PDA

View Full Version : So XP is so good then, eh?

Droo
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:32:34 PM
Tomorrow my new graphics card and hard drive will be arriving and as such I'll be rebooting my computer back to the old drawing board after fitting them. As such I'll be ditching old 98 and god-willing have XP as my operationg system. It's the Home Edition I believe.

The last time I had computer upgrades, the drama which ensued gave me a good few grey hairs and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible tomorrow. The problem which I fear will face me is one or two compatability issues with some of my hardware with the XP OS. For example when I installed my new motherboard a while ago, I installed XP onto my current hard disk, wiping the slate clean only to find that I didn't have any sound. This aggrivated me a great deal because my motherboard - Epox 8RDA+ - has the nForce2 chipset and it appears, not too suprisingly as the nF2 chipset is fairly new compared to XP, that there are compatibility issues with the onboard sound. I discovered this by running the XP upgrade advisor on my comp.

Below is a copy of the advisor report:

Setup found hardware or software on your computer that might not or will not work with Windows XP. You should read and understand this upgrade report before continuing.
For more information, click a topic:

Warnings
Helpful Information

Setup has detected that some hardware or programs on your computer might not function correctly after the upgrade is completed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warnings (
The following issues might require you to obtain files from Microsoft Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. You can still continue to upgrade to Windows XP without resolving these issues, but some hardware or software might not work. Follow the recommendations in each section.
Hardware Compatibility Issues
Setup has found hardware on your computer that is incompatible with (that is, it does not work with) Windows XP.

Hardware That Might Need Additional Files
The following hardware might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP. Contact your hardware vendors to obtain Windows XP compatible updates. In many cases, if a Windows XP version is not yet available, a Windows 2000 compatible update should work. It is recommended that you obtain these drivers in advance.
You can also view the Microsoft Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List on the Web.

Please note that some of the following entries might be software that is registered as hardware.

Imaging Device
Digital Video Camera (not currently present)

Network adapters
NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter

Other devices
PCI Universal Serial Bus

Printer
Lexmark Z13

Sound, video and game controllers
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital)

System devices
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management

Scanners or Digital Cameras That Might Not Work
Setup did not recognize the following scanners or digital cameras. Before upgrading, check the packaging that came with each device to see if it supports Windows XP, or contact the device manufacturer. Reinstall each device when Setup is complete, using the software that came with the device.

Digital Video Camera

>_<!

I've ran a complete Windows update from the website and this problem still exists.

If anyone has any idea how to solve this problem, specifically those who have motherboards with the same chipset, please enlighten me and if you could offer any advice on installing hard drives and graphics cards that would be most appreciated. I don't want to have another "LAN Gate" incident. :\

Morgan Evanar
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:46:51 PM
Um, XP works fine with the nForce 2. Just nab the latest drivers off nVidia's site.

I should know, I have an Abit NF7-S. Sweet board too. There are no compatability issues. You need to uninstall any related drivers and install the new ones.

This is why you never upgrade and clean install only.

Figrin D'an
Apr 14th, 2003, 03:52:26 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
This is why you never upgrade and clean install only.

One of the great truisms of operating systems...

It's a driver issue, definately. The latest builds should solve the problem.

Loki Ahmrah
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:20:37 PM
I've downloaded the Nvidia XP drivers. I'm burning a CD of all the drivers I need for XP that mightn't come with it. All I can do now is cross my fingers and wait.

Stardust
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:41:34 PM
Are you using the HCL list from the Website or CD?
(HCL = Hardware Compatability List)

Usually the CD HCL list is out of date quickly, just use the DL'd drivers and you should have no major problems.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:54:10 PM
Trust me, the NF2 is on the HCL.