PDA

View Full Version : Question about Coding...

Alpha
Mar 18th, 2003, 12:27:38 PM
Ok, when you're using HTML/XML/Java/whatever to make websites, how do you make a [password protected area? There's this one part I only want like three people access to, and a pass pro would work great. Anyone know? :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:47:33 PM
It is done server side with a .htaccess file on UNIX servers, as for Windows web servers I am uncertain. It cannot be accomplished through HTML/XML or javascript, but probably could via PHP, ASP, or CGI. (JAVA would probably work but wouldn't be very reliable nor quick since many XP users don't even have a JAVA VM)

BTW: Many inexpensive hosts do not allow PW protected areas on their servers.

My advice: Find out what type of server you are hosted on (UNIX or Windows), find out their policy on PW protected areas on their sites, and also find out what types of scripting works on your host (PHP, ASP, CGI-BIN). Once you have that information search some free script sites for what you need for your type of host or for information on how to add a .htaccess file to your site.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:58:43 PM
http://javascript.internet.com/passwords/gatekeeper.html

or anything on http://javascript.internet.com/passwords/ if you just want something quick/easy

TheHolo.Net
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:59:46 PM
:lol I could probably crack a javascript PW protected area in seconds..... Just so you know.

Javascript = plain text code, easily accessable via "View Source". :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 18th, 2003, 02:01:08 PM
Note to Alpha: do not show site to Green :lol :mneh

Sameer Aryan
Mar 18th, 2003, 06:05:24 PM
www.tripod.fr allows you to create password protected areas, and has pretty simple instructions too. But it's in good ol' French :p (prolly tripod.com has the same features in English)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:07:36 PM
It is done server side with a .htaccess file on UNIX servers, as for Windows web servers I am uncertain. It cannot be accomplished through HTML/XML or javascript, but probably could via PHP, ASP, or CGI. (JAVA would probably work but wouldn't be very reliable nor quick since many XP users don't even have a JAVA VM)

Few ways I could think of on the top of my head for NT servers. HOWEVER, using scripts / code or languages to control passwords can be broken. To really get any type of flie or directory security, you need to ACL (Access Control List) and that normally means setting permissions on a directory. I dont think web hosts generally will allow that as that normally needs heightened access privledges. Maybe directory ownership will allow that.

as for Windows web servers

... anyone who think IIS can be made to run securily, needs a good kick in the head. Firewall / NAT / DMZ needed or expect your system to be owned. And even then, I'd use Apache. NT itself can be secured very well.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:26:53 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
:lol I could probably crack a javascript PW protected area in seconds..... Just so you know.

Javascript = plain text code, easily accessable via "View Source". :)

He's right. I learned in seconds... it takes plain logic to crack javascript password protected things.

Alpha
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:46:52 PM
Originally posted by Sameer Aryan
www.tripod.fr allows you to create password protected areas, and has pretty simple instructions too. But it's in good ol' French :p (prolly tripod.com has the same features in English)

Hmm...since Tripod is in league w/ Angelfire, you think AF would have it too.

Hey, Big Green~ :) Thanks for the advice. The good thing is the person I'm keeping this portion from has no idea what source is. lol.

Thanks guys! :)

Jacen Himes
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:56:04 AM
You could just go the easy route and name the page something odd. Like "apehatebannanasreally.html", then give that URL to the people you want to see it. Simple and easy.

Now that'd be dumb to do on an e-commerce site or something. But I'm guessing this is a little website that's kind of private, personal, not many people coming in unless you yourself give them the url. So it'd be a simple way of hiding that page from casual viewers. :)

Might sound dumb but it's real simple and is basically like giving a password encrypted area, except the password is the url. :)

Alpha
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:15:21 PM
Ya know, I never thought of using that...:) Thankies! :D

James Nairalix
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:32:33 PM
Speaking of "View source"

I find it hilarious when webpages "Disable right click" using javascript on their site, so I cant take images.

I'll take the hint and not take images, but if they're really rude in their little pop up message.

IE: "HA! You little thief! Thought you were gonna steal huh!"

Then I'll copy all their images, zip them, and mail it to the webmaster and say "I WASNT STEALING! I WAS BORROWING!"

and the name of the zip would be something like "takethemback.zip" or something like that....
:D

I have no life

Destiny Stormrider
Mar 20th, 2003, 04:41:03 PM
:lol yeah I know, it's like "What's the point of disabling it?!". Some people wouldn't know how to get them throught the source (yeah I know some pretty dumb ppl, ppl that don't know how to change their screen resolution) but most ppl DO know....

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 20th, 2003, 04:43:51 PM
Originally posted by Destiny Stormrider
:lol yeah I know, it's like "What's the point of disabling it?!". Some people wouldn't know how to get them throught the source (yeah I know some pretty dumb ppl, ppl that don't know how to change their screen resolution) but most ppl DO know....

But not many. Most PC users have absolutly no idea.