PDA

View Full Version : Timeline

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:00:38 PM
How come I didn't know that this book was being made into a movie!? And it's being released this year, too, apparently. :D

Michael Crichton is a god. A mortal, powerless god, but a god nonetheless. :)

Darth Viscera
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:05:51 PM
Certainly not a God on the level of the Jesusfish or Jewlossus, though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:27:00 PM
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0300556

I love the book and the <a href=http://www.moviefone.com/multimedia/previews.adp?movieid=14034&format=qt&x=17&y=11>trailer</a> looks awesome.

AWESOME!

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:28:48 PM
Anna Friel and Billy Connolly :D

;; has a joygasm ;;

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:34:38 PM
:lol I think this is going to be my second favorite movie of the year, and my favorite of the summer. :D

Darth Viscera
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:38:00 PM
14th century? Why, that's just in time to enjoy some of the wonderful incentives offered by the pope for engaging in a crusade!

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:47:44 PM
Great book...I have my doubts about a big screen version though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:03:12 PM
I have high hopes for it....obviously. The trailer gave me goosebumps. Its like a Harry Potter fan seeing it come to life in front of their eyes.... *geekgasm* Except its not Harry Potter, its actually a GOOD book ;)

j/k to all Harry Potter fans.. :uhoh

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:07:12 PM
LOL I won't take offense for that comment :pI did like the book hopefully it will turn out as well as Jurassic Park and not be another Congo.

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:07:13 PM
A big problem I have straight off is language. I thought the book did a great job of having those translators in their ears decipher Middle Ages language so they could understand. And they came into problems several times not being able to communicate.

There's no way they could do justice with that, and it was a huge plot point in my eyes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:16:18 PM
Did you ever see The 13th Warrior? That was a movie in which they did a great job of showing someone learning a language...or in this case, getting an interpetering earpiece to work......

It could work. I'm curious to see what they do.

One thing I noticed from the trailer:

They made the Professor into being Chris Hughes Dad. :x Why!? Although I don't think it's going to mak a huge difference, but its still something they changed.

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:19:39 PM
Yeah I saw "13th Warrior". Okay flick., it did do a good job of what you mentioned.

I seem to remember the language issue being a problem at other times. Like they could NEVER talk for example. I wonder how they're gonna get around that one.

I did think it was one of Crichton's better books. I just hope they do it justice.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:25:46 PM
Have you read Prey? Excellent as well.

I think they could use Old English...I mean, they could do it just like they did in the book. I think.... I don't know whether they will or not, but I hope they do.

Paul Walker is a good choice for Chris...plus now I know I can get my roommate to go see it. :D

Sene Unty
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:33:29 PM
I love Crichton and have read mostly every one of his many books. Prey was absolutly amazing in nearly every ascpect, but Timeline was like a dream come true. It was just so damn interesting!

I can't wait for this movie...don't care who's in it or what they have done to change the book to fit the screen...I will judge when it has been seen.

As for the language...I really see no way they could possibly do the accents completly right...but then again if they mess up the pronunciation of something no one can correct them :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:46:58 PM
Well how can they do the accents right if no one is around who's heard it actually spoken? There are all sorts of language experts though, I mean, Marek, in the movie is a huge medieval geekazoid with huuuge muscles, and he learnt the language...albeit with the wrong pronunciation. All they have to do it fake it. I mean, who would know?

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2003, 10:44:12 PM
Have I read it? I've read like ALL of his books.

I found Prey to be amazing, until the last act. I felt that it was boardering on ludicrous...before that it was one of his best books.

Darth Viscera
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:16:01 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Have you read Prey? Excellent as well.

I think they could use Old English...I mean, they could do it just like they did in the book. I think.... I don't know whether they will or not, but I hope they do.

Paul Walker is a good choice for Chris...plus now I know I can get my roommate to go see it. :D

Old English? In France? Wouldn't they have to learn Old French?

Arya Ravenwing
Apr 16th, 2003, 10:03:55 AM
OY I forgot, yeah....French...but in the book they were speaking an old dialect of saxony or something I'll have to look it up.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2003, 11:15:06 AM
They were in Northern France I think right? I'd say this because this book takes place during the hundreds year war when England controlled parts of France, and if I am not mistaken the bad guy in the book is a British knight so it would be possible to be speaking Middle English (Old English was spoke in centuries before).

Darth Viscera
Apr 16th, 2003, 12:19:06 PM
Oh, that explains it, northern france.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 18th, 2003, 01:52:38 AM
Release Date: November 26, 2003 Never mind, its not coming out in the summer. DARN IT.

^_^;

Language spoken should be Occitian and Latin, or perhaps Old French or Middle English. They're all listed as languages Marek knows. I have no idea what is a spoiler. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 18th, 2003, 10:43:25 AM
Yeah it was suppose to come out in the summer and I think they had some delays and pushed it back to Nov., that is Thanksgiving weekend so it should still be a big movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:24:31 PM
<a href=http://panic.hopto.org/swf/lilly/poster1.jpg>The First Official Poster</a>

<a href=http://panic.hopto.org/swf/lilly/timelinedesktop.jpg>Desktop</a>

I made the desktop out of piccies I found on a site about the movie...not the offical site though. I'm still really excited about the movie. Also, my major bone with the changes I already know they've made, that they turned the Professor into Chris' dad, was made not so major when I just re-read the book. In the book it is explained that Chris was practically raised by the professor and he was like a father to him. So it isn't that big of a change. It would be hard to explain the history between them and just cutting out all the explainations and just making him his real dad makes it simpler from a movie point of view.

Still salivating over the trailer. *shivers*

CMJ
Jul 27th, 2003, 09:00:49 PM
I dig the poster.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 27th, 2003, 09:55:25 PM
Yeah it is cool I hope the movie is great Crichton novels haven't always been turned into great movies. Cough Congo Cough.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2003, 12:27:21 AM
Jurassic Park was a good movie. Although it really has to be considered, as CMJ told me a while ago, as a separate entity from the book itself.

I hope Timeline won't deviate so far. ^_^;

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:58:28 AM
I have no idea about the background behind this but from that desktop you made, lolly, it looks pretty neat! =D

Mortaniuss
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:14:53 AM
Hopefully, it'll turn out better than the game did (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/timeline/review.html).

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2003, 02:42:41 PM
Wow that game sounds like it was truly awful. >_<

JenJen you need to read Timeline!! asap!!*

*double exclaimation points for added urgency