PDA

View Full Version : War Stories and Cigar Smoke (open)

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:17:44 AM
Lion felt a slight "thump" beneath him as the New Republic shuttle touched down. The wings folded up and a hatch in the back folded down. 30 men from the MC-90 Shadowstalker, mostly officers, began unbuckling their seatbelts and stretching. The flight down from orbit was unnecessarily long, and the storm brewing in the upper atmosphere had complicated procedures somewhat. Even as Lion and his companions stepped off of the shuttle, the first drops of rain appeared, and Lion knew this was gonna be a long one. A fork of lightning flashed across the sky, followed seconds later by a clap of thunder.

Lion's servant droid, an M-8LT series droid Lion called Elite, hurried alongside him, holding up an umbrella. The rain seemed to please nobody, besides perhaps his Mon Calamari captain, but the group didn't dash for the entrance to the bar and grill.

When they finally arrived at the twin transparisteel doors to the bar, Lion turned to his droid.

"Elite, power down and wait for us outside, please."

The droid nodded and shuffled over to the corner underneath an awning and shut down amongst the rows and rows of protocol and astromech droids outside. Lion didn't really like the droid, preferring to use his own, but his R-series was being given an oil bath at the moment, and his C-series was being used to redecorate his stateroom.

Without further ado, Lion and his group stepped inside through the sliding transparisteel doors. It was warm and cozy inside, and raucous laughter greeted them as he stepped over to his usual seat at the bar. Two from Lion's entourage took their seats next to Lion, and the others clustered onto a table near the bar.

The Mon Calamarian next to Lion, Captain Selayar, looked decidedly uncomfortable in civilian clothes, as did Colonel Tellard. Wing Commander Tie and Wing Commander Mironia, in contrast, appeared much happier out of their stiff uniforms. Colonel Akima, being a covert agent, rarely wore her uniform anyways, so she didn't seem to mind.

"Admiral..." Captain Selayar started. "Wouldn't it have been better if we just went to the bar aboard Shadowstalker?"

Lion grinned, as did Tie.

"Selayar, you can't get into trouble in that bar...there's so many guards there that you could occupy Ukio..."

Lion looked at the faces staring at him.

"Okay, fine, bad example, but you get the picture...it's much more fun to come here...besides, I know the bartender here, and most of the Jedi Masters that frequent this place..."

Tie sat up and smiled again, then said:

"Besides, look at the size of those bouncers..."

Lion nodded.

"Yup, that'd be Lochabre and The Shambler."

Lion flagged the bartender down, and everybody ordered drinks. Lion got a corellian twist, not something he usually ordered, but he needed to get the taste of Chandrillan food off of his tongue. Tie and Mironia both ordered Corellian Ale, and Tellard ordered something called a "Grey Ghost"...from what Lion could tell, it had a chemical structure similiar to AT-AT antifreeze. Akima pulled out a hip flast and took a swig from that. Selayar just groaned and ordered a Calamarian Halfback.

"So, anybody have any war stories they want to recount?" Lion asked, raising his eyebrows.

...Commander Mironia launched into a detailed explanation of the destruction of the Star Destroyer Tyrant, which involved lots of hand movements and some skillful use of cigar smoke. Halfway through the explanation of a strafing run, Captain Selayar slumped forward and moaned.

"Calamarian Halfbacks should be illegal..." he groaned.

Colonel Tellard cocked and eyebrow, drained his 3rd drink, and then replied:

"They are..."

Lion smiled, and started looking around for locals to chat with...maybe a friend or two would drop by.

Janus Riddyl
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:58:31 PM
Janus had been wandering around the bar for some time now, occasionally talking with someone but he found he, as well whoever he was talking to, never really had much to talk about. He walked around some more and noticed a group sitting at a table on the other side of the room. He did not recognize anyone in the group.

Deciding to make his way over and find out who they were Janus did that but slowly, the crowd was dense. Eventually he arrived at the table and spoke. "Hi, I don't believe I have seen any of you here before. I don't suppose you are part of the Jedi order?"

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:26:39 AM
Lion turned around and gave the...winged-man...a scrutinizing look. He cocked an eyebrow and then loosened up when he realized who it was. Janus Riddyl, one of Zeke's friends. Lion had seen him flying once, and it was pretty damn crazy what speed he could hit with force boosting.

"Actually, I am part of the Jedi Order. I'm one of Dasquian Belargic's Padawans." Lion held out his hand. "Admiral Lion El' Jonson, Commander of the New Republic Intelligence Navy."

Lion nodded to Commander Mironia, and the woman pulled out a chair and slid it around to their table.

"You're Janus, right? Your master has told me a bit about you...Zeke and I are pretty good friends. Anyways, my fleet is stopping for a bit to take on fuel and drop off some prisoners, so I've got a bit of downtime right now. You want to join us?"

Janus Riddyl
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:45:49 PM
Janus shook Lion's hand, "I am Janus. So you and Zeke are good friends?" Janus turned to the unfamilier woman and said, "Tank you." and sat down. He slic the chair in a bit and got comfortable. "So far everyone I've met is good friends with Zeke. He seems to be a popular guy."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:31:22 AM
Lion nodded.

