PDA

View Full Version : Planetside: The review

Dark Lord Dyzm
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:08:03 PM
Seeing how they had lifted the NDA on Planetside awhile ago, I guess I'll give my Review.

Planetside is the first MMOFPS (Massive Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter). For a game based around a free roaming world like Everquest, there is very little to do. There is only one thing to do, run around with guns, shoot the enemy, capture the enemy base. Now, you can also fly around in a total of 3 different Aircraft. Misquito (scout), Reaver (Assault), Galaxy (Transport)
Which have weapons that rival that of the all mighty spitwad.
You find yourself wasting half your missiles from the Reaver on one slightly armored man.

If flying does not suit you, then try one of the many land vehicles, or use the skill points you gain. (by killing people or taking over bases) on one of the 3 skills, (Medic, Hacker, Engineer)
Like I said, very little to do besides killing, which is fun... yet, it is also very unbalanced.

Major Grips:

1.Little to no Splash Damage.
2. Weakness of Missiles
3. Not Enough flying vehicles
4. Should have wildlife (gain maybe 10-20 exp points for killing them)
5. Headshots will not automatically kill someone
6. Need a prone setting
7. Should have colony towns or cities on some islands
8. Not enough weapons
9. Grenade launchers fire roughly the distance a person could throw a grenade.
10. Thrown Grenades travel roughly the distance of someone spitting.
11. Guns need to do more damage
12. Guns need better accuracy if they a beam type weapon.
13. Being in a MAX Combat Suit should limit visibility.

Lion El' Jonson
May 4th, 2003, 02:20:30 PM
Wow, Dyzm...catchy title. Sorta like "Dad: The Paragraph"...:lol

So, it ain't really that great? Judging from your review, I guess I expected more from it. Maybe it's that it was in development too long. Still, I would have figured the game would be more balanced by now.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 4th, 2003, 03:27:48 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of "Spaceballs: The Movie"

Yeah, they keep patching it, fixing it, the latest patched fixed half of those problems. Yet, the missiles for the Reavers are still freaking weak. Takes 12 something missiles to kill a MAX, and at least 2-3 dead on shots to kill a running person.

The reavers act alot like th helicopters in Battlefield, but the machine guns on them suck at any range over 10 ft. You have to fly right behind the guy and blast away at point blank range. Luckly, sound still sucks and you can't tell if you flying behind him or 500ft overhead.

Darth007
May 17th, 2003, 09:33:43 PM
yeah man I downloaded the beta. Its a good thing because I was going to buy the game on the 20th. The game is so buggy, confusing and just boring. I mean, you run the game, pick from 5 different servers, each one is a different continent(guess??) and then drop u in a building to buy stuff and a crazy <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> HUD with so much garbage on it.

Sorry but CS is free and im addicted.