PDA

View Full Version : Today's Site for the Further of the Downfall of Western Civilization

Ka' el Darcverse
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:31:14 PM
Found a link at an online comic I read, www.somethingpositive.net and came across this site. People with too much time on their hands are disturbing...

http://www.fanfiction.net/list.php?categoryid=1218

An Ann Frank Fan Fiction Site

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:36:42 PM
Who is Ann Frank?

Dae Jinn
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:40:05 PM
She's a little girl who was hidden along with her family from the Nazis. Her family was eventually found and sent to a concentration camp. She was killed, but her diary was eventually found and published.

Aquafresh
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:31:30 PM
i hated that book, i had to read it in school.

ReaperFett
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:34:11 PM
While I didnt enjoy it, I would hardly say I hated the diary of a scared child.

Aquafresh
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:38:52 PM
it was boring and in the end everybody died. it would be crappy fiction but since it is nonfiction that makes it even worse because the girl actually died.

Figrin D'an
Apr 21st, 2003, 11:05:10 PM
Originally posted by Aquafresh
it was boring and in the end everybody died. it would be crappy fiction but since it is nonfiction that makes it even worse because the girl actually died.

No offense, but if that's your analysis, you rather missed the point of reading it.

Charley
Apr 21st, 2003, 11:20:10 PM
I loved the story, personally.

Kajeela Tarruurri
Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:14:07 AM
I visited Ann Frank's house while I was in Amsterdam - it was very surreal and sobering to be there.

AmazonBabe
Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:32:22 PM
You think that's sobering... I had the pleasure (well, not really a PLEASURE) of visiting the Auswitz (and I probably just murdered the spelling) concentration camp when I took my month and a half trip to Europe some years ago. Man, that place really opened my eyes to the atrocities the Nazis did.

Aquafresh
Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:02:31 PM
Dan, I understood the point to it, but usually I do not enjoy anything I am forced to read. Most of the time if a book is suggested, I will like it, but nobody will force me to read something unless it is something I will not like. I know the book was the supposed to tell about how Hitler and the Nazis were to everybody, especially the Jews, and how growing up as a Jew was hard and there was a very very likely chance that you would not live. I may have missed some, because I was only in 8th grade, but I think I caught the message that was being conveyed through the journal.

Figrin D'an
Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:16:04 PM
I've visited Auschwitz as well. It's one of the few places in which I have ever experienced true fright of my surroundings. It's one thing to read about or see pictures of what took place in concentration camps like that... it's quite another to see the location in person, even 60 years later. There's a thick, ghostly silence that pervades the entire site... it's beyond eerie.

Dan, I understood the point to it, but usually I do not enjoy anything I am forced to read. Most of the time if a book is suggested, I will like it, but nobody will force me to read something unless it is something I will not like. I know the book was the supposed to tell about how Hitler and the Nazis were to everybody, especially the Jews, and how growing up as a Jew was hard and there was a very very likely chance that you would not live. I may have missed some, because I was only in 8th grade, but I think I caught the message that was being conveyed through the journal.

That's fine... if you don't like book, so be it. To call it crappy because it's a true account, and the protagonist and her family are discovered and presumably killed, is a pretty ignorant point of view. But, as you said, you were only in 8th grade at time, so maybe if you revisit the book sometime in the future, you'll get more out of it.

Telan Desaria
Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:53:15 PM
On behalf of the Fatherland, I apologize

Needed or not. Every German has a bit of guilt, alive then...or not

Aegis Du' Caat
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:32:56 PM
I didn't post this as a slam on the Germans, many had to make a very hard choice. Their lives or the lives of others. It is easy for us to say now that we would have stood up against Hitler and his thugs had we been Germans at the time, but you need to realize that the Allies from WWI are just as guilty as the Germans for letting that man come to power. If the French British and Americans had not been so eager to cripple a rival nation that had really done nothing more than stay true to it's alliances then they would have never been ripe for the mad rhetoric of such a powerful speaker as Hitler. American vets have recounted tales of listening to him speak on the radio and being mesmerized by his ability to command an audience. No rather this was a post to shake our heads at how our world can so easily trivialize such a catastrophe for the sake of entertainment.

Aquafresh
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:44:35 PM
I have heard some bad things about Auschwitz, and I know you guys know what I mean, but I have never been there, and I don't know if I want to go. I can see how you think that my opinion was a bit harsh, and I guess it was. I think I did not enjoy the book because it was too realistic...I mean that girl really lived that life and she really did die...that is just hard to take in, especially at the age of 13.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:50:04 PM
Needed or not. Every German has a bit of guilt, alive then...or not

I do not agree, the crimes of the father do not pass to the child. Everyone decides there own path. If you believe the Nazi's did good, then you can burn in hell, but if you think they are evil, even if you are German, then I do not think the guilt should be layed on your back.

Telan Desaria
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:17:20 PM
I do not agree. Allow me to elaborate.

During the 20 July bomb plot, 1944, when a suitcase bomb was planeted by a Prussian officer, Count Klaus von Stauffenburg, the officer corps was split down the centre. One side side of my family, Generalleutenant Kurt Chill, who was to come into fame by holding the allies at bay in the Nederlands, lauded the plot as a way to remove evil. He was staunchly anti nazi as a German nobleman of the oldest class, his father given title by Wilhelm I.

On the other side of my family, SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm von Seitidtz, detracted any officer who was against the legitimate government of the Fatherland. His faith was so great, that when Doenitz was named the new Fuhrer, he committed suicide inside the Ruhr pocket.

One might say half absolves the other. However, I do not.

As long as there is one German alive who can speak the name of Adolf Hitler without any enmity great enough to surmount Sevastopol alone, then we are still guilty. As long as skin heads are allowed to march through Berlin and not put to the sword without question, then we Germans are guilty.

We, as sons and grandsons of that horrible and great era, bear the responsibility to see that those deaths were no in vain. As long as we are not staunchly behind those we had slaughtered (Israel), we dishonor the memory of those who did try to allieve their souls of the burden of guilt . As long as the swastika flies anywhere in the world without our righteous beings fighting to immolate from the face of history, then we waste our lives.

That I feel is our responsibilities as Germans. There will be no more Great Germans, as things continue as they are. But our actions can assure that the names of those who do hold that title are not forgotten, or dishonoured.

Darth Viscera
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:36:06 PM
Originally posted by Aegis Du' Caat
I didn't post this as a slam on the Germans, many had to make a very hard choice. Their lives or the lives of others. It is easy for us to say now that we would have stood up against Hitler and his thugs had we been Germans at the time, but you need to realize that the Allies from WWI are just as guilty as the Germans for letting that man come to power. If the French British and Americans had not been so eager to cripple a rival nation that had really done nothing more than stay true to it's alliances then they would have never been ripe for the mad rhetoric of such a powerful speaker as Hitler. American vets have recounted tales of listening to him speak on the radio and being mesmerized by his ability to command an audience. No rather this was a post to shake our heads at how our world can so easily trivialize such a catastrophe for the sake of entertainment.

It's my understanding that it was the French who were eager to cripple Germany's capacity to make war (or peace, for that matter). Don't blame it on Woodrow Wilson, it was the French who were seriously pissed off about having lost the Franco-Prussian war, and they were pissed at their inability to single-handledly fight the Germans to a draw in WW1. Wilson was against bleeding them dry.