PDA

View Full Version : One thing...

Dirjj Mordrai
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:45:59 PM
I am taking a big leave of absence...

If any would like to adopt the following characters, just PM me C/O Lann Kirauc. If not I may throw them out.

Dirjj Mordrai
HunterJodoKast
Gabran Darkysa

I am too loaded with too little time. Great fun RPing with ya all!

Alana Stormcloud
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:49:57 PM
Your leaving?? ack huggles him. Will miss rpen with ya :( I pmed you at the Dirjj name to btw wanders off sad....

Lann Kirauc
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:55:15 PM
Thanks Alana! I need some time off... :) No need to be sad. Time and heart are not being cooperative with me. Grrr...

DarthHERA
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:56:32 PM
Dont throw them out - you may be back

:)

James Prent
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:59:38 PM
Gabran!
:eek Where are you going? :(

Dakota Gue
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:01:23 AM
heart??

Lann Kirauc
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:04:29 AM
Definite consideration Hera, and I don't know LD! This thing just boo-up on me! *shakes his head*

Lann Kirauc
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:07:31 AM
Originally posted by Dakota Gue
heart??

It's gone! Maybe I just need some time off...

Dakota Gue
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:09:31 AM
Take a break - and then come back.

Now, theres a plan :)

Lann Kirauc
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:15:08 AM
Yeah :)

DarthHERA
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:16:59 AM
I just hate when things just "boo-up"

:D

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:34:41 AM
*hugs Gab*

We're going to miss all of you! :cry

(Psssst......can I keep your donkeys? :D)

;)

Dirjj Mordrai
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:55:53 PM
*hugs*

Well, we're all gonna miss all of you too!

lol @ donkeys

DarthHERA
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:57:45 PM
he has donkeys?

Dirjj Mordrai
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:00:28 PM
Sure, want one?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:00:47 PM
:lol yes, he does..... :crack

Dirjj Mordrai
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:03:59 PM
:lol :rollin :smokin

Alana Stormcloud
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:08:29 PM
I say we tie him up in Alana's chamber and not let him go hehehe:evil ..... What do you say girls :p lol

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:08:41 PM
*steals one* :angel

DarthHERA
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:18:49 PM
Well I dont know

need more information..

DarthHERA
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:21:02 PM
and btw Alana..I think that chamber of yours is getting pretty crowded aint it??

Alana Stormcloud
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:24:14 PM
hehe uh huh but always room for one more :p lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:25:40 PM
LOL @ Alana

The jig is up, Gab. HERA asked over IM what the thing with the donkeys was about. I sang like a canary :D

Dirjj Mordrai
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:30:10 PM
lol @ Alana

Just one more sardine in the tin, eh? hehehe j/j

Oh yeah, would Hera be interested in a whole herd of donkeys? ;)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:31:10 PM
:lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:34:26 PM
:cry

I asked first! Dont I get any?

Dirjj Mordrai
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:38:39 PM
Sure, you can first dibs Daiq cuz you were my first customer afterall. Have to keep the clientele satisfied. Satisfication guaranteed... ;)

DarthHERA
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:39:29 PM
:rolleyes

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:41:27 PM
:rolleyes :lol

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:45:04 PM
:crack

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 7th, 2003, 02:39:44 PM
Drijj/Gabran.etc I have one question before you leave! :cry

Have you ever read the Wild Cards books by GRRMartin? I saw them for the first time in the bookstore yesterday. They didn't have book one or I'd of snagged it (ended up with Prey, the new Michael Crichton), but I wondered if you'd heard of them.

Its a sci-fi series, written before The Song of Ice and Fire.

Azure Regalia
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:05:07 PM
You have to come back! We haven't had our RP together yet. :cry

But, if you need to take time off, that is totally understandable. Just don't give your characters up. You may be coming back... ya never know. :)

DarthHERA
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:28:14 PM
And LD reels him back in with a long discussion on G.R.R.Martin books.

Dirj aint going nowheres :lol

:thumbup LD

James Prent
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:26:27 PM
That wasn't my intention - I really DO want to know if he's read them.

*secretly high five's Hera :mischief*

Lann Kirauc
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:25:46 AM
I have not read any of the wildcard books but the series is upteenth in number now. The first several volumes are now being reprinted because of the popular emergence of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. GRRM serves as editor and am not sure if he writes any of the tales himself but the series is sorta a spinoff on super heroes and mutants but contains mature themes and graphic material. Also, GRRM's Fevre Dream, a vampire tale, is highly acclaimed too.

As you know, I worship GRRM, he is just too awesome. But I don't have a single volume of the wildcards in my possession as of now but do have Fevre Dream sitting on my readpile.

*still reading a Eiji Yoshikawa book that is nearly a thousand pages long, heh, great stuff*

Edit: The Wildcard series is still ongoing BTW! :)

Lann Kirauc
Apr 8th, 2003, 01:46:59 AM
Originally posted by Azure Regalia
You have to come back! We haven't had our RP together yet. :cry

But, if you need to take time off, that is totally understandable. Just don't give your characters up. You may be coming back... ya never know. :)

I definitely want to do this RP together, Azure. That would be great fun. I guess I just need some time off is all. How long I don't know yet. But thanks for the thoughts! :) :)

Lann Kirauc
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:05:36 PM
A second GRRM article is going to be published in the may issue of Dragon Magazine concerning his original ASOIAF series that masterfully blends the gritty realities of medievel times and fantasy.

