PDA

View Full Version : Tottering into Antiquity (Jedi Knight/Master)

Joanna King
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:54:13 AM
The house was old and of a quality that was not common in the galaxy nowadays. The wooden floors and paneling were stained a rich brown, marked with age. All of the windows and doors were opened to let the sun it; it’s beams make the dust more apparent, stirring it nostalgically. One could almost hear the ancient echo of children laughing, children that had once played in the corridors, but long since grown. It was sad really. Once upon a time this house had been full of life, and had seen many generations come and go. As more went and less came however, wings of the grand home had been boarded up, abandoned. Dried flowers in cases were on dusty tabletops and in the presence of such faded beauty the building seemed to shrink, only a splinter of what once was. But to its owner it was still as beautiful as it had been fifty years ago.

She had written to the Jedi Council on Coruscant, an old-fashioned method of communication but one that she firmly held steadfast to. The letter itself had been purposefully vague but had requested that they send a member of their order to Chandrilla, when they had the time and inclination to do so. The woman knew that her intentions, while good, could have been better filled by someone of a younger age but nonetheless she was determined. Perhaps it was a selfish request, this seeking to join an organization of such nature when there were a vast number of those much more capable and just as willing to do the same. But what was done was done.

She had been waiting patiently for some weeks now. Today it was the northern corner of the vast landscaped grounds. The woman was tending to her array of flowers when she felt it. them rather. She stood, brushing moist soil from her hands and slowly walked around the side of her house, staying concealed by her garden from the figure on the porch. A pair of cobalt blue eyes, lined heavily around the edges from years of laughter and sadness alike, studied the visitor carefully. Then she parted the long stalks of the Tchi’nei blossoms and nodded to the visitor.

“You would be the Jedi.”

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:27:36 AM
It was not often that the presence of a Jedi was request on such indistinct terms, but in this case Dasquian was thankful that he had received the letter. As a member of the Council he had been one of the first to read it and had indicated that he would be the one to visit Chandrilla to see what exactly it was the sender of the letter needed from the Jedi. What made him thankful was where he stood now – a place unlike he had seen before. If he was to call it anything it would be homely or rustic perhaps. It reminded him of the type of house he imagined his grandparents would have, tucked away in the countryside somewhere, with a little thatch roof and a vegetable garden.

“You would be the Jedi.”

The voice that brought him out of his thoughts also caused him to smile. He turned and nodded in greeting to the woman who had addressed him.

“That is correct. I am Dasquian Belargic, a Jedi Knight of the Greater Jedi Order. I believe you request the presence of a member of our Order?”

Joanna King
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:39:21 AM
"I did."

Joanna put down the basket and garden tools she was carrying and smiled warmly.

"Welcome to Burnberry, Lad. My name is Joanna King."

The woman walked up the steps, using the knarled railing to aid her and pushed open the screen. Turning her head she nodded towards the inside.

"Well, come on then."

She said nothing in explanation of her letter, instead only led the Jedi down the passageway and into a tiny alcove that had been transformed into a kitchen. There was no floor in the room, only the earth, and everything in it had an earthenware look. The kettle had already been put on and Joanna opened one of the cabinets and took another china cup out. When the kettle hissed and steamed she removed it from the fireplace and poured the boiling water into the cups, adding a few leaves of something dry, hanging from the ceiling.

"Jou root tea. I think you'll find it's sweet enough without sugar but there's cream in the pitcher, if you would like it."

The old woman grasped her own cup in one hand and went out the doorway, through to the garden. She stood at the top of a winding little path.

"Down this way is where we'll have a rest. Nothing better than a cup of tea by the creek, I think."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:47:06 AM
The place grew more curious as Dasquian was lead inside, into a kitchen which had no paving slabs or wooden planks on its floor – simply the natural turf that would come beneath the house. It was novelty in some ways for the Jedi Knight, who felt at home in such circumstances and had not spent time in the company of nature for far too long.

Graciously accepting the drink he was given, and giving it a test sip, he smiled – the mention of tea by the creek sounded wonderful, and for a moment Dasquian was reminded of his childhood; of playing and whiling away his days at river sides. Careful not to tread on anything that he should not, he made his way down the trampled path behind the woman – Mrs King was what he kept referring to her as, in his head – whilst admiring the thickets and foliage flanking their walk on either side.

