PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight 3 - Info and pictures

ReaperFett
Mar 29th, 2003, 04:41:05 PM
- The story takes place several years after JK2 (no exact date is given).
- Kyle now teaches at Luke's jedi academy
- the main character will be Kyle's padawan (because Kyle became to powerful at the end of JK2)
- you can create your own player and customize his look (only Humans and Twi'leks are confirmed so far, but there will be more races available).
- the first levels will be about your training at the academy under Luke and Kyle
- then you have to solve several small quests
- you discover a huge conspiracy, that threatens the whole galaxy
- almost each level will be on another planet or location
- confirmed locations: the Jedi academy, Tatooine, Hoth, a mercenary outpost, and dark temple complexes (a Sith temple maybe?)
- like in JK1, there will be two different endings (good or bad Jedi)
- the game will be non-linear, you can choose between several missions (minor side-missions or the important story-missions).

http://www.gamestar.de/images/startseite/heftvorschau_052003.gif - The magazine it came from

http://www.holonetz.com/files/jk3/ The pictures

Said to be coming about late 2003, which is what Activision said previously.

Lady Vader
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:21:48 PM
:eek

Another JK? Really? COOL!

But is it going to have the same sort as gameplay that JK2 had? Weapons? Stuff like that?

Darth Viscera
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:31:18 PM
SPORK MOD

Lady Vader
Mar 29th, 2003, 05:41:15 PM
Hey, Fett... where is the site you found this info on?

Droo
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:17:54 PM
I have to admit to being somewhat sceptical about this, there is something about those pictures that I find peculiar but to start with, those kinds of pictures could quite easily be produced by level editors or whatever.

I have a feeling this could be just a big prank.

ReaperFett
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:28:21 PM
Well, Activision DID say that JK3 would be released late 2003 to early 2004.

http://www.jediknightii.net/jkiiirevealed.shtml

A writeup of the same thing.

And to me, there is NO way this is from JK2. The quality of things around is too high. It looks more like KOTOR on quality scale, for the lightsabres and all. And there's no way they edited that.

Yes, it could be a hoax. But for once, stop being all miserable and pessimistic, and imagine how great this could be :)

And as an aside, if you put "JEDI KNIGHT 3: DETAILS INSIDE" or similar on your magazine COVER, you could be sued for false advertising.

Droo
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:47:43 PM
I don't think there's any difference in the quality of pictures. I just don't see it at all, could be a glorified multiplayer game from Jedi Outcast for all I know. I'm not being pessimistic, I just don't want to get my hopes up yet as this could be a big hoax. I hope it isn't, fingers crossed!

In any case, we still have KOTOR to look forward to. :rollin

AmazonBabe
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:49:26 PM
Looks like one of the other characters is a Rodian (from looking at the screen shots).

In any case... NEED MORE INFO ON THIS!!! :rollin

ReaperFett
Mar 29th, 2003, 06:57:16 PM
Glorified multiplayer with a Rancor? ;)

And when did you block shots with two lightsabres crossed over oneanother? :)

And from the look of it, it might end up beating KOTOR to release ;)

Sanis Prent
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:13:22 PM
Eh...doesn't really look that much different from JK2. I share Dru's sentiments on this.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:17:13 PM
They're way too low resolution to really tell, but the shadows look rather meh.

Figrin D'an
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:43:16 PM
If those pics are real screencaps, it's definately an unrefined cut of the game... those could very easily be mods/skins in JKII.

Darth Viscera
Mar 29th, 2003, 10:27:00 PM
I found a grappling hook for JK2..

http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=4355
Download that, create a folder called JediMod in the C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData directory, and drop all 12 files directly into the JediMod folder without creating any other new folders. set mod_grapple to 1, hold down E, and the grapple will fly off. release E to release grapple.

Grappling hooks make all the difference!

Agden Ithrin
Mar 30th, 2003, 02:37:03 AM
Twin-sabers is pretty snazzy :)

imported_Terran Starek
Mar 30th, 2003, 07:16:18 PM
Yeah, I was a huge fan of JK2. I agree with Fett--dual sabers are waaaayyyyy cool. :D

Fett listed all the stuff I found out too (there ain't much out there right now) and I am hella looking forward to it. I think it will be a good mix. I mean, with SW Galaxies, KightsotOR, you need a good action title to keep the saber-play alive. :)

EDIT: Update

Here's a few other pics on another link. They're the same ones--smaller--with a few new ones.

http://www.jediknightii.net/jk3_screenshots.shtml

Darth Viscera
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:46:15 PM
Someone download jedimod 1.2 and the duel fo the fates map so we can play!

Shawn
Mar 30th, 2003, 09:52:49 PM
I read that you will be able to customize your character in JK3 - race, gender, etc. as well as your lightsaber (handle, color, 1 or 2).

