PDA

View Full Version : Final Four Picks (must be in by tipoff, Saturday)

Figrin D'an
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:59:03 PM
Should be two great national semifinals....

(3) Marquette
(2) Kansas

(1) Texas
(3) Syracuse

A lot of the ESPN guys (Digger Phelps, Dick Vitale, Andy Katz) think Kansas is going to cut down the nets on Monday night. If so, it would definately follow the pattern set the past few years by Michigan State and Maryland (ie. get to the Final Four one year, win it all the next year).

We'll see... any one of these teams is capable.

CMJ
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:18:40 PM
Anyone but Texas. :p

Figrin D'an
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:08:45 PM
:lol

Honestly, I haven't been that impressed with Texas in the tournament. I know that sounds rather foolish to say... after all, they did make it to New Orleans, and they beat Purdue, UConn, Michigan State to get there... but they just don't strike me as being the jugernaut that they were portrayed as at times during the season. They're a very physical team, no doubt. Their outside shooting is suspect. If Bodicker goes cold, they've got nothing from outside the arc. TJ Ford is a great ballhandler, and off the dribble he's quicker than probably anyone in the country. He's a streaky shooter though... he's had trouble hitting jumpers throughout the tourney. They seem to be good in a lot of areas, but not great at anything, execpt for Ford on dribble-drives. Michigan State dominated the glass against them, and against UConn, Okefor pretty much had his way inside as well. If the Spartans would have hit their freethrows, they probably would have won. I have to agree with Digger Phelps... Boeheim's 2-3 zone is going to give Texas problems. Maybe not as badly as it did for Oklahoma, but Big 12 teams don't see a 2-3 zone as a base defense. Syracuse runs it better than anyone.

CMJ
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:52:21 PM
Having attended a school in Texas other than THE University(which is how those arrogant SOB's refer to themselves as) I HATE the Horns.

If they win it all I'm gonna vomit.

Any of the other 3 schools would be great stories. Marquette because they've been under the radar for awhile(2 decades) and Kansas and Syracuse both deserve titles for their coaches legacies.

Nathanial K'cansce
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:32:39 PM
*chants for 'Cuse* Home state heroes, w00t!

*paints face orange and blue*

sirdizzy
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:45:45 PM
Marquette
Syracuse

there ya go

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:16:22 PM
Kansas
Syracuse

I am rooting for the Orangemen though.

Figrin D'an
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:17:39 PM
I've gotta go with the #3 seeds.

(3) Marquette (W)
(2) Kansas

I know Kansas has the senior leaders, and the experience from the Final Four last year. But Marquette has more offensive weapons and a deeper bench. Tom Crean is one of the best gameplanning coaches around... he used to design a lot of Michigan State's gameplans when he was an assistant under Tom Izzo. He'll use a lot of shifting defenses to break up Kansas offensive rhythm. But, on top of all that... I don't see the Jayhawks being able to slow down Dwayne Wade. He torched probably the top two defensive teams in the country (Kentucky and Pittsburgh). Throw in how Jackson and Merrit have been playing, and Deiner and Novak hitting outside shots... that's just scary offensive production. Kansas can score too, but they'll need both Collison and Hinrich to be on their game at the same time... so far in the tourney, one or the other has been off in each game. Lots of points for both sides, but I think the Golden Eagles, behind Wade, are gonna be too much for an experienced but short-handed Jayhawk squad.

(1) Texas
(3) Syracuse (W)

I talked about Texas before... they're physical, and TJ Ford is great on driving to the basket. But their outside jumpshooting is suspect beyond Bodicker and Mouton. Very good in a lot of areas, but they seem to lack a killer instinct. They've had trouble finishing teams off in the tourney. Purdue, UConn and Michigan State all hung around, and were within striking distance within the last 4 minutes of the game (ie. under 6-7 points). Syracuse has some very good jump shooters, a couple of very good rebounders, and of course, Carmello Anthony, whom can pretty much do it all. Defense will be the name of the game. Syracuse 2-3 zone will give Texas some problems. The best way to overcome it will be for Ford to drive inside, get the zone to collapse toward him, then kick it out to open shooters. That means Bodicker, Mouton and Ivy must hit their shots. If they don't, the Longhorns will be in trouble. I like Boeheim's squad in this matchup.

CMJ
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:44:50 PM
I'm going with Kansas and Syracuse.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:28:32 PM
What does everybody think about Doughtery getting fired by North Carolina? I wasn't too shocked really he didn't do anything for the program. Have no clue who they could bring in now.

Figrin D'an
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:44:58 PM
I'm not shocked. From a basketball standpoint, it might be a bit unfair, but the North Carolina faithful expect immediate results. Much like UCLA. He lost the confidence of his players, though... that might have been the last straw.

Roy Williams will be #1 on UNC's list. He's gonna be hounded throughout the week and this weekend in New Orleans. There will be lots of names floated out there this week, I'm sure.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:00:53 AM
Larry Brown is another I am certain, not sure after who they would consider.

Figrin D'an
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:48:30 AM
George Karl, Kelvin Sampson, Mark Few, Tom Crean... they'll all get mentioned at some point, among others.

Taylor Millard
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:56:28 PM
Texas

Kansas

And on the subject of the Horns (and I think CMJ might be the only one who gets this...)

GIG 'EM!

I might pick 'em...don't mean I have t'go for 'em.

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:33:18 PM
:lol

Or to use another A&M phrase.

Saw Varsity's Horns Off!

Admiral Lebron
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:42:59 PM
Syracuse
Kansas

CMJ
Apr 5th, 2003, 06:30:51 PM
Kansas is making a statement...holy cow!:eek

Figrin D'an
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:29:45 PM
A combination of several Kansas players having the game of their careers, and many Marquette players having their worst game of the season. A shame that the game wasn't more competitive. I give credit to Marquette for playing the way they did in the second half, and not giving up. It was Kansas' night to shine, though.

Syracuse/Texas has been a very good game so far, though.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:28:44 PM
So its Syracuse vs Kansas, I guess either Behiehm or Williams will finally get their title. I am still rooting more for Syracuse as they have never won and I think that would be great. Also who else thinks Anthony is something special, he is a great player probably one of the top 5 players in the country.

Admiral Lebron
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:30:45 PM
Hmm... Syracuse can win, cos I like their lax team.

CMJ
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:35:15 PM
Rooooooooooooooooooooooooock Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalk Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk

Seriously, I love that cheer. It's almost solemn(so slow when performed), like they feel bad for the squad the just beat up.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:38:34 PM
CMJ 2-0
Admiral Lebron 2-0
Jedi Master Carr 2-0
Taylor Millard 1-1
Figrin D'an 1-1
Sir Dizzy 1-1

Totals
Figrin D'an 43-19
Admiral Lebron 42-20
CMJ 40-22
Jedi Master Carr 39-23

Grey Drasen 33-7
Taylor Millard 8-6
Sir Dizzy 6-8
Mu Satach 1-3

CMJ
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:46:32 PM
By the way...Texas lost! Thank the maker!!!!

Admiral Lebron
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:56:37 PM
I CAN'T OVERTAKE FIGRIN YAR!!!

Figrin D'an
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:02:52 PM
Cool... I can do no worse than tie for first... :)

After my 1-3 Elite Eight round, I wasn't sure I was going to pull it off...

CMJ
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:19:43 PM
Only a few games behind, but alas...not gonna do better than 3rd. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2003, 12:24:20 AM
Best I can do is tie for third.