PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else watch "Helen Of Troy" on the USA network?

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:30:45 PM
All in all, I thought it was a well put-together production and was certainly entertaining. The acting was pretty darn good, and John Rees Davis as the King of Sparta was kinda cool to see. (And on a side note, the way they made the Trojan horse was cooooool.)

But it seriously lacked in the true following of the Illiad. In more than one occassion, the movie took a sharp turn, basically Hollywoodizing more than half the story.

For entertainment purposes, I'd give it an A.

But for trueness to story... I'd say go read the book.

For anyone that watched the TV mini series/movie, any comments on it?

(P.S. - I'm really looking forward to the motion picture "Troy" (I know there were a couple of other threads made on this topic). I just hope they stick to the book and not maim the storyline too badly.)

ReaperFett
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:59:53 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!

I didnt see it, but I saw the adverts. IN EVERY ADVERT BREAK! It hurt! The pain!

It looked quite well made though.

Pierce Tondry
Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:15:17 PM
I wanted to see it so badly once I heard it was going to be around, but there was no way I was going to be able to. Every time I saw one of the commercials, I felt very sad for Helen. Something about being caught between the man she loves, the husband she doesn't, and the objectification of every other male in existence really made me feel sorry for her.

Although I have always felt that way about the Helen of Troy mythos, so that is really nothing new I guess.

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:06:01 PM
Something about being caught between the man she loves, the husband she doesn't, and the objectification of every other male in existence really made me feel sorry for her.

I know what you mean about that.

There was one scene in the movie (not in the book from what I can remember) that portraid how she was seen as basically a piece of meat by her Spartan husband and by the other kings and nobels of Sparta's allies. For the scene, they had her walk naked into the grand hall where they were holding some sort of party and then had her stand on a daise of sorts as if she were a display.

What surprised me was that they actually showed her full backside (quite a few times in the movie actually), and it was during "clean" hours (basically before 9 or 10pm).

But, during the whole scene I was like "I don't remember Homer writing any of this". O_o

Darth Viscera
Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:24:28 PM
Both parts are playing back-to-back on EST Thu, Apr 24 @ 8:00 PM, Fri, Apr 25 @ 9:00 AM, Sat, Apr 26 @ 6:00 PM.

Figrin D'an
Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:38:25 PM
Maybe I'll watch it this weekend... although, having read The Illiad, I'd probably pick it apart because of everything that is different... so, I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it.

It's two, 2 hour segements?

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:14:31 PM
Yes. Two 2 hour segments.

And believe me Fig, you'll be picking it apart non-stop through the whole thing. I know I was.

But like I said before, it's well produced and entertaining. Of course, it'd probably be more entertaining to those that haven't read the book (or Cliff Notes ;))

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:19:58 PM
I watch the first part and couldn't get into it probably because of the difference fist the guy that plays Achilles didn't look the way I would have pictured him. Second I had problems with Cassandra everybody believed her? Nobody believed Cassandra she was cursed, I always found that part amusing, especially as it relates to Agammenon :p Did this change in part two? I remember that Apollo cursed her for some reason. Also was it just me or did John Rhys-Davies look very ill. I mean he was thin, he used to be huge. Did working on LOTR make him lose a lot of wait or has he been sick.

ReaperFett
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:21:57 PM
He seemed big at the Oscars, when he was in the studio with Ross for FIlm 2003. Dont worry, he fine :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:39:08 PM
Maybe he had gained the weight back since he did this part. Or they some how made him look thin.

Lady Vader
Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:45:41 PM
It's very possible they asked him to LOSE weight for the mini-series. It has been known to happen.

And in the second part, when Cassandra went REALLY crazy, they threw her in a cell in the dungeon. So, I'd say they didn't want to hear anymore from her. Now, that's not to say they didn't keep on believing her or not, but her being thrown in a cell kinda makes one think they really didn't want to hear and thus didn't want to believe.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:58:09 PM
Well that explains that still it is not good for me the whole point about Cassandra was nobody believed her at all and that their doomed Troy. If they had listed to here when the horse was there they would have won the war.