PDA

View Full Version : GJO Staff

TheHolo.Net
Mar 18th, 2003, 02:17:53 PM
IUs asked to look at this <a href=showthread.php?s=&threadid=28173>thread</a>. I plan to look the issue over and give my opinion later today.

End of line

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 18th, 2003, 03:22:37 PM
First, we don't assign Masters at GJO. Which, yeah, is a problem but it is easier for people to pick Padawans because they know they have the time to teach them. :) Unfortunately, me personally, can account for every Padawan that is in the GJO. I personally don't remember Lance asking for a new Master. I -could- be wrong or it was just so long ago :\

Well, the first link .. He doesn't 'take' damage. Or write it into his posts. He does also seem untouchable.

Force Blindness is pretty heavy duty ...I must admit, and what is this Fire creation with the swords o_O that seems more sith like then anything.

wtf is a Force wall again and isn't that a Knight move?

Okay, two ways to solve problem and I agree with LD ... we either promote him or assign a master. I opt for the second because there are a few things in his abilities that make no sense and the fact that he doesnt let others 'hit' him or 'take' damage isn't fair IMO

shoot me down now :mneh

Figrin D'an
Mar 18th, 2003, 04:02:30 PM
I need to ponder this a bit, but here are my initial thoughts...

... "taking of damage" is an issue that needs to be addressed in general. It's not just a problem with Straffe. There are many RPers that mold their combat threads in a similar manner.

... the "Strider" techniques have been addressed. IIRC, Lance bascially gave up on them since they were causing so many arguments. My understanding was that the other Stormriders would follow suit. Perhaps they didn't get the memo.

... Force Wall is a legitimate move, although in the context of the thread in question, it's dubious at best. It's unlikely that someone of padawan skill-level would be able to pull it off at all, much less with such a degree of ease.

... we have Straffe provide a list of his RP's and battles, to determine if this is a trend beyond these three threads. While considering him for promotion is a possibility, I would rather base such a decision on a greater pool of information. Admittedly, I don't know him that well, and I don't deal with the Stormriders in general. Others may be able to provide more insight.

IMO, this is a borderline GMing case. I need to think about it. To some degree though, it's important to keep in mind that, if there is a difference in authoring ability, a good writer will find ways to exploit what his opponent leaves open to interpretation.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 18th, 2003, 04:40:27 PM
WTF is Force blindness?

He fliped a switch that was on the handle of the sword. It was quickly ignited into a sabar. The baby blue aura reflected off the walls of the room

Illegal.

As for how he RP's, it's GM'ing, not too bad but it is.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 18th, 2003, 04:56:06 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
... "taking of damage" is an issue that needs to be addressed in general. It's not just a problem with Straffe. There are many RPers that mold their combat threads in a similar mannerI tend to agree with this statement and think that perhaps the issue should be dealt with in a manner that will assist many people with understanding the "give and take" that should be associated with combat style RP.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 18th, 2003, 05:08:43 PM
Maybe a friendly essay, posted to Avalon entitled "How to roleplay?" Soething that is info filled and helpful as well as quietly correcting?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 18th, 2003, 05:10:09 PM
My thought in a nut shell, yes.

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 18th, 2003, 06:36:55 PM
coo coo with me but that doesn't solve the first issue :p

Ryla Relvinian
Mar 18th, 2003, 10:03:19 PM
Ok, someone just give him a hint. Please.

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:49:59 AM
well besides the general post in avalon by Marcus :)

Fig-man and I talked a little over AIM about the situation ... we thought a gentle PM would be best but agreed to wait on what others think.

AmazonBabe
Mar 19th, 2003, 05:05:34 PM
WTF is Force blindness?

If you've ever played JK, the light side has the bility to "blind" their opponent for a few seconds (can't remember the exact name of the power, but it might be Force Blinding). It's basically a bright light generated by using the Force into the line of site of the opponent, giving them a bit of a "white out". You can still make out some shapes (light colored shapes are more difficult to see than dark colored shapes). The effects are not permanent and only last for a few seconds depending on the power of the user.

The PM sounds like a good idea. Dealign with this privately would definitely be better than out in the open.