PDA

View Full Version : *Here enter RANT tag*

Lady Vader
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:50:42 PM
For those of you that haven't heard me complaining, I'm about to fill you in...

Three weeks ago I finally aquired a job after something like a 6-month dry spell of looking for work.

Well, that particular assignment lasted for 3 weeks. I was basically sitting in for a secretary that was absent. And while there was lots of work and it was a constant go-go-go, I was as happy as a clam. I like being busy... especially busy with lots of different things to do. It keeps my mind active. The weeks just flew!

Anyhoo, last Friday was the end of that secretarial assignment (:cry), and I started a new one this Monday being told that it would intail about the same amount of work I had been doing at my previous job.

WRONG.

I went from busy secretary, always smiling, to file monkey with dead pan look on my face.

Needless to say, this job SUCKS. I have no desk... I have no phone... I have no computer. Yesterday I was close to going stir-crazy and stabbing myself in the foot with a ruler... then I realized it wasn't like war where you could shoot yourself in the foot and be sent home.

Gawd! And it's only THURSDAY! I swear... this has been the LONGEST week I have ever expereinced.

I'm starting to feel my metabolism slowing... my brain is shutting down... I think my IQ just dropped.

Dear lord, I'm gonna be mummified before my time! O_o

Well, THANKFULLY, I was given another task today that required some computer work *hugs the delapidated machine*
But it's still doing monotonous file checking on their system.

And another thing... isn't it supposed to be a crime against humanity to stick someone on a computer at work that's running Win95? I mean, what if my comp locks up while I'm doing this file-checking crap??

I tell ya... I'm living a nightmare. And even though the pay is decent (and the same as my previous job), I'd still rather be at home earning nothing than bored to death earning something. Thanks, but I like my sanity intact.

Ugh... here's hoping and PRAYING that I find something else quick, before my whole will for living dies out. :x

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:04:30 PM
*HUGS*

I know the feeling. I'm thinking about becoming a flight attendant. :D

Lady Vader
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:06:58 PM
Ya know... I just realized how ironic this is...

Not more than a couple of months ago, I was complaining I didn't have a job and that I'd go off on anyone that complained about their job, basically saying they should be happy they even HAD a job.

Well... guess I'd better go off on myself then. :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:08:20 PM
Just goes to show that we don't know the feeling until we've been there.

Now you see how wrong you were to go off on people who complain about their jobs. ;)

Droo
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:10:33 PM
I know how you feel. You have my sympathies. Hold your head up.

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:10:54 PM
Awwww, Im sure things will improve :)

Lady Vader
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:22:32 PM
Well, there is something to hope for...

The job I was at before, the secretarial job... well, the secretary that I was subbing for is actually looking for another position. A second secretary that works there said that the job was too stressful for the secretary I was subbing for (hell, I dunno what she was talking about... I was having FUN).

In any event, if she finds another job (which she has been applying for as I saw in her e-mail... I had access to it while she was gone), that means I'm next in line. The department was impressed with my mad-secretarial skills, so they said they'd call me back if ever they needed another secretary.

And chances are, that'd be a PERMANENT job as opposed to this temp-crapola stuff.

*Prays the secretary finds another position... leaving ME to move in.*

:)

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:31:53 PM
if she finds another job (which she has been applying for as I saw in her e-mail... I had access to it while she was gone)
Admit it LV, you sent those e-mails ;)

Morgan Evanar
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:32:19 PM
I know the feeling. I'm thinking about becoming a flight attendant

-bursts bubble- the airline industry is in the tank right now =[

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:34:47 PM
I'd agree with Morg. You wouldnt have any job stability :\

Leeloo Mina
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:15:21 PM
a flight attendant? Hm..

maybe in a few years when they airlines get out of debt, I'll look into that...

I've got a cousin who's an airline pilot and his wife's a flight attendant.. at least last I knew :uhoh

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:18:58 PM
Boo freakin hoo. I worked on Compaqs with Win 95, when I was at Birmingham HemOnc. And worse still, it was a tech support liason job...dealing with medical people, who know as much about technology as cavemen. No big deal.

