PDA

View Full Version : Eight Years Ago (closed)

Beldarine
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:05:11 PM
OOC: This was started about two years ago in a thread by DT. It started out as just everyone writing seperate stories of what their characters were doing eight years ago. At the time, I wrote the beginning part to more fully develop Beldarine.. Even though I am cutting and pasting the first half, I'm going to still split up the posts. To me, they are almost akin to chapters. Now I'd like to finish it. It's closed to everyone.. thanks and enjoy :)

IC:
**A ship cut through the expanse of hyperspace, locked on the planet Tatooine. Beldarine Del'Anar dozed at the controls, the lone person aboard. It had been so long since she had been back to this planet. Today marked the third anniversary -- how could such a sad occasion be termed an anniversary -- since the day her life was turned on its head. Three years since her surrogate mother disappeared without a trace. Three years spent barely eeking out a living as a bounty hunter, searching frantically for any evidence for what happened to Chimeia. Her mind drifted back in time; it always surprised her how vividly she remembered everything about that day. Chimeia had left to run errands, taking only a blaster from their small dwelling near the outskirts of Mos Espa. Hours turned into days, and still no sign of her mother. Contacting the "authorities" did no good, and even help from the Hutts was nonexistent. So much for favors. Her body never showed. Chimeia had simply disappeared, leaving everything she owned behind.

**Three long years Beldarine jumped from clue to clue, searching for even the slightest hint that her mother was still alive. The woman's lightsaber was laying in the co-pilot's seat. How many times had she been tempted to simply give up and become a Jedi?

It's a hopeless pipedream anyway... Who would expect me to become a Padawan?

**With a soft touch, she caressed the blaster at her side. It was getting closer, she could feel it. Bel needed this mark to stay alive financially -- needed it bad enough to return to Mos Espa. Rising, she wiped a tired hand across her eyes. Deep, dark circles engraved themselves into her face, mute evidence of her uneasy sleeping schedule. She was on the verge of exhaustion but that was of no matter. Money was what mattered today.

**Bel made her way to her small office in the hold slowly. Her legs felt stiff, and her head ached -- how long had it been since she actually felt good? Again, not a question she wanted to ask herself. Glancing at the papers, she went back over the mark's name.

Matrim SunKiller

**She always had to laugh at that name -- it was so theatrical in a sense. The man had double crossed the Rengallie Crime Family one too many times, and his lease on life was about to expire. The Rengallie's were very explicit in their instructions, and her payment would only be received upon delivery. A orange light went off, alerting her to the proximity of their target. Her legs felt shaky as she reentered the cockpit, strapping herself back in. Reaching up, Bel disengaged the hyperdrive jerking the ship back into normal space. She began to close in on an orange and brown colored planet. Tatooine. Her heart was in her throat as she maneuvered Chimera into the planet's atmosphere.

**Suddenly her thoughts did not rest on her mark, or the Rengallie's restrictions. Suddenly the only thoughts that reverberated through her mind were -- Tatooine. Chimeia. Home.

Beldarine
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:08:55 PM
**She stepped out of her ship's hold, down onto the barren ground of Tatooine. Shading her eyes with a hand, she surveyed the landscape. The unrelenting beige of the sand stretched for miles. In the far distance, Beldarine could make out a cluster of buildings, a city -- Mos Espa. The sand undulated from the heat of the twin suns, and soon the woman was covered with a thin sheen of sweat. Once, long ago, she had been used to the heat. It was obvious that was no longer the case. She wore tight fitting breaches of the deepest midnight blue and a sturdy white tank top. Around her waist lay a bandolier holding three pistols. Two more were fastened to her upper thighs by leather straps. The hilts of two vibroblades protruded from the tops of her boots. Another vibroblade rested in the small of her back, sheath hanging from the back of her belt. She carried a Prax Arms Dart Shooter on her hip, the darts coated in a toxin powerful enough to put an bantha to sleep for days.

