PDA

View Full Version : Technical question about Dell laptops

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 15th, 2003, 10:36:03 PM
Here's a good one for service techhies out there - this one's got me a bit bemused too. I'm wondering if anyone hasseen this problem as well.

I have a group of Dell Inspiron 2600 laptops running W2K. They run pretty well, except for one thing - every single one of them has syncing problems with overhead projectors. I've updated latest drivers, updated BIOS, but still, the same. This problem is not exhibited on desktops or other brands of laptops with the same projector.

Anyone seen that one before?

Sejah Haversh
Apr 15th, 2003, 11:15:03 PM
More than likely it's a hardware issure with the video cards on that series. I know there was a series of Sony laptops that had the exact same problem. They besiacally fixed the problem by never using the video card again, but there was no fix provided for the owners of said laptops.

I'm sorry, I can't think of a very good way to fix it off the top of my head. You tried e-mailing Dell yet?

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 15th, 2003, 11:25:03 PM
I have much experience with so called Dell support. Apologies if this sounds racist - it not I add - bt I prefer speaking to someone with a good command of English and computer skill Dell tech staff for Aust have neither. Email also is the same. Technicl equires are handled in Asia by Dell Malaysia.

If you know the model Sony, I can cross reference to the Dells, maybe they are the same video chips. Then, I can just give the client a definite "Sorry, never goign to happen" answe.r

Morgan Evanar
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:55:28 AM
The issue sounds like its stemming from the refresh rate. Try piddling with that, although you probably already have.

Powerstrip is a very cool bit of software that forces your vidcard to whatever resolution and refresh rate you want.

Sejah Haversh
Apr 16th, 2003, 03:44:01 PM
Sorry, Mark, I can't be more specific on the model. I just know it was somewhere in the series before mine, and I got mine back in 2000.