PDA

View Full Version : I'm proposing a new rule

Shawn
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:58:20 PM
No more of these "I'm leaving" threads.

You can post to say that you're going on vacation, won't be around 2 weeks, etc. But none of this attention whoring "I hate you all, I'm leaving" crap. I'm tired of it.

Charley
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:07:52 PM
:thumbup

This is a step in the right direction :)

Taylor Millard
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:09:24 PM
I agree with this.

ANd LD says she agrees too.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:15:15 PM
We will need to come up with some better "language" for an actual rule like his, but I agree with the concept of it.

Shawn
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:45:36 PM
Oh btw... :lol

As a bit of irony, I'm going to be leaving home Friday and will be gone until the 22nd. It came as a bit of a surprise to me, too. Just letting you know.

I'm not sure how to phrase a rule like this, but I want it to be a catch-all for drama and attention whores, so it should include something about final judgement being at the staff's discretion.

imported_Eve
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:58:59 PM
Wouldn't it still be "spam"? Or "pointless", as there isn't a place where those threads belong. This is a Star Wars forum, not a "Let's make you feel better" psyco-hut.

I like it. I always hated those damn posts. You're not really leaving! You just want people to tell you to stay! Cause you have nothing better to do than watch soap operas!

Anyway, I like it.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:19:19 PM
go for it ... Attention whores bleh ....

I presume Eve Siren was trying to get a dig in because she RP's at that 'other place' totally unnecessary :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:34:34 PM
I am okay with it, is this happening a lot over in the RP section? Because other than Jon (who never could leave) nobody has done it in the box office section.

Shawn
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:52:32 PM
Yeah, the drama is pretty much exclusive to the RP section.

Mostly, it's because we all get to know each other personally. The BO forum is fairly impersonal: People post their opinions on stuff and discuss movies. If someone posted in the BO forum and said "You all suck, I'm leaving to go post at another movies forum", pretty much everyone would just go "Ok, have fun". In the RP section, it's basically just fishing for sympathy.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:06:36 PM
LOL it sounds like fun, don't know why anybody would pull something like that to me it is just stupid.

JMK
Apr 15th, 2003, 05:53:29 AM
I think some people spend WAY too much time on their computers and search for sympathy, but that's my 2 cents, and not really my business if folks live online.

I think its a great rule. So what's the consequence should someone try to make a martyr of themselves? Most people in the B.O. section just up and leave (Buffjedi for example).

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 06:31:16 AM
I move to vote on this. We can deal with the language later (I can personally, if you want).

I vote yea.

If, I'm not wrong then we have:

Shawn -Yea
Charley - Yea
Taylor - Yea
Holly - Yea
Ogre - Yea
Eve - Yea
Dale - Yea
Carr - Yea
JMK - Yea

That's 9 votes in favor.

Who else we waiting for?

Then I do suggest we just close those topics immediately on the grounds that they promote negativity and really have no place here. If they want to say goodbye, they can mass PM or e-mail.

Charley
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:27:18 AM
Roger Roger.

JMK
Apr 15th, 2003, 08:51:11 AM
You forgot me!!!
I'm #10!

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:15:12 AM
No I didn't - made a typo! Still nine... right?

CMJ
Apr 15th, 2003, 09:29:23 AM
I concur.

Shawn
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:17:25 PM
That was the idea. I figure that, after we close one or two topics of that nature with a note at the end, people should get the hint. Or we could make an announcement. Up to you all.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:15:01 PM
yeah, as Eve Siren's post is going ... she came back to continue on and on and on ... yet she is gone.

After the wording of the rule should annouce it first so everyone knows, and then close any topics from that point with the reason behind it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:39:52 PM
Announce it. I don't know about asking them to do a "mass PM" unless they were sure to only PM the people they knew.

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:22:40 PM
Thats what I meant when I said mass PM, or PM for more than one person. Not all of us, or its the same thing.

Can we just close the thread?

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:24:25 PM
Yeah, I think your last post in the thread sums it up well and sets it up well for closure.

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:25:43 PM
Okies, closing thread.

EDIT: I can't close it for some reason. Would you mind?

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:29:50 PM
From looking at the thread log, it looked like you closed then re-opened it. o_O

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:31:15 PM
Nut uh. I chose close, and that's all I did. Didn't do it twice cause I knew that would open it again.