"Ya, I joined the Order within a day or two of Zeke...we met during our first training session..."

Lion leaned back.

"So...what's it like to fly, eh?"

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:27:49 PM
Tie was thirsty and hungry after the last few sim runs against a couple of X-Wing pilots who were quite good spotted his old friend Lion among a group of peope who loked either like officers out of unifrom or Jedi. He removed his flight helmet and walked over o the table where Lion was sitting.

Janus Riddyl
Apr 5th, 2003, 06:34:09 PM
Janus smiled, questions regarding his wings always came up. He didn't mind though. "Well...to me flying is like what walking is to you. Although it does have its advantages, it really gives you a sense of freedom. You really don't knwo what an open space is until you're high above the ground." Janus stopped talking and turned to look at the pilot who approached the table.

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:51:19 PM
Tie walked up and said hello to his friend Lion and then he introduced himself to the other man siting at the table. "Hello my name is Taichi Yamagi but you can call me Tie. Are you a pilot, jedi, diplomat?

Janus Riddyl
Apr 8th, 2003, 02:44:50 PM
"I am Janus Riddyl, Padawan to Jedi Knight Zeke." He responded to Tie and stood up to shake the man's hand. "So am I right if I were to assume that you were a pilot?"

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:55:56 PM
"Yes, I would be a pilot. I just joined up a few days a go in fact. Do you mind if i join you?"

Janus Riddyl
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:46:36 PM
"I don't. Do you Lion?" Janus said and look towards Lion.

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:05:52 AM
Lion shook his head, and kicked back in his stool.

"Ah, hell no. Might make this conversation a bit spicier."

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:48:54 PM
"Thank you Admiral Johnson."
"Ill take a Corellian Whisky, Whyren's Reserve if you have it please." Tie said to the passing serving droid

Janus Riddyl
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:14:16 PM
"Sure!" Janus pulled a chair away from an empty table. "Here, sit down."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:47:50 PM
Lion took another sip of his drink.

"So, Tie, how'd that straffing run on the Imp Intel base go? Heard you ran into an Impstar Deuce just as you were waltzing out."

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 13th, 2003, 12:56:24 PM
"Yeah actually it was and Impstar duece and a strike cruiser. The other B-wing pilots who were simming with me were pretty good and they listened well so we held off the TIEs till the rest of the strike force could get out."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:18:15 PM
"Nice, Tie. Were the people you were simming with part of your squadron?"

Lion had been contempleting promoting Tie to Wing Commander, and he'd been assessing Tie's runs in the simulators to see how well others responded to his orders.

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:21:38 PM
"Yeah, they're a good bunch of kids. The only thing i think they lack is actualy combat experience but otherwise they take orders well and they have intitiative."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 13th, 2003, 01:24:09 PM
"Interesting. Would you be interested in running a sim with my boys later? Say, the 6th Battlefleet vs. a few Impstar Deuces?"

Th 6th Battlefleet was smaller than Lion's primary fleets, the Elite 1st and 2nd, but it still packed quite a bit of firepower.

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:05:41 PM
"yeah sure. maybe janus could join us too."

Janus Riddyl
Apr 15th, 2003, 06:24:30 PM
Janus was enjoying the conversation between Tie and Lion, he enjoyed hearing a little about space combat. "Well, I've never flown anything besides the crafts back home, but I'd be willing to give it a shot."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 15th, 2003, 06:52:27 PM
Lion smiled.

"That'd be cool, Janus. If you ever need a lift somewhere, just call me. The New Republic is auctioning off some of our older X-Wings right now...I might be able to secure one for you."

Of course, who needed an X-Wing when you had wings?

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 16th, 2003, 11:00:08 AM
"old X-Wings huh? You think i could get some of those.?"

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 16th, 2003, 12:00:03 PM
Lion shook his head.

"You've already got that souped-up Interceptor. What's an X-Wing compared to that?"

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 17th, 2003, 06:45:55 PM
"I dunno just something to tinker with. Anyways if i modify the X-Wing well enough then i might be able to use it a second ship if the Interceptor breaks."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:13:59 PM
"...If the Interceptor breaks, we're tossing you in your B-Wing...modify that...."

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:35:33 PM
"True very true. Actually you just reminded me of something. Later on to perform those modifications i might need another powercell and i also need a supercharger for the lasers."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:34:31 PM
Lion sighed.

"Fine...try hangar A7's maintenance bay..."

He pulled out his Magenta-Level coding cylinder.

"Forge the orders with this, and don't try transfering me to another ship..I'll have you shot...." Lion joked.

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:58:57 PM
"Alriht sounds like a plan ill do that once i leave. " "You have any idea whe we'll be deployed?"

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:05:27 PM
Lion shrugged.

"Nope...Senate is convening, though, to discuss the Balmorran situation. Their Super Star Destroyer took down Bilbringi. We just recieved word of it..."

He paused and took a drink from a passing serving droid.