**Glancing up at the sky, she squinted. It was still early morning by the looks of the suns' position, but she had much work to do. Reentering the hold, she grabbed a blue linen cloak, dyed to match her breaches. Clasping the thin silver latches, Bel arranged the cloak around her shoulders and pulled up the hood. Her heart pounded inside her breast. Inside a hidden pocket in the cloak, she placed the papers from the Rengallie family detailed the methods used to capture the man and bring him back, they also contained his description. Slowly the ship's hull closed as she walked away from it. Bel knew Chimera would still be there when she returned, it had many nasty surprises for would-be thieves.

**Her eyes were blessedly warded from the suns' dual rays, hammering her like she had never felt before. The linen cloak tried to afford her some comfort in the miserable heat, but it did not help much. It seemed like forever had passed before she walked into the outer limits of the decrepid city. She was soaked in sweat, god how she hated this planet. Her tank top clung to her, but she paid it no mind. Attempting to ignore the tremendous heat as best she could, she kept moving towards her target. The streets were familiar to her, and she followed them with ease. It was early, she reckonned she could deal with her mark later.. now.. Beldarine could confront something much more personal. With a start fueled by recognition, Bel stopped in the middle of the busy street. Every now and again her cloak would billow open, revealing the multitude of weapons she had on her. This would explain why, even in the crowded streets, people went out of their way to avoid her. Another reason might have been the look on her face -- it did not entice people to mess with her this day.

**A sign in front of the shop she stared at read "Millo Gianna's Armory." Gia.. how long has it been, old friend? How long since I left without saying goodbye? I wonder if your brother is there..... Thoughts swirled through her mind at a rapid pace. Did she wish Gia's brother to be there, or was she afraid? Her legs moved involuntarily, walking towards the opening to the small hut. Her hand reached out to part the curtain that hung in the doorway, and she stepped through.

**The room was dark so it took a few moments for Bel's eyes to adjust to the contrasting dim light. Blinking her eyes, she tried to rid herself of the blackness that clouded her vision. She saw a woman standing behind the counter, amid dozens of weapons in every shape and variety. After her vision had adjusted, she noted the woman's features. She had not changed much in the three years since Bel had left. Hair as blond as a wheat field fell in layers down the womans back. She was thin, but not unhealthy looking. Her grey eyes seemed as hard as agates, almost hidden by long black eyelashes. Millo Gianna had once been a slave, but her mother bought her freedom years ago. Hers, and her brothers. Bel felt like she had known them forever. Even though she had been gone often enough with Chimeia, Tatooine was their home. This had been her closest friend once a upon a time, but Bel had left. She did not know how the woman would react.

**Gia spoke, in a low voice. "Welcome to my armory, guest. Feel free to look around, I am here if you have any questions." The woman looked her up and down, the cloak had parted slightly, revealing the numerous weapons Bel had on her. Her face must have been hidden in the shadows cast by the hood. With a sigh she reached her hand up, removing the hood from her face.

"Hello, Gia. Do you remember my face.. it's been.. too long."

**The woman stared hard at her for a few moments before a light of recognition dawned in her eyes. Standing up abruptly, she knocked over the chair she had been sitting on. Gia rushed over to her, and the old friends caught each other in a rough embrace. Tears streemed down both womans faces as they clung tightly to each other.

"My god Beldarine..." She brought her hands up to touch Bel's face, "I thought you died... disappeared the same as Chimeia. We grieved for you so long, hoping that maybe you would come back. They never found either body.. what happened?".. She could barely talk, her surprise had robbed her of the power of speech. Gia began to guide her towards a chair and they both took their seats.

"It is a long story, Gia, but I will shorten it for you.. You know that Chimeia disappeared a few weeks before I did. We searched for her ourselves. I could not figure out what happened, and I was afraid. If I had told you I was leaving, you would have convinced me to stay.. especially.. Javin. So I had to leave quietly. It broke my heart, but I had to go. I am sorry for causing you unneeded anguish --but I needed to find Chimeia."

**They looked at each other for a second before Gia answered.

"I understand.. I am happy you are still alright, we were so afraid. Javin especially so. He loved you, Beldarine. He still does. Have you found out what happened to your mother?"

**Bel shook her head sadly,

"No.. No... I haven't found her yet.. All the clues seem to be dead ends.. One thing after another keep placing themselves in my way. All the signs point to her being alive, though why or how she disappeared without a trace can't be figured out." she sighed, trailing off.. she was afraid to ask the next question.. her heart pounded.. "Javin.. how is he? Is he still helping you run this shop?"

