PDA

View Full Version : When do the times change in the US?

ReaperFett
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:02:50 PM
Just wondering how close to our change yours is :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:14:27 PM
April 6th is the day, I believe. Clocks will be turned forward by one hour in most (not all) locales.

ReaperFett
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:30:52 PM
Ahhhh. Just wondering because ours go tonight, and Im sure the other change (Backwards) is on the same day.

Figrin D'an
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:09:00 PM
Daylight Saving Time is just messed up. The premise makes sense, but it's "choice implementation" is so bizzare, it ends up being more of a hassle and source of confusion than anything (at least in the US).

ReaperFett
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:16:29 PM
I always prefer summer times :)

Darth Viscera
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:48:59 PM
oy....DST...what a headache! I'm convinced that you need some sort of program to determine what time it is in Australia because of their bizarre DST implementation.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:32:15 PM
That's because some whack jobs still think it causes milk to curdle and the curtains to fade.

I wish I was only joking, but I'm not. They are the same type of people who still seriously want ol' Lizzie to rule. I'm not kidding on that one either. Noce place this 'er is, but the sun must cause some brains to malfunction

Kajeela Tarruurri
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:34:26 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
That's because some whack jobs still think it causes milk to curdle and the curtains to fade.

And further to that, the cows come home too soon or something.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 29th, 2003, 09:40:17 PM
And that.... oh hang on, that one's for real. That IS a real problem for dairy herders, because the truck schedules dont change time wise, but the cows, as per habit, dont turn up for milking at the new time - they turn up at the old 5 am.

Dont ansk me why the truck schedules dont get changed. Everyone in the dairy industry knows cows are creatures of habit and dont like the time skews, but the production companies seem not to get it.

Considering a happy cow produces much more milk and of better quality, the farmers dont like the changes to Daylight Saving. It'll be all fixed if the the production companies changed run schedules.... strange, but true

DarthHERA
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:09:26 PM
Well, I like DL S here because it stays light to about..10.30 at night in the summer.

Thats huge in a country where it rains about 360 days a year.

ps) maybe grumpy cows = curdled milk

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:20:30 PM
It's been proven grumpy cows produce less volume of milk and also less butterfat. Butterfat gives milk it body and a lot of it's flavour. A good herd of cows has 10 Fresians (traditional black and whites) to one Jersey (Brown). fresians gives the volume, Jersey's the butterfat. a really good milk from memory has about 4% by volume of butterfat. Fresians are about 1%, Jerseys about 10 - 15 I think. However a good milking Fresian gives up to 20 litres a day. Maybe more.

The calmer and more regulated a cow's milking existance, you can ramp production for up to double the volume. Plus, they will be milkable for about 2 months longer. The butterfat content will be higher as well. A poor milk will be greyer in colour and watery - a good milk is white and creamier.

This is scary I still remember this stuff.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:26:11 PM
O_o cool....

DarthHERA
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:42:10 PM
Marcus Elessar = Force Master, Lost Jedi, Dairy Farmer..

:)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:50:11 PM
...he fights crime! :lol

Stardust
Mar 29th, 2003, 11:20:48 PM
And runs an exellent bakery shop on the east side of town..

ReaperFett
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:24:09 AM
is DLS the summer one?