PDA

View Full Version : I feel scared...

Admiral Lebron
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:15:37 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9735-2003Apr22.html

I can see Henderson Elementary from my deck. I've practiced lacrosse at Pattie which is about a mile from my school... :\

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:21:42 PM
Didn't hear about that, I am guessing it was some sick kids out there.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:25:52 PM
Eh. I hope its just kids..

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:28:57 PM
I am sure it is, I mean terrorist would be more creative than soda bottles.

Darth Viscera
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:54:20 PM
Will our area ever get a break? First the muslomaniacs rammed into my favorite building and killed 200 people, then we were anthraxed, then an SOB pair of muslomaniacs came in and sniped 13 people dead, and now the younguns done runnoft into some sort of psycho-death mindset and are placing soda cans filled with nobel prize juice. Loahdy loahdy.

Maybe it's time to move to someplace more peaceful, like beautiful downtown Grozny.

Charley
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:40:11 AM
Guys, this is such a basic and harmless prank. It falls under the "lightly amusing yet benign" section of any 13 year old's copy of the Anarchist's cookbook. I'm really shocked such a fuss is being made over nothing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 23rd, 2003, 11:42:54 AM
....The media are making a fuss over everything because they sold their souls to the devil a long long time ago. :mad

Lady Vader
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:02:58 PM
Guys, this is such a basic and harmless prank. It falls under the "lightly amusing yet benign" section of any 13 year old's copy of the Anarchist's cookbook. I'm really shocked such a fuss is being made over nothing.

Maybe...

but it's still unsettling.

Darth Viscera
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:38:06 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
....The media are making a fuss over everything because they sold their souls to the devil a long long time ago. :mad

As far as I know, local TV isn't talking that much about this.

Figrin D'an
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:02:29 PM
:rolleyes

It's a "Works Bomb."

You get a household cleaning solution of a certain pH, add aluminum foil, and seal the bottle. Standard red/ox type of reaction, gas is produced, pressure builds, and the bottle eventually explodes.

I've made far more potent stuff in my basement. It's a kid's prank, just like Charley said.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:33:19 PM
Eh. 5 Arrests have been made. I know 4 of them. Good friends with 1, friends with two others... I'm kinda surprised one of them was in on it.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:05:06 PM
I guess Im not seeing the same thing you all did. All I get when I click the link is a survey-thing fro the WashingtonPost :\

Morgan Evanar
Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:29:10 PM
Thats a stupid mostly harmless prank. They're not pipebombs. People are overreactionary at everything nowadays, especially school systems.

Y'know, my parents said they had food fights and stuff. I would have been expelled probably.

Gurney Devries
Apr 24th, 2003, 01:53:12 AM
Give me a break. That's hardly a step up from mixing backing soda and vinegar in a sealed bottle. :rolleyes

Darth Viscera
Apr 24th, 2003, 04:22:49 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Lebron
Eh. 5 Arrests have been made. I know 4 of them. Good friends with 1, friends with two others... I'm kinda surprised one of them was in on it.

Should I be interrogating you now? What am I saying? Of course I should.

*shines 500 watt light in lebron's eyes*

Yes yes yes, you can brush your teeth later...but first, I need you to answer some questions, see?

Charley
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:52:54 AM
GOOD JOB, HOMELAND SECURITY. BOY YOU'RE REALLY EARNING YOUR KEEP!

TheHolo.Net
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:56:31 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daiquiri
I guess Im not seeing the same thing you all did. All I get when I click the link is a survey-thing fro the WashingtonPost :\ After you fill in the "required" parts of the survey it lets you see this article:
Tuesday, April 22, 2003; Page B03

Six homemade explosive devices in soda bottles were found in southern Prince William County last week, three of them outside elementary schools, officials said last night. Three of the devices exploded, but no injuries or damage were reported.

The first call came to the county fire department Friday night, when a bottle filled with acid exploded in the Dumfries area, said Prince William Fire Department Battalion Chief Hadden Culp.

Five more such devices were found over the next two days, and two of them had exploded, Culp said.

The devices consisted of an acid solution and a metal product that were placed in a closed soda bottle. They were left on the grounds of Montclair, Henderson and Pattie elementary schools in the Dumfries area, Culp said.

The schools were on spring break, and no children found the bombs.

The other three devices were left in residential areas.

Police and fire investigators are conducting interviews and have sent evidence to area crime labs, Culp said.

