PDA

View Full Version : Computer Pop-Ups

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:05:07 AM
Every now and then I have these messages pop-up onto my computer screen and I've no idea where they're coming from. I'll attatch an image of one of these messages. They're really annoying and frell up games when I'm playing them. If anyone has any idea of what these are and how to stop them please let me know and yes, I have Ad-Aware and use it frequently.

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:06:10 AM
Gah. Forgot to attatch the image.

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:12:42 AM
Good grief! I've only just read that message! :lol

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:19:15 AM
If using XP, and I assume so by the look of the screenshot:

Click Start - Run

Type

services.msc /s

Click Ok

Scroll to Messenger on the right and double click it.

In the Messenger properties window that comes up select the Startup type drop down and change it to Disabled.

In the Service status: area click the "Stop" button.

Click Ok

Close the Services window.

Problem solved. You will not get these spam messages any more and its totally free, unlike what that spam says about you needing to get software for it at whatever URL they suggest.

P.S. You will never need the Messenger service so this is completely safe to do. Messenger Service != MSN Messenger

( != means does not equal )

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:31:26 AM
Ah. I've been getting these too. Thanks for ze help.

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:35:46 AM
Thanks very much. May your hours of unhindered games-playing be long and prosperous! I know mine will be! :D

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:36:42 AM
I keep getting pop up adverts with the title 'Save'. I tried ad-aware to try and get rid of it with no sucess, this is something different though and wont help me will it?

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:39:16 AM
Originally posted by Oriadin
I keep getting pop up adverts with the title 'Save'. I tried ad-aware to try and get rid of it with no sucess, this is something different though and wont help me will it? I would need to see one (a screen shot) to have a better idea of what they are.

Screenshots can be done via the "PrtScr" or "Print Screen" button on your keyboard while the message is on the screen, then pasted into an art application for saving/resizing/cropping.

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:40:13 AM
Ok, its on my home PC so will get that up ASAP. Thanks

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:47:30 AM
Helped me too. Excellent thank you OGre :)

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:52:56 AM
My sister's computer does that ALL THE TIME. Now I can fix it ^_^;

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:58:57 AM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
The Solution As an addition to this solution for XP PCs with multiple user accounts (log on names): For this to work properly you need to be using an account that has administrator privileges. But most of the people reading this will more than likely only have a single user account, which by default is the administrative account.

Alana Stormcloud
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:10:46 AM
Thankie so much for that one :) I do think Ogre should be given a medal for all the help he has given. Heck props or something , cause I can't count the times he has helped me lol :p

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:44:32 PM
Without all-knowing forum deities like Ogre and whinging swines like me in the world, we would all be in pop-up chaos! :lol

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:38:08 PM
I'm bringing this up cause I'm wondering if this would work with Win2K? Don't wanna go in there and start doing stuff if it's not gonna work and or screw it up. *this comp has been improved tenfold, and screwing it up = my death bed.*

General Tohmahawk
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:53:54 PM
Yes, disabling the Messenger service in W2K is done pretty much the same and is safe.

Kelt Simoson
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:56:15 PM
Man Ogre-fan is good :)

Cheers Big Green :)

General Tohmahawk
Aug 24th, 2003, 07:04:16 PM
Whoah, hang on. Hold the thought. Your internet facing interface must not have the ability to get RPC calls. If you are getting Messenger popups, you are directly facing the internet without a firewall or at least a NAT translator. This is bad. Very bad, you are basically open to the rest of the world. At the least, in the netowrkign properties of the Internet conenction, turn off Client for MS Networks and File and Print sharing, plus QOS packet scheduler if you have XP. Only have TCP/IP going.

This is only done for machines that are direct connect and only on the interface that faces the internet.

If you have XP, also turn on the Internet Firewall.

Nathanial K'cansce
Aug 24th, 2003, 07:43:03 PM
There is a firewall on this thing, and it was up and running all fine and dandy as well as a pop-up blocker I have.. yet I still got the message type pop-up.

I'll do that disabling thing soon.

Park Kraken
Aug 24th, 2003, 08:38:06 PM
Spam, and Telemarketers, the modern day versions of the Biblical plagues.

Ace McCloud
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:02:00 PM
you know it did have www.pop-updestroyer.com on there. Thats what I used... Pretty much tells you what SW said though.

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:29:06 PM
OMG OMG i needed that so much, thank you Ogre!! *tacklehugs* :crack

imported_Firebird1
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:57:19 PM
Still, get a firewall. It's the only way to be sure that your protected from other problems (such as IRC bots).
3 Cheers for Ogre!

Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

TheHolo.Net
Aug 25th, 2003, 12:07:37 AM
Heh ^_^;

Here is a link to a free firewall solution. I'm not sure how easy to use it is, but it comes recommended to me by people saying good things about it, and best of all....its 100% free for personal home use. It works with Windows XP, 2000, NT, ME, and 98

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

imported_Marcus
Aug 25th, 2003, 03:00:16 AM
After seeing the state of the network here I'm working on right now not sure if a firewall in the hands of a newbie is a bad thing or not. Bad I think. Firewall misconfigured by PFY, network 0wnd.

Least it's good money

Shawn
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:48:27 PM
I hear Zone Alarm is a pretty good, free firewall that will suit the needs of most people. I used it briefly, and it seemed ok. It was very simple to use, so I offer it as an alternative, with the disclaimer that you may want to read up on it before using it.

Figrin D'an
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:11:57 PM
I use ZoneAlarm, and I'll vouch for it. It works very well. It's pretty easy to use, although it does help if you take some time to learn firewall basics so you understand how and why to set a few features.