PDA

View Full Version : Sars

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:18:04 PM
Is anybody scared of this thing? This disease has only been around a few months and it has killed more than 100 people, thousands are sick and more can die, it has hit Canada and I am sure it will come to the US. Shouldn't the media being reporting this more this could be a huge disease that could effect us all.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:25:47 PM
Bah, it's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Fact : You need some sort of close contact

fact : It dies in enviroment exposure

Fact : four percent die. Mainly because they have additional complications not related to the disease.

Frankly, Malaria kills more per hour that SARS has full stop. There are far worse diseases - hell, influenza is actually just as or more deadly, especially to old folks. I also understand that it weakens with each new infection generation.

James Prent
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:28:33 PM
I find it a little unsettling, yes. Heard on the radio it might be linked to clamidia? but I have no idea if they were making that up or not...it was the 'shock jocks' on my local rock station. Sometimes they just say things that aren't true at all.

Sanis Prent
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:31:16 PM
It is being blown out of proportion by the media. I am not worried.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:31:23 PM
I read on the net that doctors are baffled by it, it does seem serious more serious than the Flu, I thought I heard it spreads like the flu and all it takes is for somebody to cough on you.

Shawn
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:55:01 PM
Everything I've read says that it has a 2% mortality rate, unless they've changed their estimate recently.

Personally, I'm kind of tired of hearing about it. It really is something that the media is blowing way out of proportion. I'm not in the least bit worried about it. It's not really Captain Trips.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:58:52 PM
Doctors know jack yet how it's spread. What they know is what I've posted. They have some guesses, but they dont really know.

It's not more serious than the flu. Influenza, might I remind is extremely contageous, constantly mutating organism that cuased millions to die in 1918. Influenza has killed millions more in the years afterwards, invaribly ones that are weakened by other disease, or old age. It's waaaaaay overblwon, this is not the much awaited next batch of killer influenza

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:29:37 AM
Yeah but nobody dies from the flu today in western countries and people are dying of this in Canada so it worse than the flu is today.

Figrin D'an
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:33:34 AM
The only reasons SARS is garnering so much press is because it happened to have fatal effects on some in highly industrialized nations, and because investigating physicians stated that it was not a strain of influenza, as originally thought.

There are other viral infections that I'd be far more concerned about.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:39:50 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Yeah but nobody dies from the flu today in western countries and people are dying of this in Canada so it worse than the flu is today.

Wrong, I'm sorry. Go to a nursing home and find out just how worried they are about Influenza. or for young children. Influenza even can kill still, healthy adults. And because it mutates so fast, another deadly outbreak happens every 30 years approx.

Figrin D'an
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:40:51 AM

Not true at all. Influenza, and complications from it, cause about 36,000 deaths annually in the United States alone. Over 110,000 have to be hospitalized annually for treatment.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:45:44 AM
I never realized the flu killed so many people in the US, just about all of them are the eldery right? I don't think anybody under 2-50 could die from it unless they just didn't take care of themselves.

Captain Tyle
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:48:13 AM
Yep, flu is still a big-time killer...and kills at all ages, just mainly the young and elderly.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:48:31 AM
I never realized the flu killed so many people in the US, just about all of them are the eldery right? I don't think anybody under 2-50 could die from it unless they just didn't take care of themselves.

The elderly are most at risk, yes, but 20-50 year olds still can be killed. Even healthy adults can be killed. Plus, think about how many people get hit with the flu each year.

Figrin D'an
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:51:13 AM
It depends upon the strain. No two people have the same immune system. There are instances in which seemingly healthy persons can secumb to a particular flu strain that their bodies simply cannot fight off. It's also not uncommon for influenza to leave a person's immune system so weak that pnuemonia or bacterial infections can take over and run rampant.

Many of those deaths are elderly people, yes. But the flu can kill anyone given the right conditions.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:59:58 AM
Or just leave them sick for a month, like the current strain can do.

What I would be scared by would be a AIDS like virus with the spreading ability of a Influenza. somethign you dont know you have for years until it flares.

Shawn
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:26:13 AM
If there's a disease I think is worth keeping an eye on, it's Ebola, which has a 90% mortality rate. The only reason this thing hasn't spread is because it kills its carriers so quickly that they usually don't have the chance to spread it to anyone else.

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=2523118

^ A very poignant article on SARS.

It seems that SARS is, indeed, up to a 4% mortality rate, currently. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the only reason so many people have died of it so far is because its main hotspots are in southern China: A very heavily populated area.

If, for the sake of argument, it got to the US and was spreading like wildfire... it's still not terribly lethal. Take a few precautions, keep yourself in good health and you should be fine.

The only reason people are so worried is because it's something new that the media is hopping on like a pack of slavering hounds. But it's nothing notably more dangerous than anything else we've come across.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:32:09 AM
Ebola is the most dangerous virus out there if that became an airborne disease it would be like the Plague, Millions, would die.

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:40:51 AM
Ebola has become airborne, and did so in Reston, Virginia. We're damned lucky that the Reston strain doesn't affect humans...yet.

Ebola Zaire, and Marburg are less communicable at the moment, but vastly lethal, and gruesome.

JMK
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:09:31 AM
Well I can tell you that Sars is all over the place in the media here. Am I worried about it? You tell me: My boss is Chinese, was in Hong Kong less than 2 months ago, and so were my 2 best friends. No, I'm not that worried at all.