Pure rumor at this point, but interesting if true.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 30th, 2003, 10:23:13 PM
I found this I say it is true

Jedi Knight III Revealed
Developer: Raven Software
Publisher: LucasArts/ Activision
Release: Fall 2003

You know those moments when a simple day is turned into pure excitement? That about sums up my feelings when I went to the mailbox today to grab my issue of Gamestar, Germany’s Number One gaming mag. So I take a look at the cover to see a female Twi’lek wielding two lightsabers! “What the hell” was naturally my first thought before I see the words next to it: Jedi Knight III Revealed. World Exclusive.

So, where to start?
Right, with the story. At the end of Jedi Knight II, Kyle saves Jan from Desann’s claws, and the galaxy from the Doomgiver. Six years later: Kyle is now an instructor at Luke Skywalker’s famous Jedi Academy. Thus, for the first time in the Dark Forces series, you don’t play as Kyle Katarn! Instead, you create a character for yourself. Create? Yes, similar to a role-playing game you choose your characters gender, race (Humans and Twi’leks are confirmed so far) face, hair cut and clothing! And the customization doesn’t end there: you also choose a saber handle, colour and whether you want to use one or two sabers! Later on, you will also get a Darth Maul-style double-bladed saber.

Talking of sabers: Raven Software is trying to put a lot more emphasis on the Jedi’s favourite weapon. While there will still be conventional weapons (even more than in JK II), the current estimate says that around 70% of the game will be spent using a saber. And those 70% look spectacular for sure: according to the article, it will be quite common to face of against several Dark Jedi at once. This is where a new feature of JK III comes into play: you can now combine your force powers! For example, you can fight one enemy with one of your sabres, and at the same time throw the other saber at the next foe! Of course, Raven is adding new force powers to keep the experience fresh for us long-time fans of the series. Other than in JK II, you will now once again be able to choose what skills to advance in one of three levels. And you can choose if you want to follow the path of the light or dark side! This being more than a little touch, Raven promises that the last few levels of the 30-hour campaign will be different for the two sides; same goes for the final cutscene.

Which brings me right to the next cool new feature: missions! For the first time ever in an action-game, you will be able to choose which mission to tackle next! There will be a few key mission you have to do at a certain time, but otherwise, you are free in your decisions. Gamestar expects you to spend the time between missions in the Jedi Academy, from where you start on your missions. As I said there will be key point missions, as well as boss fights and side trek missions will allow you to improve your character, and maybe even pure vehicle missions! While JK II placed several levels in the same location, JK III will mostly be one mission in one location. These locations will be a merry mix of places from the movies, books, comics and new stuff. Examples of locales you will visit during your quest are Tatooine and Hoth (including a little ride on a Taun-Taun!)! Raven promises that the levels will often be twice the size of their JK II counterparts, and filled with life: on Tatooine, you will have to fight of Tusken Raiders, which are busy hunting Jawas (poor little guys always get beat up)!

The game will once again use a heavily-modifed Quake 3 Team Arena engine, as well as all of Raven’s own enhancements to it! Despite its Age, the screenies sure look spectacular! The multi-player part will also be enhanced, and rumours speak of vehicular combat!

And here comes the best part: According to Raven, JK III is 60% done, including story, scripts and levels. So, if everything goes well, you will be able to play it this fall!

It sounds and look very cool it sounds like it could be the best Jedi Knight game yet.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:38:36 AM
That whole article is one big Astroturf from a shrill.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2003, 12:25:06 PM
So you don't think its legit Marcus? That article came from the official Jedi Knight homepage the guys said they talked to Raven I have to think its legit, the screenshoots look better than anything in Jedi Outcast.

Oriadin
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:42:20 AM
This is from http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

JEDI KNIGHT III CONFIRMED!

Eager journalists let the Jedi Knight cat out the bag

17:36 "They've broken an embargo on it!" an Activision insider cried in hair-tearing manner, when we asked about the appearance of Jedi Knight III in the latest issue of a European games magazine. Well, that's all we need to be able confirm that the third in the series is on the way.
Raven Software is at the development helm once again; and the game, built on a modified Quake III Team Arena engine, is reportedly due toward the end of the year.

You may remember that Activision, in a recent conference call, hinted that there was another title in the Star Wars first-person shooter series planned. Today's Jedi Knight III revelation comes as no real shock - but what is surprising is that it will be with us so soon.

And there are more surprises in store. Long-standing hero of the series Kyle Katarn is being given the heave-ho. Having saved the day in Jedi Outcast, some years later Katarn finds himself standing in mentor boots alongside farm-boy-turned-Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker. Players begin Jedi Knight III as a talented pupil, training in the ways of The Force under the guidance of the two masters.