EDIT: See says I did it in the same minute. My work comp doesn't load that fast... you should know. You worked on it. ;)

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:36:47 PM
Hmm, odness, you should experiment some on a thread in here later when you are at home and see if its just your work PC.

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:39:37 PM
Actually I've been having more problems at home. I can't post most days unless I reboot my system. I tried closing a thread before from home and it didn't work. Was just as well, I shoulda left the matter to forum mods anyway.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:41:18 PM
Hmm, I'll make your Sonja account an admin too and you can see if it has the same probs.

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:42:37 PM
Okay, thanks mister.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:52:52 PM
I may have the answer: Don't use the "Go" button, just make the selection in the drop down. The Javascript automatically presses the go button.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:03:38 PM
"Language" proposal for said rule:
If the sole purpose of a single thread is to say goodbye and state you are not going to be a part of the SWFans.Net Forum Community any longer, then that can be done elsewhere (AIM, one PM to all pals, Email, etc.). Such threads serve no constructive purpose. Any single thread posted with such content will be closed at the discretion of any staff member.

ReaperFett
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:14:43 PM
Ahem, missed a guy ;)

Although I think the problem is being exaggerated massively, I do feel that this rule will work. I say yes :)

imported_Eve
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:35:43 PM
I remembered you actually. I just thought we already had nine peeps.

Having a good time?

Good language Oges.

ReaperFett
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:39:47 PM
Yes thanks :)

TheHolo.Net
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:43:34 PM
Who wants to bet Dara gets wind of that thread and swings by at some point to read it....semi soon? :lol

Charley
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:04:40 PM
Thats money, right there

TheHolo.Net
Apr 17th, 2003, 02:55:31 PM
I think it best we wait a little while, so the Eve Siren situation can completely cool down, before we announce and implement this rule, lest there be some negative reaction to it along with possible finger pointing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 18th, 2003, 01:33:08 AM
Good idea as well. :) Its called "CYA" and we should do it. :)

TheHolo.Net
May 15th, 2003, 05:23:27 PM
Seeing Lebron's new thread in BO, I think its appropriate that we implement this rule soon. As soon as the announcement currently in the OOC forum expires I will do so there and in the BO forum as well as adding it to our general FAQ.

e:f,b by Shawn more or less. ^_^;

ReaperFett
May 15th, 2003, 05:28:27 PM
I disagree with the rule as a general thing. As in, lebron's, yes, close that. But if he wrote a page saying why he left, moving into what he has enjoyed and not enjoyed, before a thank you list, why shouldnt that be posted? THat's how I'd want to go out, having said Im going, recalled past glories and thanked those who did so much for me.

TheHolo.Net
May 15th, 2003, 05:38:37 PM
But the example you just gave shows that such a post's sole purpose is more than the rule entails and thus not covered by it. :p

ReaperFett
May 15th, 2003, 05:39:43 PM
Yeah, but the definition of the rule says goodbye threads. It is still a goodbye thread :)

TheHolo.Net
May 15th, 2003, 05:41:59 PM
But it says in the first few words "sole purpose" which means only single purpose. What you suggested is more of an explanation that could serve constructive or reflective purposes. You are misreading the rule.

ReaperFett
May 15th, 2003, 05:46:58 PM
So if it was "Goodbye and thanks" as opposed to "Goodbye" (Obviously more words ;)), it is fine? Okay :)

Shawn
May 15th, 2003, 05:52:07 PM
If the "goodbye" thread is done in a constructive manner, I think that will be allowed. That is to say, if you're not saying "I hate you all so I'm leaving!" and more saying "Hey, I had a good time but I can't RP here anymore", I'd be more willing to leave it open.

However, in either case, I'd still bet money that the person in question would eventually come back.

I considered adding it to the FAQ, but I figured that it would become a rule through precedent: That is, if anyone questions the rule in the future, I can point to Lebron's thread and show them that it's been done before.

TheHolo.Net
May 15th, 2003, 06:10:00 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
I considered adding it to the FAQ, but I figured that it would become a rule through precedent: That is, if anyone questions the rule in the future, I can point to Lebron's thread and show them that it's been done before. That what I'm thinking too and kind of indicated with my e: f,b comment earlier. Precident works for me.

Jedi Master Carr
May 15th, 2003, 09:29:30 PM
What is the deal with Lebron anyway? Is he mad at someone on the board?

Shawn
May 15th, 2003, 10:41:58 PM
Not sure if he's mad at anyone in particular. But I know some people are getting tired of his behaviour and have said as much to him.