© 2003 The Washington Post CompanyAnd yes, IMO, this is just a child's prank that appears to have been made too big a deal of, thanks to current polictical correctness.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:43:06 AM
Gah, that's all it was? This is simply ridiculous. Kids do worse all the frikking time. What about the age old blowing up the school toilets? what about the occasional detonation of letterboxes?

So kids who like to prank and blow stuff up are trrorists now? Right, well that makes me the next Bin Laden, considering several letterboxes, car exhausts, drains and sparkler bombs have all been detonated in my hands over the years.

FFS, this is ridiculous. These kids only deserve a boot up the backside, nothing more. If that. Going waaaaaaay overboard on reaction the authorities are.

Charley
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:46:06 AM
This is our wonderful "zero tolerance" education discipline system in progress. The same one that expels kindergardeners for pointing at people and saying "Bang Bang".

I want to crack the skull of every education lobbyist when I see this crap.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:53:31 AM
The same one that expels kindergardeners for pointing at people and saying "Bang Bang".

I'd call you a liar on that one if not for the fact it's happened here as well. Just patently stupid. what next, kids arrested and held without charge for having a stick and making lightsabre sounds?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:12:49 PM
Well there should be some punishment for these kids they could be up to the same thing the kids were up to in Columbine. At least I think they need some major talking to and find out why the are going into blowing up soda cans in front of schools.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 24th, 2003, 06:40:12 PM
Its scary if you live in an area that in the last has been anthraxed and had two maniacs run around sniping anyone in sight.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:08:05 PM
No, it isn't....because such a thing is harmless unless you decide to pick up the soda bottle when it pops. Its about as harmful as a firecracker. For the love of God, this is the most severe overreaction I've seen in a while.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:21:58 PM
Well excuse me, I wasn't raised in alabama where its okay to set chemical weapons outside of schools.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:25:37 PM
It is a problem these kids could be up to something, remember the columbine kids did all kind of things and people ignored them, since Columbine they have taken a great interest in stuff like this and I don't blame them.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:28:41 PM
:rolleyes because every kid who makes a homemade firecracker is a sociopath/terrorist. I LOVE THE WAY YOU THINK I REALLY REALLY DO!

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:29:39 PM
Lebron, cut the crap. Calling that a chemical weapon is like calling a .22 caliber pistol a howitzer. You have no common sense.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:32:46 PM
Sanis stfu for once. Think about what you say and your position, god, you can be such a redneck sometimes.

Ka' el Darcverse
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:33:37 PM
I used to make moltav cocktails and set straw bails on fire, I made napalm out of gasoline and styrofoam, scrape match heads into a piece of klennex and then light them on fire. It's a kids prank plain and simple. You know what cured me of my dumd assedess, Dad's belt.

Figrin D'an
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:40:31 PM
Guys, kids/teens have been do this kind of stuff for decades. This isn't something exclusive to the post-Columbine "zero-tolerance" policy era. It's just that it gets noticed more, because as many of you have so adequately demonstrated, people are paranoid.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:23:47 PM
Damn, Leb...sorry bout that. I know how you have violent reactions to common sense and all. I'll try from now on to only relate to you in terms of your own fantasy world, where leprechauns take fat purple skittle dumps in your mouth, or whatever the hell it is that warps your perceptions so badly.

Calling me a redneck and writing me off is like somebody turning the same card around on you and calling you a (insert Jewish slur here). Its ignorant, not cool, and is only gonna plop your tail out of the frying pan and into the fire, capice?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:42:03 PM
Hey if it was my kid I beat the living crap out of them, the idea of playing with that stuff to me is bad. I remember when I was kid my parents would have killed me if I tried that crap, I once throw a rock at a car and got yelled at punished for it.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:44:40 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Hey if it was my kid I beat the living crap out of them, the idea of playing with that stuff to me is bad. I remember when I was kid my parents would have killed me if I tried that crap, I once throw a rock at a car and got yelled at punished for it.

Same here, but its an issue of getting grounded, not going to jail. For crying out loud, its not even remotely in the same ballpark!

AmazonBabe
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:23:50 PM
And if I were a mod for this forum, this thread would now be closed.

Everything's just going in circles, and it's pretty darn pointless... especially with the insults being thrown back and forth.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:35:59 PM
Well I never said Jail I just think they need to be talked to that is all, and the principal keep an eye on them that is it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:27:21 AM
I think people who are mods should be able to determine for themselves what threads should or shouldn't be closed. If someone has a problem with a thread, please don't announce it in the thread, use the little "report" button and tell the moderators directly.

Thanks, tis more helpful.