PDA

View Full Version : MLB Opeing Day

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:17:43 PM
Well the season begins Monday for most teams, I guess the Yankees are the favorites again, of course they were the favs the last two years and didn't win either year so that doesn't mean anything. Of course I am pulling for my Red Sox I think they have a good chance with their offense and they have good pitching their bullpen is alot better than last year. A team I think that might surprise people is the Cubs I have a feeling that Baker will surprise some people with them.

Figrin D'an
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:29:31 PM
The Cubs have a lot of talent, but they'll find ways to screw up, I'm sure. Nothing against Dusty Baker... he's a great manager... but I'm not sure even he can turn the Cubs into consistent winners.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:48:07 PM
Well I think he could, I have hope at least it would be great to finally see the Cubs in the WS.

JMK
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:09:51 AM
I think the Cubs have the personnel to have a +.500 season, but I doubt they'll contend for anything. I'm excited about the Expos chances, but they've got one foot in Puerto Rico, and the other in a grave. I just hope the Yankees are overthrown this year in the AL East and I think the Sox acquiring Mendoza may be one of the keys to doing that.

CMJ
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:37:24 AM
Red Sox and Cubs in the series...someone will have their curse end. ;)

JMK
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:59:22 AM
Could you imagine? 2 cursed teams in the WS? That would be so painful for the loser! :lol

CMJ
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:03:32 PM
It'd be almost the perfect situation though. Ratings would be through the roof.

And more importantly...SOMEONE would have to win! :D

JMK
Mar 30th, 2003, 12:22:00 PM
Ratings would certainly be up, more than last year that's for sure.
I just hope Selig doesn't do anything stupid with the all-star game, like awarding home field advantage to the winning league. That's silly IMO.

JediBoricua
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:47:30 PM
April 11, NY Mets vs Expos at Estadio Hiram Bithorn

Can't wait!

I'm going to all the vs. Mets games, and to three vs Braves! Outfield seats though, I'm poor!!!!! :(

JMK
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:12:58 AM
Outfield seats rule! You have a chance to catch a Vladimir home run! Of which there will be many! :D

I, on the other hand will have a hard time getting myself to the Olympic Stadium. But it was announced today that my local sports station will finally carry Expos games in english. :rollin

JediBoricua
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:05:40 PM
True, true.

Man Cubs 15, Mets 2 :smokin. That's scary!

Figrin D'an
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:12:09 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
True, true.

Man Cubs 15, Mets 2 :smokin. That's scary!

Yeah... but is it a sign of things to come, or an abberation?

The Cubs need to win the 1-run games... that's where they've killed the last few seasons. Last year, they were something like 15-34 in 1-run contests, and their bullpen had more blown leads than saves.

Their starting pitching has huge potential... Kerry Wood is ready to be a solid #1 starter, and Matt Clement and Mark Prior are immensely talented. Someone besides Sosa has to start hitting the ball though.

JMK
Mar 31st, 2003, 05:41:52 PM
Is it a sign of another woeful Met season or the start of a great season for the Cubs?

And how about my Expos handing Maddux his first ever opening day loss? Without Guerrero! :smokin

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:22:59 PM
The Cubs looked scary if they can play like that all season they might shock everybody and finally win the WS. My sox should won that closer by committee flopped in the first game, Martinez pitched a 7 great innings and the two guys gave up 5 runs in the 9th that just sucked.

JMK
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:30:23 PM
Yeah, that was a meltdown. Looks like Theo is going to have to find a closer. A new task for the young guy.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2003, 10:41:50 PM
I think he still likes that closer by committee thing. The problem is who? The only option right now is Jiminez with Colorado he was offered to Boston for couple of people, he is probably the only closer on the market. But I am not sure if I like him or not the guy has pitched well outside Coors field and that is a scary thought.

JMK
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:11:44 PM
The Expos are more or less going by committee as well which will probably hurt them too.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:22:08 PM
It hasn't worked yet, I think they don't want to overpay for one guy which I understand. Also I meant that Jiminez hasn't pitched well outside Coors, his ERA is over 4 outside that place, which is really odd.

JMK
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:02:47 AM
That is seriously odd. Everyone has inflated stats in that place.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:04:18 AM
I know usually the ERAs go the other way.

JMK
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:10:23 AM
I wonder how long Jeter will be out of the Yankees lineup? He took a serious smash at 3rd from the Blue Jays catcher and was carted off the field. He's got a dislocated shoulder, but it didn't mention how bad it was.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2003, 12:40:44 PM
He is going to be out a month, not sure how bad that will hurt the Yankees.

jjwr
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:09:33 PM
Darn those Red Sox, I gotta feel sorry for Pedro, that guy could have 25 wins a year if only the Red Sox didn't keep blowing his wins. Its typical for the guy to go 8 innings, allow a few hits and 1 or 2 runs and the team will lose 1 or 2-0....