He said nothing – he had the patience and the manners to wait until he was addressed once more before questioning the reason for his visit.

Joanna King
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:40:30 AM
The creek made itself known by sound rather than sight, and it wasn't until they rounded a bend that it was visible. Two old wooden lawn chairs with peeling paint were positioned in the shade of a huge tree with pale blue leaves that seemed to twirl in the breeze. Joanna ignored the chairs, instead preferring to sit on the grass and let her feet, bare as they usually were in the gardens, to drift in the cool water.

"Oh, that's much better."

The woman took a sip of her tea, smiling at the sweet, woody flavor. She took a moment to relax, letting the silence lull into comfortable lack of conversation. Finally,

"I suppose you're wondering why you're here."

She raised her eyebrows at Dasquian.

"I'd like to know if I would be of any use to the Jedi on Coruscant."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:46:21 AM
“Well,” Dasquian began, as he stood – preferring this over sitting – at the waters edge.

“If you mean would it be possible to train you, I imagine that if you had the correct motives that it would be. However there are certain factors that must be taken into account. One of these, the most important, is that the midochlorian count you possess must be correct.”

He looked down, and wondered if the woman knew enough of the Jedi to understand him. He decided he would explain it anyway, for the sake of his argument.

“Children are picked out for the training program because they tested for this count and are often high on the scale. Adults more often than not do not get accepted because it would be difficult, if not impossible, to train them due to their lack of potential ability in the Force.”

The Jedi sipped carefully from his cup as he watched the water in the creek, eddying around pebbles and bubbling in areas.

“I say this, though nine times out of ten it is possible to train a person no matter what age or background they may have.”

Joanna King
Apr 17th, 2003, 11:46:20 AM
Joanna nodded.

"I am quite familiar with the Jedi, you are not the first to pay visit here. And I am of the knowledge that I am sensitive to the Force."

She smiled up at Dasquian.

"You did not think I would have made you travel all this way if I wasn't, did you? No, I was made aware of it many years ago, when I was young."

The old woman stood up, balacing her cup carefully and dusting off her trousers pleasantly.

"Sometimes, as I am sure you are aware Lad, opportunities arise at precisely the wrong time. Sadly, such was the case with my own ambitions to train as one of you. My situation did not permit me to engage in becoming a Jedi and s the years went by I put it out of my mind. But,"

She looked round the estate.

"As is very clear, there is nothing to hold me back anymore. My concern was that I would not be of much use in combat. I'm not a spring Kroyie after all."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 17th, 2003, 12:17:50 PM
“I see.”

It was always sad when a person who wished to join did not. There was so much potential in so many people, and day after day it was wasted as people thought that they weren’t good enough, or just didn’t have the time to seek out the Jedi building.

“Well though combat may be one practice of the Jed, it is not the only one as you will undoubtedly know. We are always in need of good healers, telepaths and the like – those who devote their time more to the diplomatic side of our profession, rather than reasoning with their saber.”

Joanna King
Apr 17th, 2003, 12:30:41 PM
"Then it seems that I shall be making a trip to Coruscant. If it rests alright with you, I should be much obliged if I could travel back in your company."

She smiled.

"Not today of course, unless you have previous engagements. But I insist you stay a night at Burnberry, if your agenda allows it. Too many years have gone by without visitors."

Joanna began to walk up the path, empty cup in hand. When she reached the kitchen she put the little china mug in a basin and pumped some water in, from a spout on the wall.

"Forgive me if I seem a bit forward, but age and experience have taught me that it does no good to hide ones intentions behind formalities."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:07:10 AM
“I have no other business to tend to, so would be happy to stay the night. It will be nice, also, to spend the night in such a rustic setting. Such places are hard to come by now.”

Dasquian called up after the woman as he looked around in admiration.

“You are very lucky to have this place as your home, ma’am. I’m not sure you will enjoy the comfort of the Jedi Order as much as this estate… it is far more modern and Spartan than this.”

(OOC: ^_^; memory of a goldfish)

Joanna King
Apr 24th, 2003, 08:46:19 AM
Joanna smiled.

