PDA

View Full Version : This is so sad and pathetic..

Beldarine
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:38:36 AM
I really don't like reality tv shows like the Bachelor (although I did like Joe Millionaire, but that's because it appealed my mean and nasty nature.. and the show was over once Heidi got kicked off).. but I started watching American Idol this season.. and I have to admit..

I love that show. That and Smallville are seriously the only two shows I watch on TV now (well, except for Trading Spaces and the occassional History Channel documentary). I like the singing, I like the drama, and I love Simon.

And I have a confession to make (and my husband knows this).. I love Clay Aiken. His scruffy hair and big ears are just so adorable.. and that voice..

Does anyone else share this obsession with me? I was so disappointed when I missed the first hour of tonight's show...

Please.. dear god tell me I'm not alone in this. Or at least I'm not alone with 15 million thirteen year old girls?

Dae Jinn
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:42:12 AM
I've been watching it too (never watch reality TV, unless it's Cheaters! >D Cos that show makes me laugh my bum off!) And Clay has an incredible voice :) Plus, Josh is hot ^_^; Simon is mean and nasty. It's all good :D

Jacen Himes
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:49:17 AM
Clay is the man, for sure. He's by far my favorite. His voice is amazing. And he looks cool too. I like his look.

Also, he seems like a great guy, which I think should be the most important in an "Idol" contest. Sure, he can sing, but if he was a bastard I wouldn't want him being looked up to. And I totally dig that girls are swooning over him. That's awesome. It's like Richie Cunningham getting women like the Fonz. :D

Oh, you missed the first hour? Well, he was great as always. Shouldn't have to worry one bit about him getting kicked off. I'm really glad all those 13 year old girls love him, because that means he'll make it far. He desearves it and should win in my book. :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:11:58 AM
Reuben! 2-0-5...REPRESENT! :crack

Casual viewer would be an understatement. I only watch when I'm in the same room as a TV that's switched on, which is rare. I do enjoy Simon, and watching people cry. That is fun. Go Reuben...might as well *sorta* pull for a Birmingham guy.

Beldarine
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:12:07 AM
I don't know why.. I just want to run up to him and pinch his cheeks.

I agree with you.. He seems like such a sweet guy.. He truly is what the contest is all about. I get all giddy like a schoolgirl whenever I see him on the t.v.

It's kinda sad. But I'm glad there are other people who agree with me..

And I like Simon.. He just tells it like it is. Trust me, if they want in the music biz.. they'll hear much worse.

Sage Hazzard
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:29:06 AM
(this is Jacen btw)

Rueben kicks butt too. Velvet voice.

Simon's cool, man. You're so right Bel, they're getting their butt's kicked if they think Simon's mean. They'll be destroyed if he's crushed them. He's actually pretty nice, considering. I mean, he's signing them to his label, isn't he? It's like an interview/audition. He has to put his backing into the winner. This is his living and he's going to have to represent the winner, so he's going to give his opinion. And he has the right.

I actually think Paula's the meanest. Every performance is good to her! She's ruining these kids, letting them think that's good enough. They need to be told they suck if they want to get better, otherwise they'll keep doing the things that make them suck.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:29:17 AM
What's this Americal Idol?

Sage Hazzard
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:33:22 AM
OMG, I guess you don't get that down there do you?

Well, let's see... It's a singing competition, where mainly young 18-21ish year olds come to compete. They keep nailing it down until finally it's the best one. The three judges decide who gets down to the final 30 or something, then it's voted on who gets to the final 12(by the fans) and then the fans vote on each episode(where everyone performs a song) and votes someone off each week. Then the winner gets a million dollar record contract and becomes a star. :) Pretty groovy. :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:35:17 AM
No, it sucks balls, but there's marginal entertainment, due to malicious enjoyment of human suffering.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:38:05 AM
Oh god, you got a USA version of Popstars :x

Fitting revenge from Australia for the horror of other reality shows.

Sage Hazzard
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:42:18 AM
Well I like it. :D

Darth Viscera
Mar 19th, 2003, 05:18:22 AM
My mom watches that show every time it comes on, on my 100" TV. Did I mention that I have a 100" TV?

:cry

married!

Dae Jinn
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:41:59 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Oh god, you got a USA version of Popstars :x

Fitting revenge from Australia for the horror of other reality shows.

You want horror, watch the CANADIAN POPSTARS!!!!! :lol

Both of the groups that have been created from that show have died, thank god. But, I mean, we didn't even have GOOD people in it. :lol It's sad.

Zasz Grimm
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:58:00 AM
I watch it every now and then, when I did I was going for Reuben. He's a cool guy!

Morgan Evanar
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:04:36 AM
Television? That means I have to get up and go to the other end of the house, and I can't talk to my friends.

Whats the point?

If in house-then
on computer. != tv
If out of house-then
out of house !=tv

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:07:35 AM
I watch our version, just for Simon Cowell, who cracks me up :)

I can think of a good 7-8 programs I always watch if on, at least :)

Beldarine
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:40:42 AM
Fett.. Simon's on your version as well? He's great..