As for Jeter, the injury suck, its always bad to see someone who works that hard and is a genuinely good guy get injured like that. But on the bright side the Evil Empire may stumble because of it and thats always a good thing :)

JediBoricua
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:14:27 PM
Well now it's time for the Red Sox to get ahead.

Get a move'on people!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2003, 11:40:50 PM
My Sox finally won after blowing another lead, still the Bullpen pitched pretty good consider the game went until the 16th inning.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:36:12 AM
The fans pretty much got a double header! :lol

jjwr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:58:36 AM
Yeah that 16 inning win was impressive, what gets me is with all the big bats the Red Sox are supposed to have they were held to like 5 hits from the 6th to the 16th inning, Nomar, Manny,Giambi, etc....why weren't these guys getting hits off the dredges of the Tampa Bay bullpen?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:59:32 PM
The season is early I don't know, they did score 9 runs that to me is impressive.

jjwr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:34:18 PM
Yeah that is impressive but it took them 16 innings, they could also very well be tired.

I'm really curious to see how Lowe pitches this year, if he tanks it they're in trouble.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:10:26 PM
I saw him pitch an exhibition game in Atlanta Friday night he pitched pretty good then, I think he will pitch well, I am more worried about Fossum, I am not sure what to expect from him.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:56:14 PM
The Expos are now 2-0 following a 3-0 blanking of the Braves, again in Atlanta. So now they've blasted them 10-2 and held them scoreless 3-0. They did the closer by committee again, and it worked flawlessly tonight. Tell me I'm not excited about the team this season! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:20:43 PM
My Sox won again, though Lowe didn't pitch great still got the win, I think the Boston offense will be very good or the Devil Ray pitching very bad.

CMJ
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:25:06 PM
I think it's a bit of both.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:31:27 PM
I hope its more about the Sox offense :p But who knows its only April 2nd, hopefully it also means that the devil rays have an offense otherwise I am not sure what to make of the Sox pitching.

CMJ
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:32:34 PM
We're 3 games into the season. That's NOTHING. :p

You can't read into anything yet.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:50:27 PM
Thats very true the Braves have lost their first two games and they aren't dead yet.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:51:56 PM
You're totally right. But the reason I feel so high on the Expos right now is because they've taken it to the Braves twice, without Guerrero and without having used their #1 pitcher yet. With The Expos playing so much of this year on the road, I'm taking this as a sign of good things to come.

JMK
Apr 4th, 2003, 06:52:29 AM
I'd just like to announce that the sweep over the Braves in complete, as the Expos won 4-0 last night. Back to back shutouts IN Atlanta. The Expos outscored the Braves 17-2 over the 3 games. All 3 starters have been terrific, and the bullpen is getting hitters out. Not a bad start at all. :smokin

Taylor Millard
Apr 4th, 2003, 07:04:55 AM
Too bad they're moving in the future.

Will JMK *gasp* have to go all the way to Toronto to see Baseball now?

:mneh

JMK
Apr 4th, 2003, 08:26:50 AM
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably by the time I get around to that the Blue Jays will be on the move too.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 11:35:38 AM
LOL Then he would have to go to Boston ;) At least the Sox will still be there. Congrats Kyle the Expos do look very good so far, my Sox looked good yesterday beating up on the Rays, their offense looks very good so far, especially Millar, I am really happy now we picked him up.

JediBoricua
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:26:34 PM
Don't worry JMK we'll keep your 'pos warm and fuzzy here, although I don't know how many will be rooting for them though.

My only fear is that when they see our beaches and feel our snow-less weather they would want to stay! ;)

JMK
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:34:22 PM
:( The thought of them leaving kills me.
If they do leave, I probably will become a member of Red Sox nation. Courtland already knows that though.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:45:15 PM
We be happy to take you in :)

Taylor Millard
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:15:42 PM
Well if the Expos move to DC will you become a fan of them still?

Although DC better call 'em something other than 'The Senators'

Both teams who were called that have moved far, far away.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:42:18 PM
I think DC is perfect for them too bad Angelos has been fighting for years to keep a team out.

Figrin D'an
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:03:43 PM
Looks like Ken Griffey Jr. is gonna be on the DL again....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230405117

I can't help but feel badly for him... his career has gone into the tank since he signed with Cincinnati. He now likely won't get to the 500 home-run plateau this season. A few years ago, he was unquestionably the best all-around player in baseball. Now he's not even an all-star anymore. I have to wonder how much longer he's gonna play if these injuries keep occuring.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:30:12 PM
Its weird how they happened too, I think he needs to get out of Cincinnati.

