PDA

View Full Version : Technical Difficulties!!!!

Xazor Elessar
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:19:42 PM
I am having a huge problem.

Okay, last week I 'cleaned out' my computer. Basically I needed more room on my hard drive so I went and deleated a bunch of files and programs I don't need (ie: games, pics, documents, etc) I did this with the help of my mom who builds computers for a hobby job. She knows what she's doing, and I knew what I was doing so I didn't delete someting important.

Anywho, I'll cut to the chase. The next day I went to download a song on Kazaa and it wouldn't work -- it said I was not connected to the internet or something. Well, that's crazy because I'm on a cable connection and my internet was working perfectly (still is, obviously). It never goes down! Anywho, not only does that not work, but neither does my Yahoo Messenger! I decided to download BearShare and see if that would work and it's acting the same way, as if I'm disconnected or something -- yet my internet works and so does another internet program of mine. :\

I dunno what to do and I don't think I deleted anything vital to these programs. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please please PLEASE help me out! I'm going nutso!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Xazor
:angel

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:23:22 PM
..Sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me. Cleaned out harddrive, don't think I deleted anything important, and boom.

Run some anti-virus scanners, some spy-ware scanners, and redownload kazaa. Had to do that a few times before thnigs started working 50% better. Still not totally fixed though.

Xazor Elessar
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:25:45 PM
The problem is, though, I've run those things too and nothing seems to be wrong with my comp. :\

Shawn
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:37:00 PM
Do you have a firewall of any kind? That's what it sounds like.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:39:28 PM
Or you snarfed a random .dll that was shared by a program.

Shawn
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:41:30 PM
Mmm... since she downloaded another P2P program and that didn't work, it sounds like the programs are having difficulty accessing the proper ports.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:43:11 PM
a) What operating system is it?

b) Have you run the latest service pack for it? Try that first.

I cant really see it being a sarfed dll, as the programs all should make calls to the same .dll's and protocols. that would mean all out, not just some workign and others not. A firewall in the way makes more sense, as the ports accessed differ. OTOH, if it was all non MS programs out, and MS programs working, then I could see a .dll being damaged.

edit - Strangely enough, just found a reference to this problem - fixed by uninstalling KaZaa and installing Kazaa Lite.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:57:23 PM
:lol another nail in Kazaa's coffin

Xazor Elessar
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:59:49 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about but, sure. :\

All I know is that one day it was running, the next it wasn't. :( I heard that Kazaa Lite is baaaad and can cause problems on a comp. Maybe I'm confused and it's regular Kazaa. :huh

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:01:53 PM
Whoever told you that is also likely to tell you to hide under your desk in the event of a nuclear attack. Laugh at them for their ignorance.

Xazor Elessar
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:10:29 PM
Okay, if you say so -- I trust your judgement. :)

Guess I'll get rid of Kazaa and download Kazaa Lite. Is there any way to save my files or will they stay safe with BearShare and then I'll have them once I download Kazaa Lite????

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:19:19 PM
just move everything from your "My Shared Folder" inside Kazaa to another directory elsewhere, and can it

Xazor Elessar
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:23:29 PM
Okay, did that! :) *goes to download Kazaa Lite* :D Thanks for all the help! :D

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:28:04 PM
No problem. Also, I'd suggest getting ad-aware, and killing all the hidden spyware on your computer.

Xazor Elessar
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:32:10 PM
Tis a great idea. :) I'll go do that too. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:13:15 AM
Another convert to the church of Lite :D

imported_Taja Loraan
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:41:26 AM
..Okay, my friend gave me a big long explanation on how to get Kazaa Lite working the other day... and I've forgotten it completely.

Where do I download it from and then what do I do (he said something about deleting a specific folder in the program.. or something...)? :huh

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 8th, 2003, 05:03:11 AM
Type in Kazaa Lite on google.

Go to download site.

Install.

That's all I did :)

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:10:40 AM
http://doa2.host.sk/

Current good Kazaa lite site - gives tips, downloads and a few good tricks.

Xazor Elessar
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:49:32 PM
Thankies Marcus! :D

Xazor Elessar
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:45:49 PM
Ooooooooo problem again. I downloaded Kazaa Lite, and I made sure that's what it is. I popped it up on my desktop to see if I could download from it and it's doing the same thing that Kazaa did and Yahoo IM. :\ It's not 'connected' it says and I can't DL. :cry

I'm really paranoid about this, I really want to DL some music and I can't now. :cry It's bothering me to no extent. :grumble

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:39:23 PM
service pack for your operating system is next point of call.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2003, 09:44:25 PM
:thumbup yes get latest service pack ASAP

Stardust
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:38:42 PM
What Operating system are we talking about here?