PDA

View Full Version : Happy St Georges day

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:34:07 AM
Day of our Patron Saint, and this is only the third time I've seen it mentioned :rolleyes

St George is also the Patron Saint of:

Aragon
agricultural workers
archers
armourers
Beirut
Lebanon
Boy Scouts
butchers
Canada
Catalonia
cavalry
chivalry
Constantinople
equestrians
farmers
Ferrara Italy
field hands
field workers
Genoa Italy
Georgia
Germany
Gozo
Greece
herpes
horsemen
horses
husbandmen
Istanbul
knights
lepers
leprosy
Lithuania
Malta
Moscow
Order of the Garter
Palestine
Palestinian Christians
plague, Portugal
riders
saddle makers
saddlers
skin diseases
skin rashes
soldiers
syphilis
Teutonic Knights
Venice

So for all English, Canadians, other countries mentioned, people in the military, horse riders and people with illnesses, I say happy St Georges to you!

<center>
http://www.boomspeed.com/reaperfett/image010.jpg
</center>

Shame this will be about the most patriotic mention I'll see today. Heck, probably the only MENTION

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:35:38 AM
*puts hand on heart and thinks patriotic thoughts*

Patron saint of lepers, I salute you!

Sejah Haversh
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:42:52 AM
Man, St. George is a busy guy, it seems. Though, why would things like herpes, syphillis, and skin diseases need a patron saint?

Perhaps I just don't understand the concept of eing a Patron Saint. I do know he did a darn good job with that dragon, though.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:55:59 AM
*Gasp!*

How can he be the patron saint of Istanbul AND Constantinople? The logic... it's overloading my mind!

Sejah Haversh
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:13:38 AM
Gah, Pierce one-upped me...

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:15:04 AM
Santa Claus is the patron saint of Lawsuits :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:33:46 AM
lmao....

Boy scouts and butchers? This reminds me of Alice Through the Looking Glass.... "The time has come my friend to talk of many things...of sailing ships and [something weird] and cabbages and kings!"

Happy St. Georges Day! I must confess to liking Guy Fawkes Day a lot better. ;)

Joanna King
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:37:12 AM
The time has come my friend to talk of many things...of sailing ships and

...And sealing wax!!

Which I use :D

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:40:13 AM
dunno think I wanna know how.... >_<

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:40:56 AM
I KNEW IT WAS WAX!

^_^; Just didn't remember the 'sealing' part.

Neyasha
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:46:44 AM
"The time has come my friend to talk of many things...of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings! And while the Sea is boiling hot and weather pigs have wings...Ka-loo Ka-lay and run away with cabbages and kings! "

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:54:19 AM
...not sailing ships?

Neyasha
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:59:12 AM
That is the version that I have heard...I wouldn't be suprised if there were other versions that used sailing ships...

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:30:31 PM
I need to find my book....but its in storage. :cry

Charley
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:10:02 PM
Originally posted by Sejah Haversh
Man, St. George is a busy guy, it seems. Though, why would things like herpes, syphillis, and skin diseases need a patron saint?

Perhaps I just don't understand the concept of eing a Patron Saint. I do know he did a darn good job with that dragon, though.

The concept is one of intercession. The saints deliver your prayers to God. I'd imagine if you had crappy diseases like that you'd spend a bit of time praying about it.

Sejah Haversh
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:20:57 PM
Oh! That makes a lot more sense now. I was thinking that he was a protectorate of said diseases just as he is a protectorate of certain professions and places. I get it now.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:04:51 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
*Gasp!*

How can he be the patron saint of Istanbul AND Constantinople? The logic... it's overloading my mind!

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works
That's nobody's business but the Turks

Istanbul (Istanbul)
Istanbul (Istanbul)

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it I can't say
People just liked it better that way

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

So take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:07:33 PM
IT MIGHT BE GIANTS! ^___^ Rock on!

Sejah Haversh
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:09:07 PM
THEY Might Be Giants, Zeke, it's THEY.

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:20:06 PM
I said They. ::checks:: Well, maybe not. Just means I've been told the wrong thing all these years. -_-;

Izumi Chieko
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:04:03 PM
All praise st. George, for he will guide the Canadians to world conquest.............