"Seems like they're involved in some sort of Civil War with the rest of the remnant."

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:08:13 PM
"Ohh sounds interesting. Well since you've been promoted and if you decide to send out a recon frce dont hesitate to send me along to, its been a long time since i've seen some real action."
"Hey bartender get me another Corellian Whisky on the rocks."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:21:06 PM
Lion shook his head.

"If the New Republic ever sends anything in, it'll be the senate that decides it. I've got a bit of pull in there through a few of my old buddies, but a bunch of the other senators are total hardasses. Besides, Balmorra has a navy that can rival almost anybody, besides us and perhaps the Cizerack Pride."

Current intel on the situation placed Balmorran Naval strength at an SSD, 12 dreads, a Vicstar, and multiple wings of fighters...with the taking of Bilbringi, those numbers might escalate sharply.

"If we do send in a recon team...it'll be Colonel Tellard's job." He motioned towards his command staff who were currently chatting amongst each other, while Captain Selayar was lolling on the bar, half-drunk.

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:28:24 PM
"Well, alright. I just need to get out there and do some real fightin. ill jus ave to patient i guess."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:08:11 PM
"You know, I don't know many people that are as eager to rush into the jaws of death as you are...must be one of those crazy Corellian things."

He knocked back a drink of whiskey, and the whole table winced.

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:10:59 PM
"Yeah. Im the kind of person to laugh in the face of death and take it out for drinks ad dinner later. Besides when I die I want to go out in a blaze of glory." Tie chuckled as he finished his second drink.

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:17:41 PM
Lion cocked an eyebrow.

"What, old age isn't good enough for you?"

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:20:03 PM
"Nah. I dont have the patience for that. The only way i would do that is i reach high rank and retire but of course then i would go pleasantly to pieces."

Lion El' Jonson
Apr 27th, 2003, 12:02:20 AM
Lion shook his head again.

"I don't think anyone in their right mind would put you in command of a battlefleet."

He imagined Tie manically driving a cruiser into battle, letting loose broadsides and laughing like a madman. He tried to banish that thought.

"No, I'm definitely not letting you have command of a garbage scow until you return from a simulation with more than 25% of your squadron intact."

TieFighterPilot181st
Apr 27th, 2003, 07:29:18 PM
" I would like to point out that I am very mentally stable thank you very much. Anways its not my faul all the pilots i have on my team in the sims have nerf brains."

Lion El' Jonson
May 2nd, 2003, 11:57:12 AM
"Well, Lieutenant, not every pilot was put through 181st training."

He knocked back another Whiskey. Captain Selayar fell off his stool, drunk and sleeping. Lion shook his head.

"Poor guy...so, you know the underbelly of Coruscant pretty well, Tai?"

TieFighterPilot181st
May 2nd, 2003, 12:01:41 PM
"True. A little not really well though. Is there any particlar reason you asked?"

Lion El' Jonson
May 2nd, 2003, 01:07:12 PM
"An inserted NR Intel Squad finally pinpointed a Black Market Bazaar...we're not 100% sure who's running it, but our money is on Pyraten Selyam, one of Prince Xizor's top Lieutenants. He was probably the top ranked human in that organization. When Luke and the others took down Black Sun, Pyraten struck out with a significant percentage of Black Sun's funds."

He blinked a few times to clear some dust or something from his eye, then continued.

"We assume he'd been diverting the funds for years, and then he dropped out of sight....to resurface here."

Lion pulled out a hologram pad and projected a map of Coruscant. He typed in some commands and the hologram zoomed in towards a section of the slums, well away from the center of the city.

"The whole area is crawling. Intel estimates 35,000 gangsters under his immediate command, and the rest of his area is pretty much on his side. He's running a Black Market Bazaar in the area. Intel was able to purchase PLX-2M missile launchers, several blaster rifles, enough parts to assemble a heavy turbolaser, 4 Chariot Command Speeders, and hundreds of other non-civilian weapons. One of our men even managed to come up with a new model Heavy Disruptor Rifle..."

He sipped his drink.

"And all this was out in the open, in the bazaar itself. Several gang-lords were taken into an armored building, presumably to discuss deals for much nastier things...as you can see, we can't let this thing stay around. We've got reports of two squadrons of shielded TIE Interceptors, and a squadron of Tenloss Syndicate Hornets...almost a hundred atmospheric fighters, too. Pilots are competent, if not especially innovative."

Lion tapped something else into the holopad.

"General Kits is drawing more than 1,500 troops from barracks all over the city, to try and avoid drawing suspicion. They're going to move in as soon as the preliminary attack is completed....which is where you come in, Tai. Your Black Knights, along with two other elite B-Wing squadrons, will be hitting the bazaar itself. Don't worry about collateral damage. At the same time, the Intel squad will launch an operation during the chaos to take Pyraten prisoner. Operation launches in a week...interested?"

TieFighterPilot181st
May 2nd, 2003, 08:36:15 PM
"Sounds like fun. No worries about collateral damage. Couldnt get much better than that. Dontworry ill be there."