So who is this fresh-faced young upstart who has usurped Katarn? Well, here's an interesting thing: it's up to you. Adding RPG flavour, Jedi Knight III allows you to create your own custom character. You can pick from male or female avatars, determine race (only Humans and Twi'Leks [Bib Fortuna out of Return of the JEdi was one - Ed.] have been mentioned so far, but at least three other races are expected), select physical make-up and deck yourself out in clothing of your own choice.

Not excited yet? Well, how about if we tell you that you'll even be able to pick out your very own lightsaber? A selection of grip/handle designs for the Jedi Knights' favoured weapon will be available to choose from, along with a variety of colours. Oh, and lightsaber dual-wielding (a la Anakin in The Clone Wars) and Darth Maul-style double-ended lightsabers are both being introduced.

Wielders of a double-ended lightsaber will be able to snuff one end to gain speed increase in combat, while those who master the art of dual-wielding will be able to fling one lightsaber at enemies while retaining the other in the hand. With this in mind, it's no surprise to learn that the action in Jedi Knight III is heavily skewed toward lightsaber combat.

Raven, it seems, is definitely pulling out the stops to recreate the classic lightsaber battles from the movies. Awesome, is all we can say.

Single-player Jedi Knight III will apparently offer around 30 hours of gameplay, the game featuring a non-linear, mission-based campaign that'll have us visiting a variety of locales including Hoth and Tatooine. While some missions are integral to the storyline, from the sounds of it you'll also be able to branch off and spend time developing your character in the Jedi Academy and fight one-on-one battles with an AI opponent. There'll even be missions that are purely vehicle-orientated.

Levels will apparently be huge, many up to two times the size of those seen in Jedi Outcast.

One key difference this time around is that players, during events, will be able to decide whether to walk the Dark or Light Side of The Force. While this will, fingers crossed, give you access to different Force powers, it also means that you can expect there to be a mission path split in the later stages and two unique endings depending on your choices made earlier on in the proceedings.

Force powers themselves are being enhanced, the option being made available to combine powers for greater effect. Players will apparently be able to select which power they wish to advance as they progress, each having three different levels of, erm, power. The addition of new powers will no doubt be met with applause too, as will the introduction of some of Jedi Outcast's multiplayer-only powers to Jedi Knight III's single-player portion.

As yet there's next to nothing on Jedi Knight III multiplayer, but no doubt Raven is looking to pull something a little different out the bag. Hopefully we'll be able to use custom characters created for single-player at least; and if we get to plod around on Taun-Tauns (the ugly bipeds, in mountable form, appear in single-player) in Deathmatch, our dreams will have truly been answered.

Marcus Telcontar
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:14:49 AM
Oh, I believe it be trume just the total gush job that article is, it's ridiculous

ReaperFett
Apr 2nd, 2003, 03:18:38 PM
http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/depart/apr03/jedi.html

This is looking great. Sure, the graphics are just updated, but the amount of work we're getting is great. Character creation and choosing your own route are the two things I always want most :)

imported_Terran Starek
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:11:12 PM
Agreed, Fett.

I think it's gonna be cool that you can put saber-attack combos together with force powers. Like, example (I hope):

You slash, slash, kick, then Force push

That would be sweet. :)

ReaperFett
Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:28:44 PM
The mission in the test level we see from sounds great too. ancorific :)

imported_Terran Starek
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:57:43 PM
I wonder if we get to see a very downtrodden, teary-eyed Rancor Wrangler when we slay the beast! :lol

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:10:42 PM
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/features.htm

Sha-weet :D

Darth Viscera
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:31:54 PM
Originally posted by Terran Starek
Agreed, Fett.

I think it's gonna be cool that you can put saber-attack combos together with force powers. Like, example (I hope):

You slash, slash, kick, then Force push

That would be sweet. :)

I've done that kind of combo soooo many times in JK2. Just ask Fettish how many times I pushed him off the cliff after a good series of saber attacks :D

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:33:07 PM
Just remember how I used to whup you on Bespin :D

Darth Viscera
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:45:09 PM
I whupped you too :D

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:47:02 PM
I whupped you best though :)

Darth Viscera
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:48:11 PM
prove it! install JK2 again and come and whup me!

Droo
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:54:39 PM
Oh and I just used you both as makeshift floormops. :rollin

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:56:12 PM
Im on AOL now Vis, it's too slow to play anything.

Droo
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:24:35 PM
Sounds like an excuse to me! >D

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:51:49 PM
If you know anything about me, it's that admitted Im useless at something isnt something I avoid :)

Darth Viscera
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:01:59 PM
It's an excuse! He's afraid that I'll beat him on the duel of the fates map!