Dae Jinn
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:02:55 AM
It is rather freaky when you have to fill out a form and wear a mask when you enter the hospital. :x

I'm more worried about my mum (who almost died a few years ago and gets sick quite often) getting it then anything. You just have to wash your hands a lot and normal hygiene things from I know. I think it's getting a lot of attention because of the things you said. The fact that all hospitals in Ontario have taken measures to make sure it doesn't spread any further is good and all, but it's already been in some of the major hospitals in Toronto, even Sick Kids. :\

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:55:49 AM
Well...now's the time for that Canadian health care to shine. You guys are always saying how good it is, after all :)

Dae Jinn
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:43:28 PM
:lol

Because it is good :)

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:45:24 PM
Then quit yer bitchin :)

Dae Jinn
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:59:57 PM
I wasn't bitching.Sorry if my mum works with druggies and drunks who might have it (she works in a Detox) and I don't want her to catch it :mneh

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:03:08 PM
My mom is a medical oncologist. Just as much risk there, and I'm not worried whatsoever.

JMK
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:05:04 PM
Yes but Toronto has one of the highest percentages of Chinese residents in the world, if not the highest. Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are all at pretty good risk, but still, I'm not that worried about catching it myself.

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:11:59 PM
I'm pretty sure San Francisco has a higher percentage, actually. And since its the dastardly yellow man who is the culprit, guess we should start rooting those crazy slants out! :uhoh |I

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:16:17 PM
Dont call them that.

Taataani Meorrrei
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:20:19 PM
Fett...you forget who you're talking to?

Droo
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:55:41 PM
That's not an excuse.

Back to Sars, there's a woman over here who has quarantined herself in her home until she is cleared and is certain she doesn't have Sars in order to protect the community. She had just recently returned from Asia and I think it's a rather noble and selfless thing to do. You go girl.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:07:42 PM
I'd say thats plenty of excuse, if I'm a member of that particular club.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:13:28 PM
How much of you is Chinese or whichever it is, as a fraction.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:19:42 PM
1/16th, same as about any of my other nationalities.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:21:08 PM
1/16 is enough to call yourself in the club these days? My dog has German ancestry, can I start doing German jokes now, not caring about being offensive, because Im "in the club"?

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:27:38 PM
Are you German?

I am, so go right ahead if you want, I couldn't care less.

You're missing the point anyway. JMK was saying that Toronto was in vastly more danger "due to all those Chinese people".

Maybe you should retract and rethink exactly what might be offensive.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:39:26 PM
JMK said it in a fine way. WHat he didnt say was "And since its the dastardly yellow man who is the culprit, guess we should start rooting those crazy slants out!"

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:45:54 PM
Just helping him fill in the gaps that he missed with his lovely statement. Sarcasm much?

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:47:34 PM
If you read, he says his boss was in 2 months ago, and is CHinese. So, a lot of people who would visit the area = a threat. THat's not racist or anything. Thats logic.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:50:34 PM
But to insist that its the chinese that are the culprit...saying Toronto has the largest proportion of chinese people when that isn't true...the scapegoating is a bit offensive to blame the proportion of SARS cases in Canada to simply the Chinese, and ignore other factors that may be at work.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:05:50 PM
Lets see what he insists:

- His boss was in HK recently

- Two of his best friends were also

- That Toronto has ONE OF the highest %ages of Chinese residents in the world

So where does he say they are the culprit? Where does he say they have the largest proportion of chinese people? If you're going to accuse, at least read his posts properly.

A great number of people from China will go home to visit relatives. It is believed that this started in Asia. So it could well be due to travel there.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:08:28 PM
Using that logic, why is there no big surge in SARS cases in San Fran, where there is a higher proportion of Chinese?

That is why I question such a conclusion.

ReaperFett
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:11:01 PM
Because you need someone in the 4% to get there first.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:20:16 PM
You could just as easily question screening & quarantine procedures though.

JMK
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:12:32 PM
I was simply making connections. It IS believed that it was recently started in China, and I know 3 people who have been there in the past couple months. What I didn't do is blame this whole mess on the Chinese. Who cares where it came from? The point is it came from somewhere which people I know have visited recently. If you're going to read any more into that than what has actually been said, you're mistaken. Period.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:01:48 AM
I'm not a mod here but you guys all seem to be. I'd tell you all to stfu and take your arguements to PM.

I'd also tell you to keep racial slurs off the boards, no matter if you're white and you're calling people crackers. I don't care either way. Knock it off.

Droo
Apr 9th, 2003, 03:53:41 AM
I'm not a mod but I have enough common sense to be aware of how volatile a situation the use of racial slurs can stir. (Points upawrds) Like I've said before, racism or that which can be easily interpretted as racism should have no place here.

Ka' el Darcverse
Apr 9th, 2003, 08:41:31 AM
I think Beijing has a higher percentage of Chinese than both Toronto and San Fran. But I could be wrong...

ReaperFett
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:57:24 AM
You're just in the realms of fantasy man! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:23:52 PM
LOL no is that why they call it China :p And cut it out with the jokes or I might just close this thread.

Sanis Prent
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:35:36 PM
HEY! LETS STOP BEATING A DEAD HORSE PLZ!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:40:48 PM
I am not beating a dead horse I am just telling everybody that I want this thread to keep going where it was going.

JediBoricua
Apr 9th, 2003, 08:41:07 PM
Wait, SARS kills horses?

;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:32:10 AM
OMG OMG HORSES NOOOOOOOOOOOOo

*cough*

What are the symptoms of SARS? I know its respiratory, so, coughing etc?

Shawn
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:46:53 AM
Difficulty breathing is the big one. Shortness of breath, etc. If you have problems breathing, see a doctor.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:59:20 AM
I'm congested but that's not the same thing.

ReaperFett
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:06:00 AM
You're not using Sars as an excuse to get out of it LD ;)