PDA

View Full Version : help me help me, video sales and rental numbers

sirdizzy
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:59:42 PM
Ok i have been getting in a big arguement with a complete idiot who keeps making false statements on how LOTR will be the #1 trilogy of all time (hell he even had the audacity to say LOTR will be the first trilogy to make 1 billion dollars, which i promptly shot him down about star wars actually being the first)

now i can get box office totals (like the fact that star wars movies have made 1.8 billion domestically and 3.4 billion worldwide) but i have no idea how to get vhs and dvd sales or how to get video rentals on the movies

is there a site that tells you the #1 selling video and dvd of all time (seperate categories perfably)

and is there a site that tells you the #1 video rental of all time

help me obi wan kenobi your my only hope

sirdizzy
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:02:39 PM
oh an another thing i would like to know

does anyone know a site that tells you most tickets sold and not money grossed as away to factor the #1 movie of alltime (no not an inflation site i have seen those but an actual ticket sale)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:08:22 PM
Box Office Mojo has some of those things but I am not sure how much detail they go into about VHS/DVD sales. Also I think it is depends on how you look at all 6 SW movies will out gross all 3 LOTR movies but that is unfair because that is 6 vs 3. If you look at the OT you could try to count inflation and I am sure the OT has made more money than LOTR will

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:12:24 PM
I know off hand the world wide DVD champ is LOTR in all it's variations, followed by Harry Potter. Video? Stuffed if anyone knows. I think

I would also point out that you could be quite wrong in the end - LOTR trilogy will probably knock Star Wars OT off WW by a fairly large margin. Your not comparing like to like - 2 movies plays five for your totals.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:18:06 PM
Well if you count inflation I would say the OT would win I think Jedieb had some numbers about ANH and TESB inflation numbers and they were alot higher.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:27:39 PM
You can only really compare ticket sales, esp for something rereleased as many times as ANH. Domestic, yeah SW would own anything. WW? Ah, not so. Then again WW has only really begun to develop over the last ten years.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:38:16 AM
Wasn't ANH inflation numbers like 925 Million?

CMJ
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:16:49 AM
It was pretty high...but that included all the re-issues as well.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:36:58 AM
which is why ticket sales is the only accurate medium to compare with.

CMJ
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:55:27 AM
The USA doesn't count ticket sales though. Never have.

sirdizzy
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:19:56 AM
boc office mojo had ANH's inflation numbers at 1 billion

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:21:36 AM
Does that just count domestic? If it doesn't than it would be over a billion, I still say that OT will be bigger if you look at that over all, it was the series that started the box office the way it is and I have to think it will stay #1 counting inflation.

CMJ
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:02:56 PM
Sir Dizzy that counts all the re-issues though.

We've gone through all these numbers ad naseum in the past. ;)