"I enjoy it. My family has owned this house for as long as I can remember. But I think that now, I could leave it. I'm sure I'll adjust well enough."

She looked around the little kitchen and out the window at the estate grounds.

"I will miss it though. Being around such life is soothing, thereaputic. I was born here, dead, you know. When you start out life like that beauty makes itself more apparent, as a bit of an apology."

The old woman sighed.

"Yes, I'll miss it."

Quite suddenly she began to rummage in one of the cupboards and after a bit of clanging and a bit of clunking, pulled a large brass pot out and set it on the counter.

"I'll just put something for supper on the fire. We haven't any electricity, but there's plenty of candles and lamps."

Joanna began to waltz around the kitchen, grabing a bit of this plant, and a bunch of that, crumbling it into the pot and adding water. As she chopped various vegetables, Joanna cleared her throat.

"Now, Lad, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to hear a bit about this 'Spartan' place I'll be going to."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2003, 03:43:03 AM
Now standing in the kitchen, watching with a smile as Joanna busied herself for a while, Dasquian nodded at the question asked.

“Well, I say Spartan… the living quarters is as such. Since we have to cater for so many people, they have very simply furniture, composing normally of a bed, fresher, wardrobe, and kitchen unit of the room is a double or group room.

The actual Order building is wonderful, however. It has only recently been rebuilt on Coruscant and is reminiscent of the buildings of the Old republic.”

Which I myself remember quite well, he added mentally, with a small chuckle.

“It’s not as natural orientated as when we were on Yavin, but they grounds staff have made an effort to brighten the place up a little.”

Joanna King
Apr 28th, 2003, 09:38:09 AM
Joanna listened intently, nodding every few seconds and 'hmm-ing'.

"Well I hope your order won't mind if they find a few extra plants growing. They might just spring up, you never know with these things."

Her face didn't change but her eyes sparkled mischiviously.

"Now, what about Coruscant? I haven't studied it since I was in school, ages ago. I am quite sure it has changed a great deal."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 30th, 2003, 11:14:07 AM
“It becomes more modernized day by day… there are so many levels to the cities now that I’ve lost count. There is, however, a saddening trend – the lower you go, the more violent and hostile the atmosphere becomes.”

Dasquian sighed somewhat. If he could change anything about the city, it would be this.

Joanna King
Apr 30th, 2003, 12:00:20 PM
Joanna frowned. It didn't exactly sound like her cup of tea. But she couldn't change it and so she simply dismissed the thought. What could not be cured, must be endured. And perhaps by making the choice she had it would provide at least a small ammount of relief to someone.

"You must keep very busy there. I suppose it must take some getting used to."

She smiled at the Jedi, blue orbs curious. She'd been studying him and he seemed very at home in the natural surroundings.

"If you don't mind my asking, where are you from originally? You don't strike me as having spent your whole life on such a planet as Coruscant."

She stirred the pot slowly, adding bits and pieces intermittedly.

Dasquian Belargic
May 4th, 2003, 09:48:16 AM
“An outer-rim system… I’m not sure of its name, but my birth planet is called Hallaer.”

Dasquian sounded, quite frankly, as knowledgeable on the subject as Joanna herself probably was.

“I don’t know much about it. I’ve only just begun to learn about it and its people. I do know that though they were technologically advanced they preferred to live a more organic life, however.”

Joanna King
May 13th, 2003, 12:01:47 PM
"Curious."

The old woman put a lid on the pot, allowing it to simmer and cook properly. She smiled as she walked past Dasquian and to the open doorway. Joanna pushed it closed and took a few moments to light a lamp. Nodding t'ward the pot she picked it up.

"That'll take a bit of time. I'll show you where you'll be staying, get the room in order."

She began to walk up a narrow flight of stairs that had been all but concealed behind doorway, grasping the banister as an aide.

"It's been harder and harder to keep the house in order lately. That's why so much of it is closed. I really should sell it to someone who could use it but I can't bear the thought of letting it out of the family."

Joanna stopped at the top of the stairs, the dim light from the lamp illuminating the dark corners of teh landing.

"Silly, isn't it?"