Sage, you really think she's the meanest? I don't really think anyone is mean on that show.. she's just way too nice. She needs to tone it down a little and stop fawning over everyone. I guess you are right, though.. she gives them an idea that they are good enough.. and Randy and Simon shoot them down. Then they get all mad and ticked off at the other judges. Weird.

This week I think Julia DeMato or Carmen Rasmusen is gone tonight. Carmen does this weird warbling thing with her voice that just makes me want to smack her.. and Julia.. her outfit was terrific, but she sounded godawful.

I actually downloaded a clip from the show so I could watch my Clay sing "Somewhere over the Rainbow." That's so sad.

Now.. Canadian and Australian popstars? I don't know about that. And DT, did you guys get the scourge of "Survivor" over there (which would be kind of interesting since one of the "Survivors" was set in the "Outback")????

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:43:54 AM
Simon was on the original version of 'Idol' (Pop Idol) over here, and he was the only reason I would occasionally switch onto it - just to see him put down these whiney BSB wannabes.

That and Darius.

;):lol @ Fett.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:46:28 AM
Bel, Simon is English :)

I dont diss the people on it though. To win it means you have talent.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:47:55 AM
To win Pop Idol you don't need talent. You need looks and a small amount of talent.

That Fame Academy thing needed talent though, since you needed to write your own music/songs, etc instead of just doing cover after cover of other peoples stuff.

Beldarine
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:51:02 AM
Well, I know he's English, Fett.. I just didn't know if they started their series before or after American Idol.

Fett, to win means you have talent.. But there are some people along the lines who suck so badly, they need to get made fun of. They showed a couple of episodes that were the "best of the worst" for auditions. Now those were hysterical.

These people had the worst voices, and I"m not kidding you.. worse than mine, and that's hard to do.. and they thought they were IDOL MATERIAL! It was great to watch Paula Abdul's face just twist into a grotesque show of horror when they were singing, and half the time Simon didn't say anything.. he just laughed ..

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:56:11 AM
Yeah, the early episodes were the best ones :)

And Dasq, Darius wrote his own :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:58:06 AM
Looking at his lyrics, that doesn't suprise me ;)

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:59:17 AM
He got his record contract on his merits, not Pop Idol :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:01:29 PM
If he hadn't been on Pop Idol, he wouldn't have gotten a chance. It's a good springboard to fame for people :)

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:03:35 PM
Not true. The record person he gave his tape too was from the US, never heard of the program :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:05:48 PM
I stand corrected :D

But still, you have to admit that other people involved in it - i.e. 'Liberty X' - ended up just getting a contract because of being on th show, and usually not winning.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:09:21 PM
True, but they didnt win ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2003, 04:27:44 PM
I've thought about trying out for American Idol, but I'm pretty sure I'd spend my whole experience in tears. :\

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 04:41:26 PM
We'd vote for you :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 05:21:35 PM
I wouldn't :) I've seen you sing.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 05:40:45 PM
Did you HEAR her sing? :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:04:21 PM
I've seen her sing. That's enough for me.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:09:50 PM
Surely hearing is more important?

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:31:17 PM
Maybe. She'd have to have a great voice though. Her facial expressions are hilarity, and I'd lose focus.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:32:58 PM
Jim Carrey-funny?

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:55:41 PM
Like "chick on Ricki Lake" funneh

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 06:56:38 PM
...you're evil :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:20:29 PM
Seriously...watch her webcam. Sometimes you can catch her in the act. Its awesome.

ReaperFett
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:27:45 PM
..."in the act"? :)

And I cant remember seeing it. Jawa impression yes, but not singing :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:48:07 PM
You can tell when she's doing it. Trust me :)

Loki Ahmrah
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:57:01 PM
I can just imagine! Bless her little cotton socks. :lol

Sanis Prent
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:28:42 PM
Originally posted by Loki Ahmrah
Bless her little cotton socks. :lol

Careful or SHE WILL EAT YOUUUU!!! :lol

;) (hug) we luv ya Holly-Wolly. :)

ReaperFett
Mar 20th, 2003, 02:49:17 AM
Bless her little cotton socks? Now theres a saying you dont hear much :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 20th, 2003, 02:54:11 AM
I dont' OWN cotton socks!

ok that was a lie, I do.

....it must be noted at this point that my webcam and connection to the internet do not operate at the same speeds. So....my "singing face" is distorted by the webcam.

Also, we all know the camera adds ten pounds. ^_^;

And Charley, Patton has heard me sing, just ask him. *HMPH*

ReaperFett
Mar 20th, 2003, 05:32:06 AM
All we need to do is get her drunk in a Kareoke bar while using a tape recorder, and we'll all hear! :)

Leeloo Mina
Mar 20th, 2003, 06:38:12 PM
I hardly ever watch reality TV shows.. I watched Joe because I was curious as to what the women would do when they found out he didn't really have much money.

I watched an episode of amercian idol because I was flipping through and saw that one guy clay and was like "heeeeyy... who's that?"

Beldarine
Mar 20th, 2003, 10:12:23 PM
He is so cute, isn't he?

I just like it because you get to hear moderately good singing.. and Simon is just great. I love hearing him rip apart people who did poorly.