PDA

View Full Version : My first-ever animation!

Zeke
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:31:32 PM
I'm making it in class, and it'll be finished tomorrow! This is real exciting, and I wanna post it to show you all, even though it probably won't last more than a minute and is pretty poorly rendered...but this is what I wanna do for a job! I took a character and I'm making him MOVE. I just don't know that the finished product would be small enough to attach, and I'm not sure how I could host it to show you all. It'd be saved as an animated GIF or Quick Time movie, since that's how the assignment says I have to save it. Any suggestions?

Lenore
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:11:07 AM
Can't answer that question for ya, but I can't wait to see your animation :) What school do you go to?

Oriadin
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:38:02 AM
If you have 'Real One' (there is a free version you can download) I think you can convert it to a .rm file and you can decide how small you want the file. You can get very small file sizes with that. If that doesnt work, PM me the file size and we can discuss you emailing to me and me doing it for you through Adobe Premier.

I may be able to put it on my website for you too. Depending on size of course.

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:31:53 AM
I go to SCAD, in Savannah GA...SCAD standing for Savannah College of Art and Design. I'm in the computer lab working on it right now, in fact...one more keyframe and I can start it up...when its done, we'd have to get all the emailing/setting up bit handled while I'm here in the lab, as I have no means of taking the file home with me.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:32:26 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO RM is MUCH worse than quicktime. If I have to install realplayer there will be blood in the streets.

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:35:47 AM
Got a better idea? It's gotta be an animated GIF or Quick Time file no matter what, because if its anything OTHER than those filetypes, my grade goes straight down the crapper.

Oriadin
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:42:17 AM
Sorry, I thought you had a way of getting it to your college anyway and was just looking for a way to post it here.

RM can have just almost as good quality as quicktime with only a fraction of the file size if you know how to do it properly.

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:07:55 PM
OMG! Its only keyframes, but it already ROCKS! ^_____^ Hell to the yes! Just gotta do in-betweens! Image Ready rocks for in-betweening, so I expect I'll be done soon!

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:33:16 PM
w00t! Quick I wanna see it!

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:26:11 PM
I'm currently in-betweening! I'd have it finished by now, but I went upstairs to ask the teacher a question and one o' the damn lab techs shut my computer down! I lost the inbetweens I had finished, so now I'm re-doing them! I'm waiting on the guy to come down here and remind me how to save it, b'cuz then I'll be able to show you guys! It's a character of my own creation (not Zeke, though it looks an awful lot like him, now that I think of it), and he's got a staff (another quality of Zekeness). He jumps up and swings it around toward the camera and its awesome! Just need to save!

Zeke, the Happy Child
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:22:15 PM
WHOO! IT'S DONE! ^__________________^ AND IT'S ONLY 2.68 MB BIG! It's not five seconds of animation, but I love it to death! I made it with me own 2 hands! Now if I could just figure out how to SHOW YOU GUYS! :D :crack :crack :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:23:07 PM
:lol cool d00d :) I can't wait to see. :D

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:24:16 PM
You take your time. Burn it to a CD and take it home with you. AT least that way I can see it.

Zeke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:25:25 PM
My boomspeed account's not big enough to host it, and its FAR too big to attach! I don't know what to do, other than send a mass-email with it stuck on there. I WANTS TO SHOW OFF! ::watches animation and boosts his ego!:: I don't have a CD to burn it to!

EDIT: Looks like I can't show it off after all. It won't send in emails.:(

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:38:03 PM
Originally posted by Oriadin
Sorry, I thought you had a way of getting it to your college anyway and was just looking for a way to post it here.

RM can have just almost as good quality as quicktime with only a fraction of the file size if you know how to do it properly.

Rm is also spyware on a major scale and is utterly lathsome. RM MUST DIE!

Charley
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:47:47 PM
The only thing I use RM for is to watch my downloaded DBZ library. Aside from that, its useless.

Syrius Cline
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:02:17 AM
Wow, I'd love to see it, though even if you upload it I probably can't. I'm having technical problems downloading anything.

