PDA

View Full Version : One Small Problem (Council)

Logic
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:51:11 PM
The droid guardian Logic approaches the council chamber that it saw several times before, hidden deep within the recesses of Reason's AI. Just like Reason, it travels here for business concerning Lillian, though it's intentions are quite different from the hulking sentinel droid that had shadowed the frail girl.

The first difference is that Logic comes alone. The second is that it has no intention of guarding Lillian from a group that she needs no protection from. The third difference is that Logic seeks advice.

It steps into the room, bows respectfully, and speaks.

I realize I am a droid, and not a Jedi. However, I have a problem concerning one of your number, and I would appreciate any input you, the council, has to offer.

AmazonBabe
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:32:33 PM
Of course.

:: AB looked at the droid. ::

What can we help you with?

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:46:09 PM
Logic had Navaria's full attention.

"Yes, and who is this concerning?"

Logic
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:40:15 PM
My business concerns the Padawan girl Lillian Snow. She came to learn not only your order's methods, but also to learn self-confidence and strength. It is quite clear to anyone who sees her that she is the opposite of these things. This is hardly the fault of any Jedi here; events have conspired since her recruitment to bring these changes upon her.

Logic stops, organizing itself before continuing.

If she is to ever to ascend in your ranks, much less rid herself of the disease that plagues her, she must overcome the fears and weaknesses implanted in her. I had a plan to solve this until her recent capture. That plan is now obsolete, and so I have come to ask your opinions. All you are much more capable of helping her than I.

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:00:52 AM
This was one of the most bizarre things I had witnessed. Not the request, it was understandable, but coming from a droid of all things?

"Explain your relationship with Padawan Snow and why you are concerned first if you can. I find this to be quite strange programming for a droid"

Logic
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:53:35 PM
I am her guardian. I am concerned because she is unable to function in society.

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:47:54 AM
"I see. Explain your plan before this capture occured"

Logic
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:18:01 AM
Much of my plan hinged on her interaction with other Jedi, especially the Knights and Masters, who have faced adversity many times in the past, and could help her to deal with her own fears and worries. As far as her problems with self-reliance are concerned, I planned to help her a bit more directly by behaving as Reason's opposite.

At even the slightest sign of danger, the sentinel would attack blindly, and was adamant in keeping her from any harm. Lillian has come to rely too much on such protection, so I have been neglecting to follow her in her shadow, so that she must always be aware of herself, and be prepared for anything, rather than sit back and let her droid guardian do it for her.

That's not to say I haven't been doing my job; I track Lillian at all times without her knowledge. If she should fail to resolve a situation herself, or get into such trouble that it is impossible for her to resolve it, that is when I would step in to save her.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:20:10 AM
“Perhaps this then is why she is failing to grow in confidence,” Dasquian interjected.

“If she is aware that at the slightest hint of danger she will have a guardian to protect her, she has no need to develop her own abilities and grow in strength.”

Logic
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:39:16 AM
Yes, that is the problem entirely. That is how things were with Reason. I am trying to rectify this by doing a less than adequate job, but I cannot totally neglect her. It defeats my purpose if she dies in a confrontation with a gang or Sith.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:00:14 PM
"Well, that is why she is here, is it not? To gain the skills of a Jedi. Therefore it is up to all of us to let her realize that she has this potential within herself to live as she pleases."

After thinking for a moment, I turned to Logic and continued.

"Recently, Lillian came into my room at night, nearly on the verge of panic from a nightmare that has been haunting her since her terrible incident, which I am sure you are all aware of. I comforted her as best I could, but I still felt that she hated living alone. I propose to you, as well as the council, that she could come and stay with me until she is comfortable by herself. You, or I, or any of us cannot force her to be at a independence level that she is not ready for. It could be detrimental."

Logic
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:18:56 PM
Ah. Aha.

Logic hasn't considered that she must gradually shift into her independence. As a droid, it tended to think in terms that apply to them. It's analogy of reprogramming has been the wrong one to use.

Very well then, I will allow her to live with you. Would you rather find out the obstacles that she must overcome, or shall I summarize them for you?

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:54:25 PM
I considered his question seriously, thinking about what would be the best for Lillian. Finally, I spoke.

"I believe that, for her own safety, I would like for all of us to know about the obstacles you mentioned. Whether I notify her is a different story. It might be better for her not to know."

Logic
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:39:48 PM
Her illness has always been a source of discouragement for her. Symptoms of it are extreme fever and violent coughing. In extreme duress, she coughs blood. It weakens her considerably. At times, she is unable to even walk because of it. Guide her in the healing arts of the Force.