I mean,

*waves hand*

These are not the droids you seek.

:D

Happy St. George Day, I wish this where a national holiday, then I'd have no school!

ReaperFett
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:28:54 PM
Did you know Germany invaded Canada during WW2?

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:17:29 AM
I find it funny that Germany and England have the same Patron Saint. I find it even more funny that in England they celebrate St Patricks days more! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:14:43 AM
Originally posted by Zeke
IT MIGHT BE GIANTS! ^___^ Rock on!

Stuff that, ever seen the Muppets version?

ReaperFett
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:42:39 AM
I find it even more funny that in England they celebrate St Patricks days more!
I dont.

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:44:50 AM
TMBG are great. If the muppets did a version, it will have just been ripped off from TMBG :mneh

It's sad that I know when Paddy Day is, and yet I had no idea it was St Georges day :| We need some alcohol to sponsor Georgey

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:16:03 AM
To be honest, St. George is a patron saint of too many things. I'm not bothered that St. George's Day goes unnoticed even in England because it's just a reflection of the government's piss-poor attempt, if any, to promote what should be a national holiday. I mean Ireland really pushed for St. Paddy's Day to be celebrate as such and now we've even adopted it as has the rest of the world.

St. George's Day should be a bank holiday and all over England there should be great festivals making the most of some of the key things of which he is the patron saint. In other words, a big English affair with marquee's full of the best meats and savouries, stages on which bands can play great British music booming throughout the parks, archery and jousting tournaments, carnival rides and flags everywhere. It would hold much more water than just a simple drink fest that is St. Paddy's day but the government and authorities do nothing to promote it. In our store we advertised St. Paddy's Day two weeks in advance, we put up the St. George's Day things on the 22nd which I though was disgraceful.

ReaperFett
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:23:32 AM
To be honest, St. George is a patron saint of too many things
He was sucesful in what he did :)

But you're right on the celebrating.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:30:10 AM
TMBG are great. If the muppets did a version, it will have just been ripped off from TMBG

As I said, seen the muppets version?

Droo
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:36:30 AM
I'm thinking on this more now but imagine if we went back to basics, I mean like medieval festivals that are ethical, ie. no bear-baiting and hanging. Each big city in England should have a theatre that's like The Globe, it is the "The Globe" isn't it? Not "The Glebe"?

Shakespeare would be in abundance, perhaps for the less cultured of us, some modern adaptions of Shakespeare's work. Betting on things like dog or horse-racing would result in the losing pundit be thrown in the stocks and have bystanders throw wet sponges and cream pies at him. We would have trumpets flourishing with long banners hanging from stalls and whatnot. Town-criers would be evrywhere, the music would range form traditional all the way up to modern british music. I think jousting and archery tournaments would be a must with padded and safe lances for beginners. Of course alcohol would be plentiful, the beer would flow just to send St. Paddy packing back to Ireland too! Ha ha! It would really rock!

Taylor Millard
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:00:46 AM
Wow I didn't know it was the Patron Saint of the Boy Scouts...Cool, we have a Patron Saint. :)

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:09:08 AM
The fact that you have a saints symbol didn't clue you in?

Telan Desaria
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:35:11 PM
Ack...Patron Saint of Germany.....

And Moscow??????????????????????

Seteth Morters
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:12:38 PM
Great, my patron saint [England and archery] is also the patron saint of Syphilis.

Darth Viscera
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:18:25 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Did you know Germany invaded Canada during WW2?

The Germans also invaded the U.S. in August 1776. They chased George Washington back across the East River and occupied New York for 7 years, and we even burned New York city out from under them with the help of a U.S. agent (and schoolteacher) named Nathan Hale, whose last words were "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" as he was hanged by the British. John Montresor (who had a fondness for reading Homer), the chief engineering officer for the British army in America, overheard his last words and later relayed them.

Zeke
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:26:00 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
As I said, seen the muppets version?

Can't say that I have.

Shanaria Fabool
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:56:47 PM
The muppets version is COOL! Of course I LOVE the muppets!!!