PDA

View Full Version : If you were to make a list...

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:22:41 PM
and call it the Nine Wonders of the Galaxy (star wars of course), what would you put on it?

Already inducted:

1) Cathedral of the Winds, on Vortex
2) the floating herd ships of Ithor
3) Massassi ruins on Yavin IV
4) the Corellian System and Centerpoint Station
5) Library of Obroa-skai
6)
7) the Imperial Palace on Coruscant
8)
9)

Garrett Blade
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:29:54 PM
My mind, baby!!! :):):)

Seriously though...

MY MIND, BABY!!! :):):)

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:31:09 PM
The meteor field that is/was Alderaan.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:31:29 PM
It is a wonder, that's for sure. ;)

The Jedi temple on Coruscant? The senate building?

Garrett Blade
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:31:53 PM
That planet where the city's disguised by some kind of mystical hologram - it looks like some old ruins to observers, but the true city's beneath it.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:32:23 PM
Library of Obrai-Ska or whatever the name is
Theed Palace, Naboo
Senate, Coruscant
The Corellian System
Sith temples of Yavin IV
Oddball

Sejah Haversh
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:33:25 PM
Cap'n Plucky's Corndog Palace on Tatooine.

Garrett Blade
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:33:34 PM
Maybe the Valley of the Jedi, but not the boring old Jedi Temple or any building on Coruscant.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:34:47 PM
Senate building is a wonder!

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:34:58 PM
The Rebel Base where they blew up the first Death Star. Methinks it was Yavin IV, but I have a poor memory.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:37:13 PM
THe manassai ruins! We have a winner for number 3. :)

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:40:39 PM
Whoadey! :D ::arbitrarily edits his animation:: Let see if I can come up with more places...how about Cloud City on Bespin?

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:41:28 PM
Refresh my mind on why the Corellian system is so special...

Garrett Blade
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:42:05 PM
EXPELLIAMUS!

How about Centrepoint Station?

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:44:06 PM
Hmm what about the Kuat shipyards....

Tirsa Krylana
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:45:07 PM
:crack

:: hops in naked and strikes a pose ::

ME!!! :D

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:45:10 PM
THe manassai ruins

Do you mean massassi or am I missing something?

Garrett Blade
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:46:26 PM
Er, no - they're crap! Centerpoint Station is the dogs........

Well, it's better than all those! And it's also the reason why the Corellian System is where it is.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:46:48 PM
Massassi

And the Corellian system might not have been there originally. THats the special thing :)

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:48:18 PM
My reasons:

Library of Obrai-Ska or whatever the name is
A library planet

Theed Palace, Naboo
Beauuuuutiful

Senate, Coruscant
The heart of the Galaxy in many ways

The Corellian System
Because it might be thing-made

Sith temples of Yavin IV
Already there

Oddball
Because you want him, and he's worth it ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:48:47 PM
Oh right I forgot about that. Ok...sorry about the misspellings.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:05:06 PM
Is there any reason why you picked the number "nine" for your list?

Telan Desaria
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:05:38 PM
Ahem- -

Imperial Palace, Coruscant - reputedly largest single structure on world on the planet

The Maw - site of sun crusher design - very blackhole-ish

Horuz System - birthplace of the Death Star

Vjun - burial planet of heroic Sith

Lady Vader
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:08:47 PM
Valley of the Jedi, don't remember or know if a planet was ever named for this place.

Ancient Sith Tombs, Korriban.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:10:40 PM
Library of Obrai-Ska

Obroa-skai

Zasz Grimm
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:12:35 PM
Korriban (Just the planet) And or Korriban's temples.

Yinchorr (Just the planet) And or the temples there.

:)

Telan Desaria
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:12:43 PM
Note - -

Why is Cloud City a wonder? There are about a dozen cloud cities on Bespin, each one unique. Nomad City, yes. Cloud City, nope.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:13:02 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
Valley of the Jedi, don't remember or know if a planet was ever named for this place.

The Valley is on Ruusan, although, only a few people are supposed to know that.