Also, she cannot defend herself. When under attack she tends to break down and curl into a ball and scream for help. Almost all of her attackers recently have been men...one in particular, who she simply refers to as "him" or "he", has taken his torment of her to such an extreme that she fears all men. These are the main problems I have noted. There may be more, but I cannot be sure.

Figrin D'an
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:35:26 PM
Figrin had remained contemplative listener for most of the discussion. There were others on the council that were far more skilled in Living Force arts than he, and would be far better suited to aiding in healing and psychological counciling. However, it was also clear that Lillian, the young woman in question, would need help in other areas as well.

"I agree... living with another Jedi, particularly a skilled Jedi such as Ryla, will help Lillian tremendously. One must know how a Jedi is to live before one can undertake it oneself."

He sighed, concernedly, before continuing.

"It's clear to me, however, that she lacking in the combat arts. The only way she will gain the confidence to survive on her own will be to learn how to defend herself. Even if she is a pacifist by nature, I would advise that she receive additional training in basic lightsabre technique. I can assist in that regard."

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:31:26 AM
"My apologies for speaking out of order Master Figrin, but I disagree. Learning how to defend oneself may not necessary for this situation - we dont even know if it would be properly appropriate. For first, you have not asked where these problems came from. Finding the cause will lead us to a proper and permanent cure"

That to my mind was true. Find the cause of the fear to root it out. How times had changed indeed - there woud have been a time I would have agreed with the Jedi Master. Maybe some of this Jedi wisdom was rubbing off onto me.

"I would agree Ryla's suggestion is correct as a good start - for I believe that giving love and comfort will be a help that no training could ever be. I would ask you droid, how did Lillian come to be like this? Where are her parents and family?"

I learned forward to listen to the answer.

Logic
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:19:49 PM
Her parents?

Logic knows this information because Reason knew it, and Reason's memory has been copied into it's own. Lillian's parents are weapons dealers. Her father is the man who created the failed sentinel prototype Reason. But try as it might, it cannot speak this fact aloud. They wanted Reason's origin to be kept secret, and thus they programmed Reason to dodge any questions that may illicit an answer concerning them. Logic does so now.

I do not know. However, I believe that Master Figrin's suggestion of combat training may yet have benefits for Lillian. Even if she should find herself unable to utilize her training in a confrontation with a Sith or a spar with other Padawans, the physical activity will help to stay the illness that plagues her, and force her to find ways to overcome her physical weakness.

Figrin D'an
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:58:04 PM
"A prudent stance, Master Evenstar. Yet the fact remains that she has been attacked before, and she has been unable to attempt any defense, much less succeed at it. If she wishes to function as a Jedi, she must learn to confront her fears in many varied manners."

He paused, now directing his comments were at all those assembled, making his opinion clear.

"Lillian's ailments, given time with skilled healer such as Ryla, may be countered enough to permit her more physical freedom. That will improve her confidence in itself. Love and comfort will help, indeed. But it should not be the end of solution... mearly a beginning. As she has experienced well first-hand, the galaxy is a dangerous place for the ill-prepared, and we cannot shelter her forever. Neither can her droid guardians. She must learn an amount of self-sufficiency."

His gaze shifted to the droid, Logic.

"This effort, no matter how implemented, will take time. Lillian trusts both you and your fellow droid, Reason. You must encourage her to place that same trust in herself and her fellow Jedi if this is to succeed. You seem willing to do this. What about Reason?"

Logic
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:19:23 PM
Reason was shut down in a mercifully quiet and obscure battle, after which I was activated. I copied it's memory and then returned it's frame to it's point of origin.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:07:54 PM
"I believe that the most useful stance will to give Lillian both the tools as well as the confidence to use them. Your assistance, master Figrin, will be most appreciated in that matter."

I turned back to Logic, thinking how Lillian's loss of her family was so like my own... and I hoped that she too would gain the confidence I had slowly earned thoughout my years as a Jedi.

"As for the family issue, it seems that we will all have to be her family. In cases like these, however rare they may be, all of us will have to be her protectors and teachers, for I am sure that there are things such as self confidence and the feel of eternal support that she has not yet aquired. Skills of defence are useful, yes, but not without the confidence to use them."

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:24:39 AM
"What confidence however, would we have we can help if we are not knowing what her past is? Skills of defence are useless if we have not addressed the cause of her fear and her problems. I wish to know this, so I can suggest actions that will help. In my opinion, training is dodging the issue. I could train her to be one of the great weapons masters, but what good will that do inside her?"

I paused.

"No, I retract that. I could not do that, not without her source of her fears and problems solved. A calm mind is what is needed, one with peace. All Jedi training depends on this, or so it is told. I would thence wish to know why she has come to her situation first, for I very much doubt she can achieve the correct mental control and calm without this issue faced. If she can not have her past broken off, it will affect her future"

There was another thought in my mind. I had seen not long ago a being face armed assailants unarmed and with deliberate words and logic, got their opponents to disarm. This had struck a chord in me - a new way. It was something I wished to think more on. Such a person that would have the courage to speak like that... that was astonishing. That type of self belief and conviction was powerful.