JMK
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:13:20 AM
I used to be the world's biggest Ken Griffey jr fan. Seeing his career go downhill like this is awful. He was a lock for the Hall of Fame and the guy who was going to break every record, now it looks like he's not going to break anything but himself on the diamond. :\

If the Expos relocated to DC or VA, or Portland I don't know if I'd continue to be their fan. I'd rather see them contracted along with a half dozen other teams and have a dispersal draft.

CMJ
Apr 6th, 2003, 10:51:44 AM
No contraction. :p As bad as relocation might be I don't wanna see any team get the axe.

JediBoricua
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:48:49 PM
Woohoo! What a game!

Okay it wasn't much of a game, the Expos destroyed the Mets 10-0!

Great game, I got to see a grand slam, had fun, drank beer and got ready to do it all over again 5 times this week! Excellent atmosphere, and Vidro hit his homer right over me, if I were two seats up I could have caught it!

On Sunday a couple of friends and me are planning on wearing heavy winter coats (for a couple of innings also) and carrying a sign saying: Feel just as home Expos!

This was such a great experience I'm speechless!!!!

JediBoricua
Apr 11th, 2003, 10:50:44 PM
Oh and BTW the Expos are impressive.

They have great offense, the pithcer Okha was flawless pitch a shutout and only 1 hit for 8 innings!

If they keep playing like this they could win the East! That may buy them a couple more years in Montreal.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:08:14 PM
Also what about the Royals, I know its early but they have the best record in baseball at 8-0 can they keep playing like this? I would like to see them make the playoffs that would be great they used to be a very good team until recently.

JediBoricua
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:30:09 PM
It's the year of the small market!!!

(The chances of me having to eat those words come october are extremely high, but who cares I'm extatic!!!)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:43:59 PM
I would love to see a WS between the Expos and the Royals that would be cool, though I doubt it will happen.

JediBoricua
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:53:24 PM
One could dream.

Anyway since it's late and I'm on a baseball high I was thinking waht would happen if baseball could have it's own dream teams, like basketball, for the olympics.

The US would have a monster, mostly the better pitchers. Puerto Rico's team would be very good and would have a killer infield with Delgado at first, Alomer at Second, Rey Sanchez at ss, third base I haven't figure out, and Pudge at Catcher. On the field I would put Juan Gonzalez at the left, Bernie Williams at center, and Carlos Beltran at right. Pitcher we have Javier Vazquez, but that's it. We just don't have that many pitchers.

But of all the teams, I'm willing to bet the Dom. Republic would bet the best. Just imagine this lineup.
1.Soriano
2. A. Rod
3. Manny Ramirez
4. Sammy Sosa
5. Vlad. Guerrero
6. Miguel Tejada

The other three put who you want. Add to that Pedro Martínez and Bartolo Colón pitching, with Mariano Rivera closing.

A Latin America Team would beat a US team I believe. What the Domicans lack the Puertorricans have, a catcher and a second baseman. Add Juan Gonzalez and Delgado to the mix of Dominican sluggers and there is no pitcher who can stop them.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 11th, 2003, 11:56:17 PM
I agree with you guys have been shelling out the best talent in the last 10 years.

JediBoricua
Apr 12th, 2003, 12:05:09 AM
And wait until Cuba opens up.

Cuba's amateurs are as good as Proffesional All-Stars today.

Don't get me wrong, the US is still king, and it is the only country were baseball will be profitable as a major sport. But I believe since the sport scene in the US has grown so much and has become so diverse, there are not as many kids looking to play baseball professionally as there were 50 years ago where MLB was the only major sport organization in the country. Also you have to consider that our baseball players are the only ones that can play hand to hand with US players. Our basketball players are good, hey we are ranked 7 in the world, but still we are miles away from NBA quality. So kids here in the island, and in the DR where I believe they are born with a bat and a mit, look at baseball as THE sport.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:57:25 AM
It would be cool if it WAS the year of the small market. The Royals have been bad for a LONG time now. It's cool to see them doing so well.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:39:30 AM
I listened to much of last night's game, and to the entire Cubs series. The Expos starting pitching has been almost perfect. Vasquez fanned 14 Cubs wednesday, and only gave up 5 hits, Armas jr struck out 11 thursday and gave up just a couple hits and Okha's performance from yesterday was a gem. The Expos got 3 homers, the Mets managed 2 hits in the ENTIRE game. A small market WS would be awesome, but I doubt it will happen.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:41:23 AM
One small market team could make it maybe the Royals or Twins but I don't see two.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:15:17 PM
One thing is for sure though, if the Sox don't fix their bullpen they will be finished by the all star break. The Yankees are already off to the races and the Blue Jays look like they may be tougher than expected.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:25:19 PM
Well it still early yet I am getting too panicked hopefully the bullpen will get better, look at this way Maddux got shelled in his first two games I don't see that to keep happening.