**The woman frowned for a second, but it was quickly masked by a smile

"He still helps, occassionally. He has a new enterprise that he says will make us rich. Won't tell me what it is, that stubborn boy. He isn't here right now.. Working on his "business" he says.. He will be back by lunch time. I am sorry about Chimeia. Now.. what are you back here for? Even if you were alive, this would be the last dungheap I'd expect to find you. Have you followed your dream?"

**The eagerness died in Gia's voice as she watched Bel's expression become grim. It had been a childhood dream of hers -- to become a Jedi Knight. Fueled by Chimeia's sparse Force lessons, she had always dreamed of serving the Jedi -- defending the galaxy against the dark. That dream seemed all but out of reach now, the light behind it slowly fading into the distance.

"No.. The Jedi are a different path from the one I walk. Maybe in the future, but .. it is all a dream.. an unreachable dream. I am still bounty hunting to make a living. I don't do it that often, just enough to make a living for a while. That's why I am here... a mark by the name of Matrim Sunkiller lives in this area... my boss gave me explicit instructions on his capture, but I was ahead of schedule anyway.. I figured I'd stop in and say hello."

**Her eyes seemed sad as she continued. Her heart lodged in her throat every time she said the man's name. Her love, the one she had loved since the day she first laid eyes on him -- was she really going to see him again? Thoughts tumbled through her head that he might have been with someone else, but all she wanted was to feel his embrace again. Bel was startled as the memories flooded back; she had hidden them away so long ago to aid in forgetting Javin, forgetting Tatooine.

Beldarine
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:13:00 PM
"I would love to see Javin again... May I stay for lunch?"

**Gia's eyes widened in surprise at the question.

"Of COURSE you can stay for lunch, Bella !!! My lord, do you think that twelve years of friendship would just dissolve!!! Please.. stay.. it would make me soo happy to talk with you again."

**Bel smiled at her answer. She would have been shocked by any other one, but it still pleased her to think that Gia still thought of her as a sister. They chatted for a long time, the light slowly dimming past the curtain. Gia did not have much money, and her apartment was attached to the small shop she owned. Four simple rooms -- two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a living area -- were decorated plainly. Placing a thick stew on the fire, she turned back towards Beldarine. They continued the talk at the kitchen table.. discussing details from the past three years.. waiting for Javin to show.

**Gia rose occassionally to stir the stew and check on the loaf of bread warming near the fire. They mostly talked of inconsequential happenings, picking up their friendship like they had not seen each other in three days rather than three years. Bel sipped some tea from a delicate cup while they discussed unimportant matter, simply enjoying each other's company.

**Gia's head straightened as though she heard a noise. Bel listened, and heard the light steps of a man moving through the armory out front. Gia rose quickly, grabbing Bel's arm. In a hushed voice, she instructed her to go into her bedroom and hide.

"Bel, go.. I want to surprise him.. hurry"

**At her urgings, Bel quickly darted into a bedroom. She had some sense of the dramatic, but Gia was going a bit far afield in her opinion. All she wanted to do was see Javin again -- her heart beat wildly in her breast. Images and pictures flashed through her mind as she listened cosely for voices in the main room.

"Javin, just in time for dinner.. take off your shoes and leave them out there.. They're muddy.. What the frell have you been doing??"

**The sound of someone taking off their boots drifted faintly through the door's opening. A man's laughter was heard,

"Yes, mother. Jeez, sis.. when did you become all stuffy,"

"When you started coming home looking like you rolled in a large mud pile. How do you get so dirty.. and what's that white stuff stuck to your hair??

**A startled silence followed her question.. and then the sound of someone furiously brushing their hands through hair, evidently trying to erase whatever "white stuff" Gia had been talking about.

"Nothing.. um.. nothing sis.. Don't worry about it. But anyway, how was your day?"

**Bel could almost see Gia frowning at her brother before the woman began talking again.

"Actually.. my day was wonderful.. I have a surprise for you.. close your eyes"

"Sis, I'm not going to..."

