an
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:21:30 PM
Not a lot of excitement on the first day... the "5 picks in 4 minutes" in the mid-first round was funny. The only big gamble was the one that people might have expected, with McGahee going to Buffalo. He got drafted in the first round, and he was the first RB taken... I think it's time for his agent to shut up. Playing McGahee this upcoming season would be a huge mistake. Hopefully the Bills will realize that, and sign him to an incentive-based contract.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 26th, 2003, 11:53:35 PM
The Bills have two other running backs Henry and Gary he can actually sit with them. Still the bills have other needs I don't see why they made such a gamble.

Taylor Millard
Apr 27th, 2003, 12:46:25 AM
Well he could be trade-bait later on if he turns out to be fairly healthy and can play.

It depends on the contract they give him too...it could be they try to get another 1st rounder out of him in next year's draft.

If the contract is too money-laden, then he's not going to be trade bait.

Of course, these days, the only way players change teams is through free agency.

or to my knowledge at least.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 12:57:15 AM
it depends on the contract some players are moveable.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 27th, 2003, 01:56:46 AM
IMO, what Miami needs is a larger linebacker. What did the Fish do in the draft?

Figrin D'an
Apr 27th, 2003, 02:12:26 AM
Miami took a linebacker in the second round, then they had two picks in the third that I believe they used on offensive linemen.

I was fairly pleased with what Green Bay did... I was happy they didn't try to trade up in the first round to take a QB, or take someone like Ragone or Simms, whom weren't legit first round picks... they took a LB in the first, Barnett out of Oregon State, which is exactly what I hoped they would do, then they grabbed Ohio State DE Kenny Peterson in the third round... only two players on Day 1, but they were good picks.

Taylor Millard
Apr 27th, 2003, 02:44:15 AM
Well they've got Eric Crouch now (who is a legit QB), so if he works out with them (which I think he should) then they have their QB of the future (after Favre retires).

I was pleased with Dallas' draft day today also.

They have in the makings a good secondary (which needed a major upgrade). With Terrance Newman joining Roy Williams and Darren Woodsen in the secondary, then there's a threat.

They did a nice job getting a well-rounded tight end and they have another center.

But it's just the first 3 rounds...let's see how rounds 4-7 go too.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:04:15 PM
And Jedieb do you know anything about Kawika Mitchell he is from South Florida. My Chiefs drafted him in the second round. And I know you went to school there and maybe have some kind of insight if he is really good. Their are some people who are saying he will be a steal. I hope so :) Heck the Chiefs might have two steals we got Wilkerson from OU in the 6th round, this kid can play he was great at OU.

JMK
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:49:56 PM
I'm pleased with what the Dolphins got considering they weren't picking until past the midway point of the 2nd round. Apparently (I don't remember which pick) one of them has phenomenal footwork, and that's half the battle done right there. I'm glad they decided to draft for the offensive line, the current one is getting old and may not have much more than one more season left in them.

sirdizzy
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:55:08 PM
i am just dumbfounded by the broncos draft

the position they needed to fill the most CB they took zero of

the position they needed to fill the least RB they took 2 of (hell they let olandis gary go to buffalo and they are still overloaded in tailbacks)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2003, 02:57:40 PM
Well as for DB the draft was kind of weak after the top 2 there, I know my Chiefs needed one and they got one in the 3rd Battle, who has talent but hasn't really lived up to it yet. Really there wasn't any body in the first round to take. Not sure why your Broncos didn't take one? Unless they are going after Springs when he gets released.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2003, 04:27:34 PM
I still think Griese is going to end up in Miami now that Plummer is in Denver.

Figrin D'an
Apr 28th, 2003, 04:51:07 PM
That seems even more likely now that the Dolphins released Ray Lucas. $10 says Lucas ends up in Dallas.

Taylor Millard
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:48:49 PM
K $10 bucks right here.

YOu take cash or check or Paypal?

;)

Taylor Millard
Apr 28th, 2003, 06:50:35 PM
On the Griese question...yes but the Fish have Feidler all ready?

Why take Griese if you all ready have a proven QB?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:49:06 PM
I guess because they think Griese is better if that is true or not they will find out.

JMK
Apr 28th, 2003, 08:11:17 PM
Fiedler is competent, but he really hasn't proven anything except that he throws so many uncatchable balls after week 12 that they barely make the playoffs. I'd try my luck with Griese even if he is a bit of a rebel.

jjwr
Apr 29th, 2003, 08:17:50 AM
I think the Pats did pretty good in the Draft. Its too bad they missed out on Sullivan but Warren should be decent, his story seems to be that he'll be a better End than a Tackle so one of their 7th rounders may take over the Tackle spot and Warren will move to end with Seymour on the other end. Not a bad young line.

Getting the CB they got in round 2 was a great pick, this guy was picked to be in the 1st round(Eugene something....) and one mock draft had the Pats picking him with their 19th pick. If these rookies pan out a bit their defense could be great this year. Ty Law, Tyrone Pool and the rookie as the CB's, Rodney Harrison and Lawyer Millow as the Safeties. A front 3 of Seymour, Warren and a DT to be named later. The LB's are still a bit of a question Mark, they've got Colvin which will be huge, and Brushi, Ted Johnson, Phifer, and Vrabel to go along with him but those aren't enough in a 3-4, especially with their injury history.

What I am curious about is why the Pats didn't go after one of the tall receivers in the draft. Right now their top three receivers are in the 5-10 range, all good but short. And they draft Bethlehem Johnson(I think thats his last name), who's also in the 5-10 range. But he's supposed to be a major speed demon and he's strong so he may be a great deep threat and return threat.

For you Dolphins Fans, whats the word on Oronde Gadsen? Before the Draft the Pats had expressed interest in him but that was put off until the Draft was over. If the Pats could get him that would be a great pickup and their offense would be looking a lot better with Bethlehem, Oronde and a healthy Troy Brown, Deion Branch and Daniel Graham.

Course theres always RB, I don't think anyone is sold on Antowan Smith, but they've got a 2nd year guy Womack who sat out last year due to a ACL(Same deal as McGahee) who is a Dark Horse and may end up being a great featured back(or he could suck, we'll see).

sirdizzy
Apr 29th, 2003, 08:35:44 AM
well denver will most definitly drop griese in july after they can split the salary cap to half this year half next

i think they would keep him if he didn't have such an outrageously high contract

JMK
Apr 29th, 2003, 09:49:50 AM
I don't know what Gadsen's status is, but I would ditch Cris Carter and keep Gadsen. I hope your Pats don't get him! He's a terrific secret weapon! >D

jjwr
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:04:47 AM
I heard Carter had retired for good.

I'd love it if the Pats got Gadsen, he'd be a great pickup.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:59:20 AM
I thought I read that as well. Also there should be some more cuts come June, other than Griese I known Tony Brackens, from JAX will be cut and I have heard about Springs from Seattle not sure who else might get the axe.