So you drew it yourself? Cool! Show us some snap shots or something! :)

There might be someone who's willing to host it around here. Though I wouldn't know who. Maybe you could make a new thread asking someone to host it on their server. They'd have to get you a password though, which would make the number of people willing shrink, if you can't e-mail it.

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:28:35 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Rm is also spyware on a major scale and is utterly lathsome. RM MUST DIE!

I wasnt aware it was spyware. But even still, there isnt a video format like it to give you such small file sizes. Ive started doing stop motion annimation and if your looking at a few mins long with sound, thats a hellova big .avi or .mov or .mpg file.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:29:03 AM
Size isnt everything. Anyway, what about MPEG4?

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:39:29 AM
Havent tried MPEG4 yet, it so I dont know.

Size isnt everything, but if your talking about a 80mb .mov file or a 10mb RM file, I know which im gonna go for. Especially if you have little webspace.

Gurney Devries
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:39:32 AM
But even still, there isnt a video format like it to give you such small file sizes. Ive started doing stop motion annimation and if your looking at a few mins long with sound, thats a hellova big .avi or .mov or .mpg file. Mebbe a raw avi. But if you properly encode it with DivX or XviD, you can get very tiny filesizes with great quality.

Besides, Realplayer is bloatware with annoying pop-up ads and spyware.

In fact, I hate all proprietary formats with a passion. Quicktime is bloatware, too. But I'd take it any day of the weak over RealOne.

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:55:32 AM
Im taking DivX into account. I havent heard of XviD though. Real One doesnt give you pop ups incidently.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:05:26 AM
Real One is still spyware. The one thing about RM formats is they be be small, but you loose quality. The players themselves are fat, ugly, PC destroying POS's.

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 05:13:16 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
The one thing about RM formats is they be be small, but you loose quality

As I said before, this depends on how good you are at compressing the files. Ive seen RM files looking and sounding just as clear as .mov files and at a fraction of the size.

The Real One player doesnt look too bad either I dont think. The old Real players were so bad it was untrue. Definitely much better than they used to be.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:57:27 AM
As I said before, this depends on how good you are at compressing the files. Ive seen RM files looking and sounding just as clear as .mov files and at a fraction of the size.

The Real One player doesnt look too bad either I dont think. The old Real players were so bad it was untrue. Definitely much better than they used to be.

HAHAHA drugs are bad! Find me a Real player file with the same quality as quicktime. Go on, please.

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:27:36 AM
There are plenty of examples. This is a pretty good one. 24mb for a ten min film.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hali/Movies/gc/goodcompany.rm

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:47:29 AM
I cant find a PC I hate enough that I would put RM on to see

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:51:07 AM
Yeah, but if you were wanting to upload and download numerous video files every day, like I do you may be forced to reconsider.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:02:23 AM
Never. I've supported PC's that have been wrecked by RM and it's disgusting variants - NO amount of bandwidth saving is worth the stress of repairing a PC shat on by that crap.

Run RM on a PC maginal on memory and watch how the performance is destroyed like Windows can hardly do. watch it suck processor time worse than WMP9. Watch it wreck registeries and bog boot times. I cant spit enough venom for RM. The only program I hate more is Netscape prior ver 7, for it's PC destruction potential. On networks I've run, I make a point of eradicating Real in all it's forms cause I am fed up with real created problems.

Not to mention the spyware it's loaded with that your forced to accept when it's loaded. Ugh.

Zeke
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:24:46 AM
[on topic comment]I have my animation here at my room now, as I had my teacher email it to me. Now, I need to figure out how to show everyone.[/on topic comment]

Morgan Evanar
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:18:18 PM
Im taking DivX into account. I havent heard of XviD though. Real One doesnt give you pop ups incidently. Then you have no idea how to use it. RM isn't better for anything anymore.

Oriadin
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:37:45 PM
Have you got any links to a movie file thats over 10 mins long and under the file size of the movie I posted above then? So I can compare.