PDA

View Full Version : Lick the Pavement

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:33:06 PM
“……What are you doing?”

“I’m stealing your purse.”

“Oh.”

The masked man snatched up Ariel’s bag. The masked man started to run away.

“Sithspit.”

Situations like these never ended well. A mugger stole something from an innocent civilian, and by the time five minutes had past someone was laying against a wall with a black eye, bawling and crying for their mommy. It was highly likely that it would be Ariel. At least, it would have been likely, had she not been throwing a punch at her attacker from behind.

“Frelling leech!”

*CRACK*

“Where do you get off on attacking poor defenceless girls?!”

*CRACK*

“… You sick frell!”

Man, now with severe bruising to his back and sides from multiple connections of fist and feet to his body, curls into a ball. Girl snatches her bag up out of his cold trembling hands. Girls steps over body … hesitates, gives it another kick for good measure, then continues on out of the alleyway.

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:45:58 PM
Jhony's arms are full of groceries. The Happy Child has stopped to offload and trade, so he's doing the shopping while his daughter May tries to get her brother to interact with someone, anyone. Zeke has been a slug, lying in his box and never moving, scooting himself around in his box and levitating food to him. He hears someone shout, but is too late to keep from running into Ariel.

"Excuse me."

He shifts the groceries to see the girl before him. She looks pissed; that won't do.

"Are you ok?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:48:38 PM
Adjusting the tote bag slung over her shoulder - which incidentally has nothing in it – the red-head smirked up at the figure who had spoken, presumably, to her.

“Oh sure. Just your average, every-day mugging victim. I’m fine.” ;)

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:52:29 PM
"Mugging victim?"

Jhony shrugs it off. She seems to be ok.

"You're awfully upbeat for a girl who was just mugged. I only know two others who could get mugged and walk away with a smile."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:57:20 PM
“Girls with no-fear; we’re a dying breed.”

She gave a polite, albeit insincere, smile. A quick glance down at her chrono said that she had a half an hour before she was due back at the shop to help with stocking the shelves up. Quirking an eyebrow, she squints as she looks up at the man once more – the sun directly behind him, was obscuring her vision somewhat.

…what’s up with that hat?

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:07:03 PM
"I suppose...though my son says the women at his Jedi Order are a fearless bunch."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:10:35 PM
“Oh, yeah. I hear that they are.” o_O

Taking a step to the side, and therefore putting the man right in front of the glare of the sun, she boggles at the thought of the ‘Jedi Order’ and what the frell it could be.

“… How come your son isn’t out here helping you with all of those?” she says with a small yawn, nodding at the bags in the mans arms.

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:13:23 PM
"He's kind of busy. He's got Padawans to worry with and Jedi business to conduct...though we just recently stole him from the GJO so he could spend some more time with us."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:16:15 PM
“You kidnapped your own son?”

A realisation dawns on Ariel – stopping in the street to talk to strange old men: not a good idea. Although she’d have liked to know what a GJO and a Padawan was, she was unsurprisingly reluctant to stay chatting any longer with a spooky guy in a cowboy hat who treated his children like contraband.

“… Maybe you should go do what you meant to do, and spend time with him?” ^_^;

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:25:13 PM
Jhony laughs.

"I don't mean that I literally stole him. I meant that we talked them into letting him come with us. What's your name? I'm Jhonathan Peris...Jhony is the preferred name though."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:32:07 PM
“Uhm, I’m Ariel… d’you want some help carrying those bags back?” :|

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:36:16 PM
Jhony shifts one of the lighter bags into her arms, tipping his hat as best he can.

"Thanks much, Ariel. We've got to go to the spaceport, where my ship's docked. It's only a block or so from here."

Jhony leads the way, talking over his shoulder to her.

"Have you got a job?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:38:52 PM
“I stack shelves,” she replied, proudly. It was the only job she’d ever managed to hold onto, and that was only because her uncle ran the store.

“… What type of ship you got? I hear those uh, YT models are pretty good for commercial flights.”

She made it seem as though she knew very little about ships – when really, deep down, she was a fanatic for crafts. Especially shiny ones.

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:42:20 PM
"It's an old corvette my son managed to get us for free. We've been slowly cleaning her up, upgrading her and making adjustments to her rooms. We can carry passengers and cargo, more than most other ships of our size. We named it the Happy Child."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:46:18 PM
“Cute name.” :)

Walking down the sunny street, she thought she could see the ship up ahead – a little rusty but decent none the less.

“Your son sounds like a nice guy.”

Jhony
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:48:01 PM
"He tries. He's one of the most carefree people I know."

Jhony frowns a bit as he tells her this...lately Zeke's not been himself.

"Ah, here he comes now."

A girl pushing a cart with a box is seen coming towards them.

"Hey May! I've got someone here who needs to meet Zeke."

May Peris
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:49:58 PM
"Hey Dad. He still wont' come out of the box."

May picks up the box with some difficulty and upends it, spilling her brother onto the ground.

"This is Zeke," she says with a frown.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:51:59 PM
Watching the figure spill out onto the pavement, Ariel cringes.