Charley
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:15:35 PM
The Fragrant Garden & Sandbox - Carshoulis Prime? :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:17:03 PM
You made that one up, Charley. :lol

Charley
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:17:59 PM
Yes I did...but does tha mean that you can't add it? :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:19:08 PM
We already have temples on the list...and Cloud City isn't a wonder. :mneh

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:23:06 PM
Maw, definately. Good one Telan

Zasz Grimm
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:23:09 PM
Didn't see...

But you didn't put Yinchorr!

:p

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:40:56 PM
The Maw, yes. :D

Alpha
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:43:29 PM
The crystal star thingy from Crystal Star? I know it was a bad book, but it WAS pretty much a wonder...

The Shamans
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:06:22 PM
What about the Cloak of the Sith?

Or even Roon?

Both seem wonderous in their own ways.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:57:31 PM
What is the Cloak of the Sith?

Ok when someone posts up something they think is wondrous, please explain why and exactly what it is, because a lot of these I've not heard of. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:00:53 PM
Oh and in answer to Figrin's question about the number nine:

No.

;)

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:09:17 PM
Nine is a nice number :)

Thug
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:14:24 PM
NINE RULES!!

The Shamans
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:58:42 PM
Found it!

Roon:
System: Roon System
Terrain: Plains, seas, frozen wastes
Species: Humans, aliens
Language: Basic
Points of interest: Port of Nime, Roon Sea

In a remote pocket of the Outer Rim lies a navigator's nightmare ominously known as the Cloak of the Sith. This dark mass of seething gases and spinning asteroids is so hazourdous taht it is officially classified as impenetrable. For the brave few who attempt the crossing, the reward is worth the risk - the Cloak harbours the galaxy's only source of Roonstones.

The legendary planet Roon sits at the heart of the Cloak like a bright sapphire in a well of ink. It rotates on it's axis only once a year, so one side is perpetually lit while the other is cold and caliginous.

The world's inhabitants, an eclectic mix of humans, near humans, and aliens, arrived over the centuries by following the tails of the Rainbow commets. These itinerant ice balls pass close to Roon's small sun once a year and traec out the only safe path through the Cloak of the Sith.

Because of their nearly total isolation, Roon's colonists are tough and self-reliant. They seldom ride a land speeder when a sturdy mogo will do, and still use oar-driven wooden galleys on the sparkling Roon Sea. The annual Colonial Games pit the local provinces against each other in no-holds-barred relay races, the most difficult being the climactic "drainsweeper." The victorious territory secures bragging rights and a measurable political edge for the coming season.

Primitive mudmen are native to Roon, The semisentient creatures can be broken down into many smaller versions of themselves with a concetrated spray of water. The tiniest mudmen are sometimes captured in glass containers and sold as pets.

Roonstones drive the economy of the planet. These fist-sized iridescent gems are worth a fortune on the open market, but their scarcity prevents them from becoming a major export. For generations frustrated miners have drilled empty shafts in vain, searching from the elusive Roonstone source.

A number of years before the Battle of Yavin, R2-D2 and C-3PO journeyed to Roon in the company of their master, Mungo Baobab. Mungo hoped to discover the source of the Roonstones and establish a lucrative trade route in the name of the Baabab Merchant Fleet.

But the villainous Governor Koong had other plans. Koong, the ironfisted ruler of Tawntoom province, would settle for nothing less than the total conquest of Roon and the death of Mungo Baobab. With Emperor Palpatine's observer, Admiral Screed, watching over his shoulder, Koong's agents woke a ravenous shamunaar from hibernation, then tried to fix the Colonial Games. When both schemes failed to eliminate his rivals, Koong blanketed the Umboo province with germ-warfare gas.

To stop the power-mad governor, Mungo and the droids infiltrated his frozen citadel. There they discovered that the stronghold was built on a mountain of Roonstones but lost the gems when the fortress self-detonated.

Mungo, however, had salvaged a few. to his surprise, the rocks contained an embedded poem describing an eons-old battle on Coruscant. This amazing revelation hints at an ancient, alien origin for the Roonstones.

Artoo and Threepio eventually departed from Roon and soon found themselves on a barge bound for the Kalarba system. They thought their lives were about to slow down but they were in for a rude surprise.

From the SW Essential guide to planets and moons
*Taken from a helpful post by Alana!*

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:42:50 PM
Hmmm but why is it called the Cloak of the Sith?

I think the Imperial Palace should be added, that's pretty cool.

