PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 3 may be unlikely

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:40:16 AM
Marvel seeks to terminate its license agreement with Sony after the completion of "Spider-Man 2" and also filed claims against Sony for "cross-promoting" "Spider-Man" with other Sony features.

The dispute began last fall, when Sony became concerned that Marvel was using inappropriate accounting methods to deprive Sony of its share of payments from Marvel's exploitation of the Spider-Man character. Sony then withheld $1.5 million from a participation payment made to Marvel and announced it would begin an audit in January.

From there, the dispute mushroomed into what Sony describes as an attempt by Marvel to force the unjustified renegotiation of the license agreement. According to Sony's papers, Marvel executives repeatedly have expressed their unhappiness with the 1999 license agreement, particularly their participation in the film's box office and home entertainment receipts.

Sony also alleges that despite an agreement to resolve their dispute privately, Marvel filed an inflammatory complaint with sensitive and confidential documents attached as exhibits to force Sony to renegotiate. The two documents Sony most wants to keep sealed are the license agreement itself and an internal marketing document. According to Sony's papers, the document contains extremely detailed information about revenue projections and licensing rates for the first "Spider-Man" feature. Publicizing the information, Sony said, will jeopardize its ability to make licensing agreements on the sequel.

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:41:42 AM
And there was much rejoicing...

..."yay"

Shawn
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:47:05 AM
There's been a ton of financial disputes surrounding this franchise. Probably because there was such a disgusting amount of promotion for it. At any rate, I think I would have gotten sick of it by the third film.

Honestly, I have a little bit of faith that sequels can be good, if a lot of effort is put into it. But I have difficulty trying to think of very many movies franchises where the third film was still good.

Intentional trilogies don't count, so no naming Star Wars or LOTR.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:40:00 AM
Oh good. Saved from endless useless sequels from one thing is good news

JMK
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:10:39 AM
If it dies, someone will find a way to ressurect it for sure.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:13:56 AM
Yeah, hopefully we will get it at Fox. X-Men + Daredevil + Elektra + Spiderman at the same studio = possible teamups :D

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:40:01 AM
I think there will be a sequel eventually maybe with a different cast.

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:24:13 PM
Yes, I'm sure they'll also put Vin Diesel in it too.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:25:21 PM
That would just be cruel.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:07:52 PM
Nah, he wants to be SIlver Surfer :)

JMK
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:05:55 PM
Are they really going to go ahead with that?o_O

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:07:59 PM
What, SIlver Surfer? I doubt it. He just said in an interview that was who hed want to play. IIRC, it was due to being asked about playing Venom.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:27:48 PM
The Silver Surfer would be almost impossible to do because of all the FX it probably would cost over 200 million, I guess, unless they did animated like Final Fantasy.