“… Hi Zeke.” :D

She gives a little wave with her free hand, her eyes wandering from face to face; mind mulling over the odd little situation.

“Nice box you’ve got there.”

Zeke
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:55:55 PM
Zeke stands up and faces her. His face is mostly blank, though his eyes seem to flicker at seeing her.

"Yeah," he says with a flat voice. "...who're you?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:58:55 PM
“Ariel… m’just helping your dad with his bags… for no good reason.”

Considering this Zeke was meant to be a happy guy, since his family were spending lots of time with him and all, he sure as Coruscant didn’t look too chipper. Anticipating he wouldn’t be the most talkative person, she continued:

“… show me where to put them?”

Zeke
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:00:44 PM
Zeke turns and walks back toward the ship, his box and cart sliding along behind him. He takes her inside and into the turbolift, then up to the family's quarters. They enter the kitchen and Zeke simply points at the refrigerator.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:10:12 PM
Being lead into their ship was a little bit odd – but somehow she got the impression that Zeke was too lethargic to pull anything stupid. Walking to the ‘fridge, she dumps the bag she’s carrying down by the cupboard nearest it and turns around to look back at Zeke.

“So… uh… :uhoh … why the long face?”

Zeke
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:21:14 PM
"Hmn."

Zeke rolls back into his box and sighs. After a moment or two, he speaks up.

"Are you a Garou?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:22:54 PM
Leaning forward a bit to peek in over the edge of the box, she shakes her head.

“I don’t think so… are you?” o_O

Zeke
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:25:27 PM
"No."

Zeke pauses for a moment, seeming to look through Ariel at something else.

"Can you use the Force?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:30:00 PM
She gives a bit of a shrug, and pulls the strap of her own bag back up onto her shoulder.

“I’ve never heard of that, so I couldn’t tell you. But … if it’s some sort of … ship-related thing, probably. I’m good with ships.”

Zeke
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:53:24 PM
"Hn...hm."

There's a long, awkward pause before Zeke's box begins to drift away. He passes his family in the hall without a word.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:47:09 AM
Ariel simply watched Zeke walk away. Now, she had thought – up until now – that her family were a little odd, but this odd bunch made her, uncle Petr and little Ana look like the perfect example of family life.

“Oh well. Guess I did what I came to do,” she muttered to herself before pacing out into the hallway, hearing Jhony and company up ahead.

Jhony
Apr 8th, 2003, 10:04:33 AM
"He's not the same. Something happened, but he won't tell us what...it's got him so down he hardly speaks. He said more when he asked who you were than he's said in a week," Jhony says idly to Ariel, watching his son slide away in his box. "We don't know what to do."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 10:12:12 AM
“I guess I just made a miracle happen then huh?” she replied, her tone sounding disinterested – when really it was more faint due to her watching the odd spectacle of Zeke sliding off in his box.

Snapping her eyes away from him, she looked back to Jhony.

“I’ve got a while before I have to get back to work. Maybe I could stay and try to cheer him up?”

Jhony
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:03:06 AM
"If you'd like. We'll be leaving in ten minutes, just so you know."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:26:43 AM
“Don’t have much time then,” she flashed Jhony a quick smile before scooting past him in the hall after the moving box.

“Hey Zeke, wait up!”

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:29:57 AM
The box rolls to a slow stop against the wall at the hallway's end, waiting expectantly for Ariel to catch up. Zeke sighs at her as he sees her face appear from over the edge of the box. He doesn't say anything, but simply watches her with a blank stare.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:32:42 AM
Smiling childishly down into the box, she asks:

“Room for another in there?” :D

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:43:17 AM
Zeke nods and Ariel finds herself tumbling in headfirst, pulled in onto her back by telekinesis.

"Not bad."

He frowns, eyes focusing out at some hidden memory, and the box scoots away around the corner.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:46:23 AM
Her head thudding against the side of the box, she lets out a squeal and then some delightful sounding curse as the box starts to move. With her body upside down she feels disorientated and embarrassed to boot, she squirms about a bit to try and rearrange – realising she can’t.

“How in blue Hoth are we moving?” she questions, looking at the upside down Zeke. o_O

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:50:21 AM
"Force," Zeke says simply. The box stops moving as Zeke considers her discomfort. "Sorry."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:52:22 AM
The box jolting to a halt causes her feet to flop down, effectively rolling her into a seated position. Now, now she regretted having worn a dress. ^_^;

“Oh. No biggie, just a little odd… do you have a remote control for it or something?”

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:01:26 PM
"I do it..."

Zeke looks at her, raising one brow and giving her an appraising stare, as if examining a stone for traces of gold or another precious metal.

"You can too, if you want..."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:07:26 PM
“I can?” :huh

If she could move a box about so easily, it would make her job a whole lot easier – that much was true.

“… How?”

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:08:55 PM
"I'll teach you," he says mechanically, training his eyes on the ceiling. "It's hard though. Lotsa obstacles."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:10:10 PM
“…… Do I have to have my 'lessons' inside of this box?” :mneh

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:15:47 PM
"No."

If Zeke were in his right mind, he would have made mention of a different set of lessons requiring the box...but it doesn't occur to him at this moment in time.