Charley
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:46:50 PM
Wasn't the Imperial Palace blasted down to its foundation?

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:48:07 PM
When? o_O

Morgan Evanar
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:23:45 PM
The Maw shouldn't be on the list. There isn't anything amazing about it, aside from the fact that there is stuff near the black holes. Its just a black hole cluster.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:32:51 PM
The Valley of the Jedi would be a good one, IMO. It's the largest contained concentration of spirtual Force energy in the galaxy, even though it was artifically created thought the deaths of a few thousand Jedi and Sith.

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:35:47 PM
It's amazing because OF the black holes

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:52:29 PM
If this is akin to the seven wonders of the ancient world, I don't think including the Maw would fit...since its a natural phenomenon and not one of civilization's doing.

As for the Valley of the Jedi, it is believed to exist on a large basis, its location isn't known, is all.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:03:29 PM
It's amazing because OF the black holes No, black hole clusters aren't really that rare. Sorry.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:16:21 PM
Originally posted by Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
As for the Valley of the Jedi, it is believed to exist on a large basis, its location isn't known, is all.

Originally posted by Figrin D'an
The Valley is on Ruusan, although, only a few people are supposed to know that.

:)

Whether or not the few people that did know it's location ever passed on the knowledge, of course, is unknown.

The Imperial Palace could fit even if it isn't still there... after all, only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World is still standing today.

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:18:38 PM
I know this is sort of off topic, but it may help me to think of more wonders for LD...What WERE the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World? The pyramids were one, if memory serves me, but I'm drawing blanks on the others.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:27:11 PM
I wonder how many people can name them without cheating.... :)

In no particular order:

1) The Great Pyramids at Giza
2) The Lighthouse of Alexandria
3) The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
4) The Temple of Artemus at Ephesus
5) The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
6) The Colossus of Rhodes
7) The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:59:02 PM
No, black hole clusters aren't really that rare. Sorry.

From TF.N's unofficial encyclopedia:

a collection of black holes near Kessel. Its existence is a mystery. The greatest minds in the galaxy have been arguing about its conception: was it a freak of nature, this combination of multiple black holes; or, was it a gateway device created by some lost, ancient civilization. It is slowly drawing the entire Kessel system into the black holes

Existence is a mystery, greatest minds argue about its existence, possible gatway device? Yeah, I'm sure that's just something you get in every galaxy :rolleyes

If we work with what Keer says that they have to be person-made it can still be included, depends on which of the greatest minds you listen to :)

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:11:40 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Yeah, I'm sure that's just something you get in every galaxy :rolleyes

There are several known black hole clusters in the Milky Way. It's not like they're incredibly rare.

But... whatever... if it's a unique phenomia for the Star Wars galaxy, so be it.

The only qualifier then is... is it proven to be artificially constructed? If not... it's a questionable choice, IMO. But, then again, it's not my list.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:22:53 PM
The Crystal City of Berchest comes to mind...

Sean Piett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:36:59 PM
Lost City of the Jedi was a city made by Jedi, hid on one of the Yavins. It was in the Glove of Darth Vader books.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 24th, 2003, 01:32:21 AM
Now that you mention it yes, it should probably be "man-made" ( I use the term loosely around 'aliens' ;)) and as such the Maw shouldn't be on the list.

And I thought that black holes have never been proven to really exist? Goes to show how much I remember about astronomy. :x

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:21:36 AM
They havent. People still argue about it today, although I personally think they do.

ReaperFett
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:39:17 AM
Well ya wrong!

;)

Morgan Evanar
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:49:49 AM
Most of the evidence says yes to black holes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:05:54 AM
Ah ok. But still not proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, eh?

Figrin D'an
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:57:17 PM
There is a difference between the "sci-fi" definition of a black hole, and the actual astronomical definition. That tends to be the source of most confusion.

Beyond someone actually climbing in a spacecraft and flying close enough to a black hole to take pictures, they are known to exist. They're just neutron stars that have imploded, creating enourmous gravity wells. The phemonia has been recorded many times by radiotelescopes and the like.

Telan Desaria
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:00:31 PM
He's right. It's the last thing in the life cycle of a star. Basically and really a sun that has lived and collapsed in on itself.