Kelt Simoson
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:53:20 PM
Well im an acting supervisor in the games department in a very large HMV (music shop) store so im happy as a sand boy :)

Im 6'2, im to tall for a damn flight attendant...lol

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:57:14 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
-bursts bubble- the airline industry is in the tank right now =[

Inbetween the war and SARS, plus many years of debt that has come home to roost, there will be many more airlines going bust. The industry was long overdue for a big shakeup.

Budget airlines however, are doing okay. It's the big ones with loads of overheads goign to the wall.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:07:20 PM
Budget airlines however, are doing okay. It's the big ones with loads of overheads goign to the wall.

Thats true. Most budget airlines are doing alright, but they could be doing a lot better. They were gaining ground anyway, and this has slowed even them down. The only airlines who are really doing ok are the cargo folk, and with the economic slowddown in the States, even they are a bit lackluster.

James Prent
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:10:57 PM
I was thinking Southwest Airlines, which seems to be fairly stable. :)

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:17:39 PM
But do you want all the movement?

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:25:27 PM
Southwest is a railroad car on wings tho

AmazonBabe
Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:23:14 PM
BTW, not to butt into your lovely convo, but could someone explain to me what an Intel 80 or 86/Pentium Based computer is?

I checked on the specs of the comp I'm using at work (pathetic), and it said:

Intel 80 or 86/Pentium Based
32 RAM

I understand the 32 RAM part (no wonder the thing can barely do two tasks at a time), but what Pentium is it... if any?

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:52:11 AM
That would likely be a P1. If there's no numeric designation, its uno. Considering the amount of RAM inside, that seems right.

Oriadin
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:02:47 AM
Bloody hell!

Do you have to top the coal up on that thing every day?

AmazonBabe
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:13:20 PM
Top the... coal?

Either that wasn't english, or I'm not reading it correctly... O_o

Well, I did some more specs-checking today on the dinosaur. It has two HD, each being 2 GB (C drive is nearly full with about 200 MB left, with D drive practically being empty... I'm saving my stuff on D drive).

In either case, this comp should have been recycled YEARS ago, but the secretary ain't too keen on how the whole "when comps get old, they need to be refreshed"... or in layman's terms, chucked out for a new one. Everytime the who's-its guys (i'm assuming CSC or something) came by to pick it up, she'd always tell them tojust leave it.

Prob is, the thing is so old now, they may not even take it back to be traded in for a new one.

But I heard somewhere through the grapevine that they may be getting me a new comp. Here's hoping. It's really quite amazing how fast the day seems to zip by when you have a comp to entertain you... even if it is mondane work.

(On a side note... I found the games >D... and AIM. Yes, this comp actually had AIM on it. It's a helluva old version though... 1.42 or something like that. Now i just have to figure out how to get past the proxy in order to get it to run. :x)

ReaperFett
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:20:04 PM
Top the... coal?

Either that wasn't english, or I'm not reading it correctly...

He's saying it's old. Think modern and old trains :)

FireKat
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:23:51 PM
Topping the coal refers to machinery that is/was powered by coal. You'd put new coal into the boiler, to feed the fire.

As for CSC picking up hardware, I'm not aware of them doing such a thing. Birmingham HemOnc contracted them for consultant work, and they only serviced their in-house software, not anything else. For the rest of that crap, I was the go-to guy. Maybe they have a liason employee that works with the non-contracted hardware and software?

Lady Vader
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:57:06 PM
Do you have to top the coal up on that thing every day?

Ah,I get it now. :lol And, yes, it DOES seem like that.

I actually deleted the temporary internet file today (that thing was FULL). It's helped the comp a bit... a bit.

Maybe they have a liason employee that works with the non-contracted hardware and software?

It's possible. I forgot what it was our IT guy said picked up the comps for recycling.

In either case, hopefully it'll get replaced soon. It's due for a retirement, I think.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:01:50 PM
Make a folder on the D drive and set temp internet files for about 60 megs. It will be much happier.

Lady Vader
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:18:42 PM
And how would I go about setting up such a folder so that the files would go there rather than in the C drive?

Morgan Evanar
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:40:15 PM
Its in IE settings. Tools - > net options -> Temp net files -> move folder. Also size setting is there too.

Lady Vader
Apr 4th, 2003, 06:14:42 PM
Ok, did all that. Thankee for the help. :)

Now... to get AIM to run (if it's even possible).