"Cargo hold is best."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:17:47 PM
“Well, you’ll need to teach me kinda quick, since I have to get back to the store before sunset… unless you plan on whisking me away on a free trip somewhere? All expenses paid?” :D

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:21:38 PM
"Not free."

Jhony won't let her ride free, even if Zeke is unconciously considering taking her as his fourth Padawan. Maybe later Zeke can get the GJO to pay the bill off. The ship shudders, and Zeke's box maneuvers to find a stable place.

"Two minutes to hyperspace."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:24:27 PM
“Two min-…wha?!”

The box slides across the room, once again tossing Ariel like a rag doll against one of the walls inside.

“We’ve taken off already? I can’t come with you! - I don’t have the money to pay to come!” :eek

Zeke
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:19:32 PM
Zeke simply shrugs as the box tips over, spilling them both onto the floor of the craft.

"Work it off."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:54:49 AM
Sprawling out onto the floor, she can tell she’s going to have gained a few bruises by the time this trip is over. With a groan and a still panicked look on her face, Ariel looks across at Zeke – the ship has taken off, some odd family has absconded her, and the melancholic son is going to teach her how to move boxes with the Force.

"Uncle Petr is gonna kill meeee…” :headache

Zeke
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:59:43 AM
"Jedi avoid killing," Zeke says in a mechanical, automatic response. His tone is quiet and strained, as if speaking past a difficult emotion. "Lives shouldn't be taken."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:04:03 AM
“I don’t mean literally, just… well… :\ he is going to be mad that I’ve upped and left without telling him.”

Sighing, she hugs her knees up against her body and for the first time has a proper look around the room – after all, it is going to be her residence for a while.

“… So where’re we going anyway?”

Zeke
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:40:02 AM
Zeke shrugs and sighs. His dad would know. Zeke gets back in his box without really moving much. Telekinetics mostly gets the job done. Dad knows. This thought drives Zeke's Force toward the bridge, dragging Ariel along on her rear behind him.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:42:30 AM
She would have squeaked in protest once more, but there didn’t seem much point – so she just let herself be pulled along by Zeke. |I

“I can walk, you know?”

… How was he pulling her along? o_O

Looking back over her shoulder, she blinks, still wondering why Zeke is so sad.

Zeke
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:48:18 AM
She stops suddenly, but Zeke carries on to the bridge. The sight of the box sliding in by itself is unsettling to the crew their, but Jhony and May simply sigh at him. How can he be this way?

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:52:31 AM
Getting to her feet, and dusting herself off, she frowns. Whatever is bugging Zeke it can’t be bad enough to make him act like a total dren! Frowning, she storms off after the box and grabs a hold of the edge of it, trying to pull it to a halt.

“What is your problem?” :mad

Zeke
Apr 9th, 2003, 11:07:38 AM
Zeke looks forlornly up at her with a sad ghost of his once eternally happy smile.

"My fault. She died."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:53:22 AM
“What?” o_O

Her first response, blurted out, soon felt like a mistake as a possibility of why Zeke was ‘down’ settled in her mind.

“… Frell … oh, Zeke I’m sorry.” :(

Zeke
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:00:57 PM
Zeke's feet disappear into the box as he curls into a ball.

"It's ok. I should have done better. I'll train you...go talk to Dad."

The flaps of his box shut themselves as he scoots aside, letting her into the bridge.

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:25:55 PM
Feeling decidedly guilty, Ariel shuffles off towards where Jhony can be spotted up ahead.

“Help me get my foot out of my mouth,” she muttered to no one in particular.

Jhony
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:11:10 PM
Jhony turns at the quiet shuffling of feet.

"Still here?"

He'd like to address the topic of her fare, but she seems...put off by something.

"What's wrong? Something with Zeke?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 11th, 2003, 07:41:20 AM
“I asked him what his problem was and he said it was his fault someone died or something.” :\

Jhony
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:25:38 AM
"Oh...I see...I see..."

Jhony smiles bitterly. He knows now what plagues his son; it's the same thing that plagued him for almost five years.

"He will learn eventually. You can help him, I expect. Did he say anything else?"

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:31:37 AM
“He said he would ‘train’ me,” Ariel said, her expression showing doubt in Zeke’s words.

Jhony
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:50:17 AM
Zeke doesn't have much in the way of useful skills, save for one thing.

"Congratulations, Padawan. I expect you'll start on that sometime soon. Maybe the GJO will pay your travelling fare if you're lucky. We'll have to see."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:58:19 PM
“The GJO? What is that anyway? Zeke mentioned it once or twice.”

Jhony
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:21:59 PM
"The Greater Jedi Order. You're going to be a Jedi Padawan, Miss Kendryck. It's not something many can do."

Ariel Kendryck
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:31:31 PM
Slouching down into one of the seats on the bridge, she lets out a long drawn out sigh and mutters something along the lines of:

“What have I gotten myself into…”

May Peris
Apr 11th, 2003, 02:45:39 PM
"You're a Jedi now, huh? I suppose you just smiled and nodded while he talked, didn't you? He suckered me into tons of stuff that same way."