CMJ
Apr 12th, 2003, 04:54:30 PM
It's not even May and I'm already starting to lose hope for the season.

JMK
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:00:43 PM
Well don't look at me! I'm not sending ANY of my Expos your way! :lol

Ok, *maybe* you can have Tatis. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:48:33 PM
Hey it still early I remember the last time they won the division they were 6 games out going into May and below .500 so I won't give up hope until June.

JediBoricua
Apr 12th, 2003, 10:13:12 PM
Oh my today's game was even better than yesterday's!

I haven't had so much fun in months! Go Expos!

And as a bonus I saw Roberto Alomar break Clemente's record as the puertorican with more runs scored in the majors. It cannot get better than that!

JMK
Apr 13th, 2003, 04:28:31 PM
Did you get to see today's game? A beauty of a comeback in the 9th, and they win it in the 10th. We get a chance at a 4 game sweep of the Meltdown Mets tomorrow afternoon! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:12:05 PM
The Red Sox finally had a well pitched game Lowe and Wakefield shut down the Orioles, hopefully their pitching can get back on track.

JMK
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:49:35 PM
The Tigers won and the Royals lost on the same day. Weird. :)

I wonder who is going to throw the season's first no-hitter?

JediBoricua
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:10:49 PM
Yeah man I was at yesterdays game, still have a sore throat from all the shouting I did in the last two innings! The way things are going for the Expos down here you could say it was written! Vidro winning the game in the 10th in front of his people!!!

And today the Expos sweeped the Mets for the first time since 1972!!! It's awesome! Everyday the Expos get more fans in Puerto Rico, local stores are running out of caps and jerseys! It's madness!

Tomorrow I'm not going to the game because I have a job interview, but i'm going to the other two on the bleachers, and my uncle gave me his tickets for friday's against the Reds (first row behind home plate!!!).

JMK
Apr 15th, 2003, 05:46:25 AM
How far from Hiram Bithorn are you? I'm telling you all now, *IF* the Expos starting pitchers stay healthy and pitch as well as they are now, the Expos will be in the postseason.

JediBoricua
Apr 17th, 2003, 11:18:53 AM
*Sigh* two losses in a row. I feel like i've been following this team all my life! I hope they don't get swept by the Braves tonight. Although the way the weather is today the game could be cancelled.

I live 15 minutes from the Bithorn.

JMK
Apr 17th, 2003, 05:11:29 PM
It's 3-3 in the top of the 5th. They need to squeak one out of this series otherwise that season opening sweep of the Braves will go for naught. Guerrero is in a terrible slump, he's trying too hard and is being FAR too impatient at the plate. If this team is going to succeed he has to be the top 5 MLB that everyone fears.

JMK
Apr 17th, 2003, 06:24:25 PM
8-6 Braves...ugh looks like the sweep is coming...

JediBoricua
Apr 17th, 2003, 08:42:52 PM
My my, it was a fun game, but it hurts as hell to see them loose. They have great pitching (although the bullpen is a bit shaky) and terrific defense, but their bats have gone silent in the past couple of games. They scored 8 runs today, but still their offense has to pick up the pace if they want to play on october.

Vladimir droped a ball in the 10th also, it was raining, but still you are valdimir guerrero. Great moment today though, when Andrew Jones homered in the 8th or 7th (don't remember) the fan who caught the ball threw it back to the field! It seems the Expos are becomings 'nuestros amores' too! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:12:52 PM
Pedro won today he pitched a heck of game finally no blown lead :)

JMK
Apr 17th, 2003, 11:02:22 PM
That's good to hear Boricua! I saw Guerrero drop that ball. He's really not doing so well there though. :(

jjwr
Apr 21st, 2003, 05:57:50 AM
Pedro! Looks like the Sox are on track, 7 game win streak and the bull pen hasn't been shelled in a few days.

Pedro should be 3-1 though....... :(

CMJ
Apr 21st, 2003, 09:01:53 AM
The Red Sox are playing really well...of course so is New York.

JMK
Apr 21st, 2003, 12:30:30 PM
I doubt that's ever going to change. Steinbrenner will do whatever it takes to make sure he's ahead of the Sox. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2003, 12:35:36 PM
I think that will change one day Steinbrenner screwed up the yankees in the 70's he will do it again one day might be another 5 years but it will happen.

jjwr
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:20:16 PM
He's already working on it with all the crap he's pulling with Torre and some of the players. They've got the lure of a winner but if he gets on Jeter and Torre's case it may make one think twice about going there.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:42:02 PM
That is what he did in the late 70s and early 80's the Yankees went into the gutter and stunk for like 10 years, they were also very bad in the 60's I think after 61 they didn't get to the WS againt till 76 that is a big drought for them. And I don't think they made the playoffs at all during that span.