Logic
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:11:42 AM
Do you mean how she came to be so afraid and inconfident in herself? If so, the answer is a simple one. Her illness makes her weak, and so she is inconfident in herself because of it. People use this inconfidence to their advantage and plague her with torment, be it something so small as an insult or as severe as the torture she suffered by "him". Through this she has come to fear anyone and anything that may seek to cause her harm, and clings to others for protection. All of this is unnecessary; she is better than this behavior.

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:15:17 AM
"Torture by "him"? Who's this being you refer to and what did he do to her?"

Logic
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:06:55 AM
I don't know.

Logic shrugs, its chest heaving as if sighing.

Lillian won't mention a name, or can't mention a name. All she will say is that "he" stripped her, cut her, beat her, and violated her. In her nightmares she sometimes speaks of monsters...I questioned her once after such a dream, and she said that they are responsible for her capture and return to the Order.

The droid shrugs again.

She has no way of knowing where this man is or who he is. I imagine it would be quite frustrating to any attempting to take vengeance or justice to him.

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:50:57 AM
Urk. That was worse than I was expecting. No wonder the Padawan was a mess.

"Is it possible I might meet this Lillian one day soon? "

Logic
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:14:42 AM
Lillian rarely leaves her quarters, but when she does, she can be found in the gardens, walking alone or practicing her Force Healing or Telekinesis. If any of you would like to meet with her alone, I would recommend you look in those places first. Of course, if you would rather meet her now, I can summon her.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 10th, 2003, 11:00:43 PM
"You are right, Logic. She is better than this, but we must help her along the path until she knows this of herself."

Bringing Lillian before the council could be a very intense time for her... She was a fragile child, more of a young woman but still thinking like a kicked puppy. Although I had learned of Lillian and her maser's capture from Dasquian, I was not sure if the other council members knew, or knew the full extent of the humilitations she had endured.

"Perhaps it may be good for all of us to be on the same page, Logic. I think it would be good to bring her before us, but I am not sure that now is the right time for that. What do you think, fellow Jedi? Who else knows of Lillian's capture? The more we all know now, the less we will have to find out."

James Prent
Apr 11th, 2003, 01:31:45 AM
James walked by the council room doors, and nodded to the guards standing there. She had been trailing the droid Logic, and it had entered here. A droid, given access to the Council? It was bizarre.

However, she knew of the <a href=http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24372> reason</a> why the droid was there. James took a seat down the hallway from the council rooms, waiting to see if the droid was going to be thrown out.

Logic
Apr 11th, 2003, 08:39:12 AM
The Temple halls outside are quiet, and Logic hears James from quite a distance off. It turns to the open doors while the council organizes itself, seeing James, but not sure if she knew it had seen her. Logic recognizes her immediately; she is Lillian's fellow padawan.

Excuse me, council. I will be back shortly.

Logic bows and steps into the hallway, approaching James with an extended hand.

I am Logic, Lillian's guardian. You are her training partner, are you not? It occurred to me to ask if you knew anything of the girl's mysterious capture.

James Prent
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:26:13 PM
She looked up, startled at the droids sudden appearance. "Er...well yeah I do. I mean I was almost squished by her when that thing threw her back into the window."

James stood to her feet, and shrugged, "But Dasquian..I mean, Council member Belargic could tell you as much. I went with him to rescuse my master, Salemn Lysce from a similar fate." She screwed up her face and cocked her head to the side. "You mean you don't know what happened to her? Some guard droid you are!"

Logic
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:19:22 AM
If Logic were human, it might feel ashamed. However as a mechanical entity, Logic cannot feel emotion. That does not mean it cannot mimic the scorn in James' voice.

And Salemn, as her master, should have prevented this from ever happening to her. Some mentor she is, huh?

Logic turns and walks back to the council chamber.

Come. I feel that your input would be quite useful, Ms. Prent.

James Prent
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:38:44 PM
James made a face behind the droid, but it was armed with some very impressive weaponry, so she meekly followed behind it. Logic was about the same height as her, but thicker and heavier, and probably was faster and better coordinated.

She hesitated at the doorway, folding her hands into the long sleeves of her padawan robes, and then stepped into the Council room for the first time. James felt distinctly uncomfortable and out of place, but she saw Dasquian sitting in the circle of the Council, which was reassuring.

