PDA

View Full Version : Academy Award Nominated Shorts

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2003, 05:55:14 PM
I saw all the nominee's for Best Animated Short Film and Best Live-Action Short film today. So here are some really quick reviews. If you wanna know more ask.

ANIMATED
The Cathedral

Visually spectacular. The story is kind of non-existant, but this film is more about visuals and panache.

The ChubbChubbs

This is one hilarious short. Alot of homage is paid to scifi films(like SW). The animation is great too.

Das Rad(Rocks)

Who would imagine a short about acouple of rocks watching time transpire would be so damn funny...but it was.

Mike's New Car

The short that was on the 'Monsters Inc' DVD.

MT. Head

Man disappointing. To me it really had nothing to offer.

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORTS

Fait D'Hiver

A film with 2 twists. Kinda funny - and sad.

Inja(Dog)

A film that argues what you do might come back and haunt you.

J'Attendrai Le Suivant

Rather amusing, romantic short. Until the end rips the ground beneath you.

This Charming Man

A charming little movie. Nice romantic comedy about race and mistaken identities...not to mention the job market.

Figrin D'an
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:28:30 PM
I remember seeing The ChubbChubbs in the theatre, and I've seen Mike's New Car. That's it though... I haven't seen any of the Live Action Shorts.

I like The ChubbChubbs quite a bit... the sci-fi nods were great, and it was just a funny short. :)

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:31:30 PM
I'd say my favorites in each category were...

ANIMATED
The ChubbChubbs

LIVE ACTION
This Charming Man(Der Er En Yndig Mand)

I have to admit it's a tough decision on both though. Some really worthy stuff overall.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:37:53 PM
The ChubbChubbs was great. In front of MiB2, if I recall correctly. I haven't seen any of the others, but how can Mike's New Car be better than For the Birds, which was the short shown in front of the movie?!

Wait....The DVD was this year and the movie was last year, huh. N/m I answered my own question. ^_^;

ReaperFett
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:41:44 PM
Academy Award Nominated Shorts
No pastel ones with pineapples? :)

Not seen any of them, but I can see ChubbChubbs winning, due to more people seeing it. It also might get a few "My friend did this" votes.

Figrin D'an
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:42:23 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
The ChubbChubbs was great. In front of MiB2, if I recall correctly. I haven't seen any of the others, but how can Mike's New Car be better than For the Birds, which was the short shown in front of the movie?!

Wait....The DVD was this year and the movie was last year, huh. N/m I answered my own question. ^_^;

Despite that they were different years... I'll agree that For the Birds was better than Mike's New Car.

I like The ChubbChubbs best of those three, though. :)

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:44:51 PM
"For the Birds" won the award last year.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:15:20 PM
Good.

:D I pay hardly any attention to the Oscars, other than Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor/Actress and the Supporting roles. Like the average American.

I also like to wonder what it would be like to be paid to wear expensive designer clothing that was tailor made for me.... *daydreams*

ReaperFett
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:16:50 PM
Go get my three metres of fabric, and Ill make you one!

You didnt say it had to be GOOD :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:18:07 PM
Expensive. Designer. You are neither. :mneh

ReaperFett
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:18:54 PM
I'll charge a fortune. I will have to design it first. I win :)

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:32:03 PM
Obviously I pay more attention that "normal" folks. I can usually rattle off the costume winners for years. Pick a normal category and it's likely I remember who won (if it's recent at least). I have a wierd encyclopedic memory about such things.

I'm normally lousy with the Documentary and short categories though, because I rarely see the nominees.

ReaperFett
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:41:16 PM
Which is the problem in itself. Has every academy member seen every short film or documentary?

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2003, 10:00:36 PM
To vote in certain categories like Foreign Film and Documentary feature it has to be verified that you have seen all the nominee's.

I'm *assuming* the same holds true for the shorts.