PDA

View Full Version : Name one good movie

Zeke
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:51:49 PM
I haven't seen one in ages, and I'd like some recommendations. Can be an old one, a new one, doesn't matter much to me. Odds are I haven't seen it.

Droo
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:54:01 PM
Last really great film I saw, which was a few days ago now, was "Apocalypse Now". Before that, "2001: A Space Odyssey". Both are amazing, that's my opinion, but they really are films which polarize audiences. You will probably either love or hate them.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:57:14 PM
Apocalypse Now: Redux :thumbup
Platoon
Band of Brothers (if you have time to see it all)
etc

Shawn
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:58:59 PM
I really liked Daredevil. If you think a comicbook action flick will suit your style, go see it. Pretty much anything by Kubrick is up for grabs. The Thing is still my favorite horror movie of all time. Cube is just an excellent indy film. And Jacob's Ladder is a film I think everyone should see.

If you're really pressed for ideas, try hitting up IMDB and just look at some of the highest rated movies.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:00:29 PM
2001 is terribly boring. I've read both the book and the movie. Boooooring.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Anything Mel Brooks (Men in Tights, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstien, History of the World Part 1). The Marx Brothers, anything by them.

Droo
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:09:06 PM
It was Redux that I watched. It is apparently a bit of a drag if you don't get drawn into it - I thought it was spectacular so had no problem with it's length. And "2001" tested my patience at times I must admit, but the use of sound in that film is ingenius. I give it credit for a significant amount of the look of the original trilogy. Having said that, I echo Shawn, anything by Kubrick is top notch.

Another great film I saw recently for the first time was "The Godfather". I loved that too. "Bridge on the River Kwai" is awesome also. The list goes on and on.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:21:58 PM
2001 was terrible...blarg. I felt myself getting older from watching it.

The only Kubrick that I really enjoy is "A Clockwork Orange", "Full Metal Jacket", and "Dr. Strangelove". Everything else is kinda blarg.

MasterPewter
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:23:10 PM
Hehe DUMB AND DUMBER !!!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 9th, 2003, 05:32:06 PM
Originally posted by MasterPewter
Hehe DUMB AND DUMBER !!!!!

I hope that was a joke

Yeah, 2001 is NOT fun to watch. BOOOORRRRINNNGGGGG. Signs is good tho.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:54:55 PM
Anything done by M. Night Shyamalan is a must-see.

ReaperFett
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:07:11 PM
Equilibrium. You should try it :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:31:05 PM
um, let's see old movies, Boondock Saints, Tombstone, Reservior Dogs....newer, hmm, *browses new release wall in her mind* I-Spy, um, kuso, can't think of any right now....

ReaperFett
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:32:45 PM
Boondock Saints will do :)

JediBoricua
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:35:18 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo

sirdizzy
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:44:50 PM
in theatres now

basic
dardevil
chicago
the pianist

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:22:02 PM
Originally posted by Commander Zemil Vymes
Anything done by M. Night Shyamalan is a must-see.

Oh hell yes, absolutly. This man is goign to become one of the all time greatest directors if he keeps this up. Signs, Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense. Signs even got me scared and I dont scare easy in films.

Does anyone know what he's doign next?

Figrin D'an
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:49:13 PM
The Sixth Sense was excellent... I enjoyed it immensely. I still love the use of the color red. Unbreakable was okay... not bad, but not great, IMO. Signs was very good... great acting performances, the sequence in the basement was very well crafted...

I've seen little to nothing that is in theatres right now... I'm waiting for a lot of stuff to hit video, and saving my money for specific films that I absolutely want to see at the cinema... I spent way too much money on theatre shows the last few years, and am trying to cut back on that part of my spending.

Shawn
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:05:41 AM
I found Unbreakable really boring. It was just really slow paced and didn't have any real excitement, IMO. Signs was kind of hoaky for the first hour or so, but the last half hour really redeemed it. The Sixth Sense has to be the best of his films.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:07:27 AM
Apocalypse Now is great. I haven't seen the Redux, but the original is awesome. AWESOME.

Full Metal Jacket is also cool, at least the first half is, I haven't seen past the end of bootcamp in that movie.

Princess Bride! A classic. Watch it again. :)

Anbira Hicchoru
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:19:06 AM
I'm gonna rent FMJ and watch it again this weekend :)

Sejah Haversh
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:46:52 AM
Back to the Future
Any Indiana Jones movie
Lawrence of Arabia
Any Pink Panther movie
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (I highly reccomend this movie.)
The Secret of N.I.M.H.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Roman Holiday
Charade

There, some of my personal favorites.

Dae Jinn
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:57:06 AM
Secret of N.I.M.H is awesome :) As is Apocalypse Now

Trainspotting
the Dead series by George A Romero (Dawn of the Dead, etc)
Friday the 13th (ok, not good movies, but I find them funny)
Pulp Fiction
Platoon
Akira
Wallace and Gromit (not a movie, but gooooood!)
Chicago
LOTR :mischief

Zeke
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:12:26 PM
Dae, there is no way in hell I'm watching LOTR. Is this all? Surely there's more! I'ma have plenty of free time come summer break, and I need a way to spend it all!

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:16:05 PM
Drive to the beach and become a beach bunny.

Seriously dont' spend your summer break inside all the time! :eek

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:18:26 PM
beach bunny? *laughs* sorry was thinking of Bunny the Lifeguard of Jack***

Zeke
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:23:19 PM
LD, this is to counterbalance all the time I'm gonna be spending terrorizing the place with my brothers on our golf cart. :D Plus, it'll maybe keep the parents from bothering me if they sit down and watch too.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:24:25 PM
wish I had time off, I'm prolly gonna be stuck working most days all summer.....

Nayette Lamonge
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:27:56 PM
Laurence of Arabia :)

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:34:00 PM
The Deer Hunter