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:13:32 PM
No, you WOULD beat me. Im great on Nar Shaddaa because of WALLS :)

Oriadin
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:17:27 PM
I ultimatlely suck on the multiplayer on JK2. Any other multiplayer game and im not bad, but this one. Its embarasing! lol

imported_Terran Starek
Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:42:42 PM
I used to play it TONS. I was in a clan and all that. But I just wore it out, I guess.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:22:32 PM
I handed my roommate his own backside on every occasion we played. We had a dueling LAN party one night, and I beat him in 40 consecutive duels. He never once beat me :)

Captain Coruscant
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:07:55 PM
We used to have big school matches, ten of us in using only sabers on Bespin or Nar Shadaa Streets. ahhh... those were the days.

;; installs LOTR skins/saber mods and fights Nazgul to pass the time ;;

... sigh.

Lady Vader
Apr 4th, 2003, 10:41:00 PM
LOTR skins? For Outcast? Damn! I'd completely forgotten about those things!

Darth Viscera
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:54:36 AM
jk2files.com

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:58:17 AM
http://panic.hopto.org/swf/vega/bslappinkelt.jpg
http://panic.hopto.org/swf/vega/shot0000.jpg
http://panic.hopto.org/swf/vega/shot0001.jpg

bzzzzzoom :D

Darth Viscera
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:16:28 AM
Play ya :)

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:19:57 AM
Me and Sieken are having a match in a few minutes - once he gets the newest patch.

IP = 81.152.71.210

:)

MasterPewter
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:09:39 PM
http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/04/news20030403.html

From Start wars . com :)

MasterPewter
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:13:29 PM
ummmm starwars.com

Aaron Belargic
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:15:03 PM
Startwars.com - what a humourous typo :lol :D

Lady Vader
Apr 6th, 2003, 07:22:23 PM
:x Too many links on jk2files... so, um, where exactly are these supposed LOTR skins?

Nm... found the link. :)

Darth Viscera
Apr 7th, 2003, 12:12:06 AM
http://www.jk2files.com/search.files

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 06:58:06 PM
Trailer up here

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/jediacademy/

Jedi Master Carr
May 14th, 2003, 07:02:50 PM
It looks very cool, you get to fight a rancor :)

Lion El' Jonson
May 15th, 2003, 12:17:35 PM
I doubt fighting a Rancor will be that cool. All it'll do is run at you, bellow, and swipe with its claws. Fighting Dark Jedi in actual swordfights will be a lot funner than killing a Rancor...

Jedi Master Carr
May 15th, 2003, 12:40:29 PM
Well it would be cool to see one :p I think the stuff on Hoth (or whatever that planet is) looks neat.

Lion El' Jonson
May 16th, 2003, 09:23:32 PM
True, it does...for a few seconds, anyways.

I think that starring at a landscape made entirely out of snow for more than 30 minutes would drive me mad, though.

Jedi Master Carr
May 17th, 2003, 08:45:11 PM
I think you will be on Tauntauns more than anything else on Hoth. Also I like the whole thing where you can choose which mission to go on, it gives you more options and replay value.

Lion El' Jonson
May 17th, 2003, 09:50:29 PM
Ya, that's rather cool.

PC Gamer mentioned Jedi Academy in their latest issue briefly, in their review of things at E3 (which I desperately wanted to go to...:cry)

It was just a screenshot of a bunch of morons beating the crap out of each other with lightsabers, but it was so small and compressed that it could have come from JKII and I wouldn't have known the difference.

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2003, 09:01:28 PM
New pictures on the site show:

- Wampas!

- Tauntan Riding!

- Plo Koon's species as playable!

- SARLACC!

- Chewbacca!

Lion El' Jonson
May 28th, 2003, 11:19:51 PM
New pictures on the site show:

- Wampas! - Yaaay....

- Tauntan Riding! - Actually, that's pretty cool...I wonder if there's a built in Tauntan Racing Minigame, like Chocobo Racing in FF7...:lol

- Plo Koon's species as playable! - I honestly couldn't care less. I hate most of the Jedi Council Characters.

- SARLACC! - ...now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.

- Chewbacca! - But I thought he died...o_O

ReaperFett
May 29th, 2003, 09:06:12 AM
The Tauntans are in because people loved the AT-ST level, in principle at least.

Plo's lot look cool :D

THe Sarlacc comes out the ground a bit, smaller one.

And Chewie is dead at 25 years after ANH. Jedi Outcast was at around 13 after, and Acadamy wont be too long after.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2003, 10:30:24 PM
That is cool. I actually like Plo Koon's species, isn't his species called Kel Dors? That is what I gather from Guide to Characters.

ReaperFett
May 30th, 2003, 05:51:51 AM
Yeah, I checked up at TF.N. Kel Dor :)