PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:13:53 PM
I just picked it up on DVD, the DVD quality is quite good and they have a lot of good additional features. Deleted Scenes, comentary and a cool FBI file on Lectar that gives you a lot of information (based on the books) of his life. If you liked the movie I recommend picking this DVD up.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:11:03 PM
I may pick it up once I see it in the previously viewed bin. I did enjoy it, so I may buy.

sirdizzy
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:33:33 PM
i think i got it coming from columbia house, that or i don'tknow what that charge on my credit card is

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:45:28 PM
I thought it was a lot better than Hannible, it is not as good as Silence of the Lambs but that would be impossible, IMO. It is also a very good adaptation of the book.

Shawn
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:48:47 PM
My opinion of the movies goes

Hannibal > Red Dragon > Silence of the Lambs

I really liked the review of Hannibal on AICN because I thought that it nailed a lot of key points.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:20:04 AM
I am the opposite I like Silence of the Lambs-Red Dragon-Hannible. I still like Hannible it is a lot better than the book mainly because of the ending the ending of which the RD DVD confirms the Hannible case file basically says that Clairce goes off with Hannible in the end that really doesn't jive with her character, IMO. The movie at least makes it look like she tries to catch him

Shawn
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:34:23 AM
Like I said before: SotL felt like a mediocre crime thriller with a really amazing supporting character. I didn't care about Buffalo Bill at all - He just seemed like an incredibly silly, over-the-top serial killer. I liked Red Dragon better because the Tooth Fairy seemed like a more believable character, to me. Plus, the I think RD was directed better.

Then there's Hannibal, which I feel is a completely different movie from the other two. It's very slow paced and rich in the Italian atmosphere. Plus, it took the best part of SotL - the interaction between Clarice and Hannibal - and really played that up. It's actually a tragic sort of movie: Hannibal obviously loves her, but you know that the two of them can never be together.

I guess most people were just expecting it basically be a rehash of SotL when they walked into the theater and they got something else entirely.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:53:35 AM
They cut out some of Buffalo Bill stuff from the book I kind of wish they kept it in.

Lann Kirauc
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:57:16 AM
I am going to pick this movie up on friday. I love SotL and Red Dragon, but felt Hannibal kinda went over the top and much realism was lost on it. Basically it was too much for me. But the profiles on Buffalo Bill and the Toothfairy were graphically portrayed and all too frighteningly real.

Just look at the real monsters, Manson, Bundy, Dahmer, Ed Gein, David Berkowitz, and John Wayne Gacy. And this list is just the tip of a glacier. Thomas Harris' well researched novels are very impressive.

Droo
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:05:53 AM
I didn't know "Red Dragon" was already available. I'll probably get that this afternoon then to finish my Lecter DVD trilogy. :)