PDA

View Full Version : SW Currency...

Solomon Daenal
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:06:07 AM
...what is it?

I know the generic name is "credits", but I was wondering if there are different forms of credits like Imperial credits or Republic credits. And what about the other systems that fall under neither the Republic nor the Empire, do they have their own form of currency that is not as widely received as credits? If there are different forms of currency, what would be the exchange rate?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. :D

Taylor Millard
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:09:20 AM
There is a difference between NR and Imperial Credits. I would think that the NR's would be more stable due to their power in the galaxy.

Someone thought up an exchange rate a long time ago...

I'll have to go back and look through my books.

FireKat
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:14:08 AM
daktaries = credits = chits, etc

As for exchange rate, that falls under the category of "way too anal for RP purposes". If it matters, make it up.

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:28:47 AM
The exchange rate was once mentioned to be something like 4:5, although I don't remember which way. I'm sure it fluctuates.

Darth Viscera
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:04:00 AM
Think of 1 credit as basically similar to $1,000.

The reason why I say that is because a TIE Fighter costs 60,000 imperial credits, a TIE Defender 300,000 credits, and military jets in RL cost at least 1000x more.

So if you think paying 40 credits for a meal is somewhat normal, allow me to introduce you to le dummy stick.

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:07:52 AM
Or maybe materials for ships are really cheap, while food is more difficult to come by? :)

Since there really isn't a smaller form of currency than credits (that I'm aware of), even 1 credit for a meal would be insanely expensive at that rate.

Darth Viscera
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:09:13 AM
I solved that a long time ago in my RPs, by using a "sovereign" which would be like $1 RL, and 1000 sovereigns=1 credit. Just made it up.

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:15:30 AM
... or you could just say that 1 credit = 1 dollar and ships are really cheap. :)

Darth Viscera
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:25:48 AM
Yes, if you want to maintain easily avoidable monetary inconsistencies. You might have a confusing situation where the cost of 2 freighters would be equal to the cost of a house, which would make no sense.

Sovereign makes more sense.

FireKat
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:31:00 AM
I tend to side with Nup on this one.

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2003, 11:35:44 AM
You might have a confusing situation where the cost of 2 freighters would be equal to the cost of a house, which would make no sense.Or the cost of transport to Alderaan is almost as much as buying your own ship?

Their economy is different from our's, that's all.

Alpha
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:29:44 PM
They actually mentioned in one of the books that there were things smaller then a cred (Han flips a coin one in one book), but I can't remember the name of it...

FireKat
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:40:24 PM
He flips a coin in ANH

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:51:56 PM
Did they state that it was something other than a credit? Because I'm thinking that electronic currency can only work so well across multiple planets, especially given the rather large criminal society. Plus, that's sort of been the impression I've gotten, anyway.

FireKat
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:59:03 PM
I consider the economy of the time more akin to WW2, where planes were relatively cheap. This is a galactic society in which flying about in crazy space machines is not a new thing. Its old as dirt.

Alpha
Mar 27th, 2003, 07:13:18 PM
I remember the name! A decicred. :) By the name, I'm judging that it is a credit. And in other books they mention physcial money like dollar bills and change in creidts.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:49:25 PM
SW currency is as varied as our own.

The NR and the Empire both operate using the "credit" system; actual physical credits can be acquired but most people prefer credsticks, which link to a bank account and act like a debit card.

In Heir to the Empire, Imperial scrip had a 5:3 ratio against New Republic scrip, but that number has since fallen because of the Empire's decreased importance and status.

NR member planets usually make transactions with other planets in credits, regardless of their home planet's currency.

Hart
Mar 28th, 2003, 01:19:03 AM
The reason why I say that is because a TIE Fighter costs 60,000 imperial credits, a TIE Defender 300,000 credits, and military jets in RL cost at least 1000x more.

60,000 dollars wouldn't be that little. I mean, the primary way of travel is small ships, and the TIE Fighter really isn't on the rare or luxurious-side of fighters. So one credit= one dollar wouldn't be that bad. Some of the more luxurious cars around today would go for only a little more than that. And considering any TIEs are mass-produced for the Empire (and thus any on sale would be used merchandise) and since X-Wings are rather old, it makes sense to have an equal exchange rate.

Oriadin
Mar 28th, 2003, 03:39:27 AM
I think Hart has a very good point there.

ReaperFett
Mar 28th, 2003, 04:43:45 AM
Think of 1 credit as basically similar to $1,000.
Luke's beaten up old speeder, worn out and outdated, would have been the way they got on the Falcon. Wasnt that 4,000 up front? So, that speeder is worth $40,000? No wonder he lived in rags! :)

To me, it is nearer to 1 credit: $1.5 or £1.

In Heir to the Empire, Imperial scrip had a 5:3 ratio against New Republic scrip, but that number has since fallen because of the Empire's decreased importance and status.
It never struck me as a hard and fast exchange rate. Only NR planets accept NR credits, only Imp for Imp credits. I hardly think
warring groups have an exchange rate :)

And anyway, easy way to get round this. Dont say. It's not as if you HAVE to give a number, is it? You can use descriptive words to indicate if it is a lot or similar. When one of my characters gives someone a large ammount of money, he gives a large stack of Datacreds or Datachips. Thats the equivellent of a wad of notes, and similar has been done in the novels. When haggling, simply put the emphasis on description, not words.

Tatooine has Peggats btw, which would be coinage. And Im sure that most places would have their own money as well as any "group" money they have. Imagine European countries having the Euro, but accepting their own money system also (Which they sortof did before the Euro coins came in existence, you could still buy in Euros)

Brask
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:23:03 PM
I read somewhere that there is such a thing as a decacred. 1/10th of a credit?

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:05:16 PM
Well, what does a credit even look like? I've been wondering that one for a while.

Kiltik
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:58:34 PM
My assumption, which could be wrong, was that credits were medium sized coins. However, hardly anyone actually uses them, preferring to conduct transfers with credit chits.

Think of a digital wristwatch without the armbands. Just a small little LCD display with the number of credits to be transfered on it.

Again, that's just how I write it. Could be wrong, but it works for me.

Sean Piett
Mar 29th, 2003, 02:33:37 PM
I always thought of chits as credit cards.

Seteth Morters
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:57:21 AM
i always reckoned 1 credit = 1 pound (1.5-ish dollars)

in general, if i have to use cash, i say "A handful of coin" or "Stack of credits" or something like that, to get an idea of how much i mean, but not actually say how much.

Captain Coruscant
Mar 30th, 2003, 04:08:37 AM
I rarely ever write the amount either. Just 'a lot of credits' or 'a small fee' or something like that. In the end, unless you're dealing with fleet matters, it's not a big issue.