The synflesh on her arms was itching, but such was the price to pay for the extensive injuries her epidermis had endured. It had been two weeks since they'd brought Salemn back from the lair of the mad scientist, and there was only a thin pink scar on her hairline, and the synflesh to indicate what James had been through.

She shuffled her feet, and looked ill at ease among such important people.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:49:19 PM
As Logic lead James into the Council Room, Dasquian smiled slightly. It was one of those reassuring looks he had coined over time, that was aimed at setting peoples nerves at ease – and after their caper in the mad professors compound, the Jedi Knight imagined that James would still have a few open wounds, both physical and in her confidence.

Relax.

For the moment, he remained quiet.

Anbira Hicchoru
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:18:37 PM
Anbira arched an eyebrow at James. This meeting had been quite bizarre. A droid guardian for a padawan learner?

"Do you have anything to add to this discussion, Padawan?"

James Prent
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:21:28 PM
Relax. James managed a tiny smile for Dasquian, to show that she was relaxed, and then the voice of the whitehaired Hicchoru startled her. She jerked to attention, and quavered, "O-only that I was present when Padawan Snow was returned to the order, and that I met her attacker."

Logic
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:27:37 PM
So you came face to face with this mysterious "him". What can you tell us about him? Anything will do. Physical appearance, mannerisms...

James Prent
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:49:16 PM
James stared at the droid, an incredulous look on her face. "Is it my imagination or is a droid questioning me?"

Logic
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:12:20 PM
Logic's answer is so immediate that it could be considered rude...if droids could be rude, that is.

Yes, I am questioning you. Now answer the questions asked.

James Prent
Apr 15th, 2003, 10:08:11 PM
"I refuse to answer to a droid. I'm a sentient being." She looked at Dasquian, her eyes pleading for him to say something. Anything!

It seemed wrong to be in front of the Council and yet answering to a mere droid.

Helenias Evenstar
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:27:56 PM
"If you really have such a problem with a droid questioning you however, you can answer me. So you came face to face with this mysterious "him". What can you tell us about him? Anything will do. Physical appearance, mannerisms, anything that can help"

James Prent
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:25:58 AM
She rubbed her forehead lightly, and breathed out slowly. "Well, he was taller than me, but I didn't see him very close up. I couldn't say how tall he was. Wild yellow hair, annoying voice, and a penchant for genetic manipulation from what we saw of his labs.

"From what the med wards told me when I asked about Lillian, she was extensively tortured by him, mutilated even, and then sexually assaulted." James shuddered, and itched at the synflesh on her arms again. "I know where his lab was, but it might not be there anymore."

Logic
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:16:54 AM
Someone ask her where the laboratory is.

If James won't answer Logic directly, it will get the answers it needs indirectly.

James Prent
Apr 18th, 2003, 01:15:33 AM
She sighed elaborately, and answered, not looking at the droid, "It's in the next sector over, almost underneath us it's so close. I could take someone there, but I'mnot sure about actually giving directions."

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 18th, 2003, 03:19:37 AM
"I remember the way," Dasquian interjected.

"All we'd need to do to find is to follow the chaos ... our journey to the labratory was hardly a calm one, and one of the professors creators left great gaping holes in a lot of walls, literally leading us after it."

Logic
Apr 18th, 2003, 01:00:30 PM
If you could input the directions into a datapad, I will go myself and see it while you sentient beings use your wits to help Lillian. I, as a droid, am not the type for such an undertaking.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:39:18 AM
“I could gave you the first few places we went to, but after that you’d just have to follow the damage left by the beast… we were moving far too quickly for me to remember the exact path.”

Logic
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:07:10 AM
That will suffice.

James Prent
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:09:26 PM
James shuddered a little at the thought of going back into that...lair, but surely she wouldn't be made to? She shuffled her feet a little, and waited for the Council to continue talking.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2003, 03:09:15 AM
Dasquian rose up from his seat and approached the droid, side glancing at James as he did so. Logic handed him a small pad, and with a quick push of a few buttons he set in the path they had taken out of the LQ to follow the creatures.

“There.”

Logic
Apr 29th, 2003, 08:26:11 AM
Thank you for your cooperation, Master Belargic. Now that our "him" tangent has come to a close, we will return to the subject of Lillian herself. I believe we were filling in on her background...why she behaves as she does, the causes of her unnatural fears, and the extent of her training. Are we at a point where a decision can be made as to how to help her?

Helenias Evenstar
May 2nd, 2003, 06:11:26 AM
"I believe so" I said. "We will do as each one has said. I for one would wish to meet this Lillian for myself. Can it be arranged?"

Logic
May 2nd, 2003, 04:59:48 PM
Most certainly. I can ask her to meet you somewhere, or you can simply go on your own time and find her in her room. She will be more than happy to talk with you, Miss Evenstar, I assure you.