PDA

View Full Version : 2004 year of the sequel and big movie

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:10:33 PM
Looking at what is coming out next year I have a feeling it will break 2002 easily especially the summer (if the release dates don't change) First you have Van Helsing (Big Universal movie) coming out first weekend of May, Troy (Big WB epic which could still be moved) mid May. MI3 is suppose to come out Memorial Day weekend, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (suppose to come out first week of June but they could still move it to Nov) Shrek 2 mid June (I am betting this gets moved if HP 3 stays there), Spiderman 2 (July 4) and Jurassic Park 4 probably late July (if it gets done in time) And there are probably more Disney will have a big animated film I am sure and there could be others projects from Sony and Fox that I am not aware of. Still 2004 is going to be huge especially that summer line up you could have at least 5 films over 200 million next year.

JediBoricua
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:23:32 PM
It seems the last five years have been years of the sequel and big movie.

It's getting boring fast IMO.

Shawn
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:31:44 PM
Yes, it kind of does. But I think it's painfully obvious that Hollywood is running out of ideas.

On the plus side: Sequels are starting to not suck. At least some of the time. It used to be that "sequel" pretty much meant that it wasn't going to be worth seeing.

This year looks like it could be a really good year for movies if even half of them turn out well.

JediBoricua
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:45:33 PM
Some sequels are good. But in reality how many comic book movies can you make, or how many old tv shows can you turn into movies. There are good ideas in Hollywood, but studios are too scared on spending money on new projects that don't offer a sure return.

It's a shame really, and the way technology is going, if they don't move fast they will suffer the same fate as the music industry, nobody buying cd's and copying everything from the web.

Darth Turbogeek
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:50:17 PM
You dont need good ideas, what you need is good execution. Old ieas still work if done right.

Shawn
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:54:30 PM
Still, they shouldn't be afraid to venture into new areas. That's why a lot of people like Indy films: They often have to try and think of something completely different to keep the viewers' interest.

Figrin D'an
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:29:25 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Looking at what is coming out next year I have a feeling it will break 2002 easily especially the summer (if the release dates don't change) First you have Van Helsing (Big Universal movie) coming out first weekend of May, Troy (Big WB epic which could still be moved) mid May. MI3 is suppose to come out Memorial Day weekend, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (suppose to come out first week of June but they could still move it to Nov) Shrek 2 mid June (I am betting this gets moved if HP 3 stays there), Spiderman 2 (July 4) and Jurassic Park 4 probably late July (if it gets done in time) And there are probably more Disney will have a big animated film I am sure and there could be others projects from Sony and Fox that I am not aware of. Still 2004 is going to be huge especially that summer line up you could have at least 5 films over 200 million next year.

Honestly... of all those films you mentioned, the only ones I'm interested in seeing are Troy and Harry Potter. Maybe Spiderman 2. That's it.

Unless something else comes down the pipe for Summer '04, it looks like the rental place will get most of my business instead of the movie theatre.

Sejah Haversh
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:33:59 AM
They're making a Shrek 2? Oy, this could be bad....

And, on the plus side, from the unreleased lot photos I've seen of Charlies Angels 2, slated for this year, of course, it looks like a very fun movie.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:36:55 AM
WHAT???? Charlies angels was a road smash of a moive! a sequel is bound to be worse!

Sejah Haversh
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:45:40 AM
I said fun, not good. Big difference there.

Lots of things blow up and stunts are performed by hot chicks and there are funny jokes. By my standards, that makes for a fun movie.

I also consider "Kickboxer" to be a fun movie, okay? And I liked Charlie's Angels because it was silly and campy and stuff blew up. So I'm a sucker for action movies.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:54:38 AM
I dodnt think much of the action either - I thought it was quite lame. The explody btis werent all that explody IMO

JMK
Apr 13th, 2003, 08:55:41 AM
Charlie's Angels are nothing but guilty pleasure movies. I really enjoyed the first one, I left my brain at home and just let the sound system bang my eardrums. Nothing wrong with that. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:17:06 AM
Well I will look foward to Troy and Harry Potter as well (POA is the film I am looking foward the most to in 2004) Spiderman 2 I will go see. I am not sure about another Shrek the first one was very good but the sequel might not work. I also forgot the Alexander the Great film that is another I am sure there are other projects but man there does seem to be a lot of sequels.

Sanis Prent
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:39:16 PM
Only looking forward to Troy, and even then, not massively anticipating. Worried they'll screw Shrek 2 up, have no interest in Spidey 2 or the Harry Potter franchise, and MI and JP sequels = radiocative donkey balls.

JMK
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:32:54 PM
I'm interested in Troy, Spidey 2 and like everyone, I'm cautious about Shrek 2. The rest....I think I want to be sick...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:10:26 PM
I don't think HP: POA is going to be a bad Sequel, actually it will be the best film of the Harry Potter films the book is the best of the series, IMO.

FireKat
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:24:52 PM
I still haven't seen the 2nd HP. I'm trying to find a way to do so without having to pay money. The first was a waste for me, and I'm hesitant about the 2nd one.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:36:33 PM
The Second one is a lot better, IMO darker, scarier and more action, also have a better villain, Issacs does a great job if he keeps this up he is going to be the best villain actor in hollywood.