"Close your eyes, dammit."

**A grunt emitted from his throat as, Bel guessed, he complied with his sister's demands. A hand suddenly poked through the doorway and grabbed Bel's arm. She allowed herself to be dragged into the room. She stopped as soon as she laid eyes on him. He was exactly like she remembered -- perfect. His sandy blond hair was kept short and pushed back. He was wearing a short tunic and baggy breaches that tucked into leather boots. Bel couldn't move, hell, she could hardly breathe. Gia smiled, standing between the two of them.

"Go ahead, Javin.. open them, Surprise"

**He pulled his hands away from his eyes, staring first at Gia, and then at Bel. When his eyes came to her, he froze into place. Her cloak was laying folded on a stool, but her white tank top clung to her curves, and her midnight blue breaches were nice quality.. her black boots were shined to perfection. His gaze never left her face, they seemed to be in suspended motion.

"Bella.. oh my god.. I thought you were.. gone.. That I'd never see you again.."

**Her statis broken, she rushed into his arms. They enveloped her tightly as she pressed her face into his chest. Tears started falling down her cheeks as he brought his hand around, and lifted her chin up. Their eyes locked as he softly brushed a tear away.

"There, there... Bella, I always told you, you're too pretty to cry. My god, sweetheart, I still love you so much, what happened?"

**She couldn't talk, just stayed locked motionless within his gaze. His green eyes were beautiful and clear, so deep. Everything disappeared but herself and her love, finally locked together again in an embrace. How many times had she dreamed of this? How many nights had she lain awake, longing to feel his arms holding her tight. They leaned forward, and their lips met in a passionate kiss. Their first kiss in over three years.. little did she know, it would be their last.

Beldarine
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:18:50 PM
**Happiness surged through her body as the kiss ended and she looked into her love's eyes. It was shocking, almost jarring, what she felt. After three lonely years of desolate travel, killing strangers for money, Beldarine was finally home. The urge to stay here permanently was strong, but she was harder now. Perhaps a year ago, she would have stayed. Simply called the Rengallie family and asked them to find another hunter -- though that would have put a mark on her most assuredly. But though the temptation strong, she knew what she had to do. She held Javin's hand as they all made small talk, waiting for Gia to finish the stew.

"After lunch, my friends.. I unfortunately have something to attend to, it might take me a while..." Beldarine stated, smiling slightly.

As she lifted the heavy, hot, pot of stew off the fire, Gia turned and asked if Beldarine could stay for dinner as well.

**Thoughts whirled in Bel's head -- the Rengallie family were very set on the instructions. They would know if she did not do as they requested, and then.. she'd be dead. She fought herself on the wish to stay here longer -- but she had to bring the corpse back to the family as soon as possible. Sighing, she shook her head.

"Gia, I'm sorry.. Unfortunately, I'm here on business. I need to report to the family who hired me ASAP.. so, unless I can't find him, I won't be coming back for dinner. You know me well enough. If I have a job, I do it.. No matter what the cost to my own feelings."

**Disappointment showed on Gia's face, though she did try hard to match it. "It's alright.. I know," she said, trying to sound happy.. "I'm sure you will visit us again soon.. Next time when you do not have dirty work to take care of."

**Bel smiled, at least she was still welcome.. and the idea of returning to this kind of warm and cozy place was appetizing. "Of course I will return, Gia. Three years is way too long. I might even take an extended vacation after this mark, he's worth a lot.. I'll visit then, I promise." She winked at Gia as she served the stew -- a thick, hearty concoction of potatos, meat of some kind, and different vegetables. Bel was starving and surfed through three entire bowls -- she realized in the middle of the second one she hadn't eaten any breakfast. She leaned back in her chair, stretching..

"This meal was excellent, Gia.. I had forgotten how good of a cook you are. I haven't felt this full in months!"

**Javin laughed as he cleared the table, he had been silent the whole time they ate.. just content to listen and stare at Beldarine. "That's because you ate three whole bowls, Bella.. my lord, have you not eaten for a month?" Bel grinned and shook her head. If you called what she ate food, then she had eaten very well.. Otherwise, it could be said she hadn't eaten for a month, and she told them so. They all continued to laugh and simply enjoy each others company while they cleaned up from lunch. Bel leaned outside a small window and checked the suns, it was getting towards midday.. time for her to leave. As she reached a hand for her cloak, Javin's closed around it.

