PDA

View Full Version : Emmitt Smith is a fool

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:46:01 PM
He is going to sign with one of the worst teams in pro football the Arizona Cardinals now he is an idiot he could have signed with the Patriots or Bucs, sure for less money but with a winner. He is going to go out like Namath and Unitius and Tony Dorset playing for bad teams.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:49:22 PM
So? He obviously is happy with his rings.

He's going to have to retire soon, why not get the money while you can?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:54:18 PM
Yeah but the Cardinals have no line he will get beat up playing for them. And he has made plenty of money, the Cowboys are still paying him at least the bonus so why go and get hurt and become an embarrasment on a crappy team.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:58:18 PM
He wanted to go somewhere that he would be guarenteed to get carries. Teams like New England, Tampa Bay and Oakland can't offer that, even though they were interested. He's got three rings, he's the league's all-time leading rusher, he'll be a first ballot Hall of Fame entrant... his football legacy is safe.

Besides, it's a good fit for Arizona. Do you know how many people, both from Texas and Arizona, will go to Cardinals games just to see Emmitt play? Nice little revenue boost. Bill Bidwell is a horrible owner... almost as bad as Mike Brown... but this was a good move.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:02:17 PM
Yeah but it won't help them with wins, the Cardinals will still finish last their offensive line stinks, they have no defense and a below average QB in Blake they will win 4 wins at the most and Emmitt might end up getting hurt and probably won't even have a 1000 yards. I think he would have gotten carries in New England, he sure would have over Antowine Smith and the Buc would have started him easily, he is obviosly more interested in the money.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:09:20 PM
Buc would have started him easily, he is obviosly more interested in the money.

Mrrrrr probably not. The Buc's current rushing package is very flexible, and, as good as Emmit is, he's pretty old.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:15:07 PM
I think he would have started him there he might not got as many carries as last year but still.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:16:16 PM
You can't turn a team like Arizona into a winner overnight. Smith = butts in seats = increased revenue = improved ability to sign free agents. He's a durable player, he wants the ball, and the Cardinals will give it to him.

I don't see a problem.

Taylor Millard
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:18:15 PM
Exactly. Plus there are a ton of Cowboy fans in Arizona. Their attendance is going to shoot up.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:23:47 PM
I know but the Cardinals to me will never succeed there they should move to LA if they want to make more money, Arizona is too hot. I have a feeling that Smith will be leaving the game like Unitus and Namath hurt injured players, he probably should just retire, I am sure he has plenty of money.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:31:34 PM
What does Arizona being hot have to do with it?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:38:32 PM
I have heard football experts say that the desert heat makes it more difficult to play down there, they should have built a dome I guess. I know they have been a candidate for moving to LA for years not sure why they haven't consider how awful they have been in Arizona, they must have the second lowest W-L record to the Bengals in the last ten years.

Figrin D'an
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:52:22 PM
The Cardinals are pushing for a new stadium, which is why they need revenue now. Even at that, the conditions can be just as harsh in Miami, or Green Bay or Buffalo at the other extreme. I guess I don't buy into that excuse.

The major problem with the LA market right now is the stadium issue. The NFL will all but demand a new stadium for any transplanted or expansion franchise, and the city, county and state don't want to pay for it. LA had trouble supporting even one franchise... the Rams attendance was horrible, even after the Raiders moved back to Oakland. The NFL would need to see a serious commitment to supporting a franchise by the LA area... right now, that isn't apparent.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 06:59:03 PM
Well most markets won't let any league bully them into paying for a new stadium that is the problem in San Diego, heck they are a possibility to move to LA as well from what I hear. Personally I don't think tax payers should have to pay for stadiums since they don't serve the common good.

sirdizzy
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:49:58 PM
i never liked emmitt soi hope he gets smashed in the mouth every time he plays

his glory days were behind the best offensive line to ever play the game hell any RB would have looked good behind that line

lets see him run behind a line that barry sanders had to run behind year in and year out

CMJ
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:08:46 PM
The LA market doesn't get behind anything...except the Lakers. It's wierd.

All the other squads(colleges included) struggle with attendence. Well, the UCLA basketball squad can draw decent crowds. In football, nobody draws well. USC was terrific last year and they had a hard time filling the Colesium. Heck that had a hard time getting 60 thousand fans in the arena much less filling it.

It's kinda bizarre.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:53:27 PM
I thought the Dodgers were doing pretty well overall, they are supported well compared to other baseball teams. I am not sure about the Angels, though winning the WS should help.

Also about Smith this article from Clayton is pretty good.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1530042.html

I think he is too kind about Blake, he is no leader that is why Baltimore released. He said some bad things about him before they decided not to resign also some of his team mates didn't like him. Also I don't like depending on a guy who has been with 3 teams in 4 years.

JMK
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:06:46 PM
I won't pile on Smith for this, he's earned the right to end his career the way he wants. I would never go out on a losing team if I had the choice, but I'm not Emmitt Smith.

But if anyone is stupid, its the owners for not allowing each team to have the ball in overtime. What a dumb vote IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:08:59 PM
I agree there I guess they don't want to make a change like that.

Taylor Millard
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:58:46 AM
They prefer post-season controvery I bet.

Didn't the Giants complain about the overtime format? And then the co-owner votes against the new measure.

Where's the logic in that?

Jedieb
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:59:25 AM
I'm a huge Emmit fan and I grudingly have to agree with Carr. I was really hoping Emmit would have gone with the Bucs or another winner. Hell, even at 25 he couldn't have single handedly turned that team around. The only thing the Cards can give him is a shot at 19K or 20K yards. I think that's his goal now. He's got the rings, he wants to set the bar as high as he can. If he wanted another ring he would have gone elsewhere.

JMK
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:03:38 AM
I agree, he's the #1 guy there now. He wants to pad his stats once and for all.

jjwr
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:05:20 AM
What amazes me is that he's signing now instead of waiting until June when teams make the second round of cuts and sign the remaining free agents.

A lot more teams would have been interested and he could also watch the market, maybe a top tier team would lose a player to injury and he could have found a great situation.

Jedieb
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:11:21 AM
I don't think anyone else was offering more than the minimum. The Cards are going to give him between $7-8M over 2 years. That's way more money than I thought he was going to get from ANYONE.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:25:07 PM
The Chiefs were interested, he really should have waited to see what happened with Holmes their was rumors he might hold or that his hip injury could be a problem, I bet if either was the case the Chiefs would have gave him even more money.

JMK
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:28:50 PM
I heard that Holmes would be running full speed by June.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:36:50 PM
That is what they say but there could always be complications, I say its unlikely he wouldn't be healthy. The biggest problem is the contract dispute he wants a new contract because he is only be paid 2.4 million next year the GM said he will not give him a new contract he will give him an extension with a huge signing bonus but that is the best he can expect. Their could be problems it depends on how determined Holmes is to get that new contract.