:)

Gurney Devries
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:10:57 PM
I just picked up a Game of Thrones yesterday... going to read it sometime next week. The premise and writing don't seem very interesting to me, but everyone keeps raving about GRRM, so I thought I'd check it out. Hopefully, he won't turn out to be another Robert Jordan. :\

Lann Kirauc
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:16:10 PM
Woohoo! You are in for a thrill ride Gurney! George R R Martin truly stands alone in the genre!

Gurney Devries
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:21:12 PM
My favorite fantasy/sci-fi author, bar none, is C.S. Friedman. "This Alien Shore" was a really engaging and original novel, and her Coldfire Trilogy (Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, Crown of Shadows) is really top-notch.

Honestly, though, I'm getting kind of tired of fantasy. I'm looking for some original sci-fi and/or fiction novels.

Lann Kirauc
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:38:40 PM
Yeah, Gerald Tarrant was a great villian. However, the world and it's magic was quite different if not weird. But some of her prose felt exhausted and unoriginal.

I know what you mean about dry fantasy with it's ever recyclable cliches. Over at the A Song of Ice and Fire board they have a forum called 'Other Authors' in which members get into deep discussions. Dissecting and analyzing. However, Jordan and Goodkind are not popular there. Eddings is hated too. The three get bashed frequently.

IMHO, GRRM is refreshing and original. My favorite author.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:48:47 PM
Ahh, the wildcard series. Take my advice tho, read up to Number 8, which features David Bowman. Up to then, is good. My favorite is about the Puppet Master, but really, after No 8, there is some unmitigated CRAP. I gave up after No 13.

Lann Kirauc
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:54:53 PM
Yeah, I am gonna get around to those some day... I remember when those books were introduced, I purchased the first couple but never got around to reading them (unfortunately). Then, they just disappeared from my possession after a few moves.

Gurney Devries
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:27:54 AM
I like Friedman's writing because she doesn't stop to explain every little thing to the reader. Often, she will simply refer to something and leave it to the reader to gather what it is/what it does by how characters interact with it.

Example: The Fae. There was never a point where she stopped and went "And the Fae is this and this and does this". You just got an idea of what it was as you went along.

I hate Jordan. He's boring as sin.

I liked Wizard's First Rule and Stone of Tears. He kind of ran out of ideas after that. Goodkind tends to focus more on characterization than story, which is an interesting enough take on the genre. His obsession with spelling everything out though, gets quite annoying - it's the opposite of Friedman.

I don't know why, but I will always have a soft spot for Michael Moorcock. To be honest, he's not a terribly good author and his stories are generally pretty straightforward, but I love them.

Lann Kirauc
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:58:12 AM
Yeah, I would catagorize Moorcock along the lines of Robert Howard, Fritz Lieber, Glen Cook, David Gemmell, Eddings, and some of the fantasy serial writers such as Salvatore. Dark Elf, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, etc. Baser-quality material.

Lann Kirauc
Apr 17th, 2003, 07:02:12 PM
ASOIAF has alot great quotes some of which are too coarse to share with the board of course. These are books you should never read to your young children fer sure.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's a afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

-A Game of Thrones

-------------------------------------

DarthHERA
Apr 18th, 2003, 02:47:51 AM
Definitely, Lann - towards the end of the last book of that series it was like every chapter was...er...adult.

Lann Kirauc
Apr 18th, 2003, 03:12:18 AM
Since reading Martin, my tastes have become more critical and much less impressionable. It's hilarious over at his board, in the 'other author' forum, people are ever searching for more of that quality in fantasy. He raised the bar in fantasy. J.V. Jones did a hell of job in her book 'A Cavern of Black Ice' but still falls far short of GRRM. Her other stuff is very typical especially the Baker's Boy/Barbed Coil trilogy which strongly resembles Edding's Belegariad.

Here is that link:

http://pub26.ezboard.com/fasoiaffrm7

ps any new GRRM readers please avoid the other forums at all costs lest you be spoiled.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:00:38 PM
Ah HA !

I lost this thread sometime directly after my last post here.

I just read... The Redemption of Athalus, by David and Leigh Eddings, and it was really good. I loved the wit behind the characters banter. I also read Prey, by Michael Crichton, which is a great sci-fi book. I couldn't put it down....I read it in two days.

Another of Crichton's books which is an amazing blend of fantasy and science fiction is Timeline, which is apparently being made into a movie. I highly HIGHLY reccommend it, esp. if you like medieval type things, and the theoretical use of quantum mechanics.

And I have yet to actually go out and look for any of those Dragon magazines...I'm so lazy. :cry

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 18th, 2003, 12:01:13 PM
Originally posted by DarthHERA
Definitely, Lann - towards the end of the last book of that series it was like every chapter was...er...adult.

Yeah the last book was highly provocative. :o