"I know you need to go.. but just.. walk with me, for a little while. No longer than an hour, I promise.. then you can go along your way.. We should just, talk a bit." He smiled unsteadily, waiting for her answer.

"Javin.. I..." Bel hung her head; she never could refuse him anything. "An hour, that's all.. But, I will go walking with you."

**He asked Gia if she needed any help and as she declined, they both threw on their cloaks and disappeared into the bright afternoon light.

Beldarine
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:25:01 PM
**Their gait was slow as they meandered through the crowd, his arm wrapped tightly around her waist as though they had been wed. He leaned over once or twice to kiss her lightly on the cheek, and squeeze her stomach.

"I've missed you, mia Bella.. more than you could possibly imagine" His green eyes seemed to dig into her very soul as she glanced up.

"I know Javin, but you have to understand why I left. Chimeia was my mother, maybe not my biological.. but .. I knew that if I had told you, or Gia, that you would have convinced me to stay... and I couldn't have done that."

**He smiled sadly, "Would that have been so bad, mia Bella? Staying, I mean? I know you loved Chimeia, but you loved us as well. You could have entered into the shop with us, we could have gotten married.. Now that all seems so distant, would you give up your search now.. three years into it.. to return to me. I'm sure life 'out there'" He gestured his free hand towards the sky, "is much more interesting than on this dirt ball of a planet."

**Bel snorted and smiled derisively. "More interesting, Javin? I guess if you can call eating thin wafers meant to sustain life on a short budget just to live interesting. Or how about the weeks where I don't sleep for four days straight, and even then.. on the fourth night, I can't sleep because of night terrors?" She stopped walking, and stood to face her love. "Javin.. My life is miserable. I kill just to squeeze by a living. My dream of becoming a Jedi is now all but gone. I barely eat, I barely sleep.. I will spend weeks searching a good lead for Chimeia's whereabouts, just to have it disappear into thin air like it never existed. I have been shot more times than I can count. I've had marks placed on my head, I'm constantly running. Now tell me, how is any of that more interesting than your life down here? You have a happy home with your sister. Your shop may not make you rich, but it does make enough for you to get by pretty well."

**They began to walk again, Javin's face introspective as they strolled by the shops hawking their alien wares. "I'm sorry, my love.. Why don't you stop running, return down here? I have waited three long years to hold you again, I won't let you get away this time. Drop your business off with whatever family you need to, and come back. I am working on something that will make us all rich, we could even sell the shop and never have to work again!" A strange light burned in his eyes, fervent..

"Whatever it is, Javin, just be careful.. I don't know what we would do without you." Bel glanced up; they were at the back of their home. Entering into the small portal, Bel ran to Gia and gave her a strong hug. They clung to each other for a while before Bel wiped away a tear.. "I promise I will return, Gia. Promise, ok?"

**Gia smiled and nodded, not trusting herself to speak. "Be careful, ok? No good if you return dead." The shop door opened and immediately Gia grimaced.. "Always at the wrong times!" She nodded to Bel one last time, and ran into the shop. Bel stared out the doorway to the shop for a moment before she felt Javin's arms circle around her. He squeezed her tightly, leaning down to whisper "Please be careful, mia Bella. I need you to return, my life is nothing without you." Beldarine's eyes locked onto his and nodded. Breaking away, she whispered she had to go. Winking at him, she quietly exited through the back door. Javin watched the doorway for a few moments before sighing. He walked into his room; it was almost time for his job to begin.

Beldarine
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:30:54 PM
**Beldarine trotted a fair distance away from her friend's home, checking to make sure she wasn't being followed. She pulled her hood over her head, and turned down a small, dark alleyway. Leaning up against a building, she unfolded the parchment that contained the orders and description. Matrim Sunkiller. Average height, around six feet. A little on the thinner side, yet still built like a stronger man.. His face was dark, whether natural or a dye, and his hair white. His eyes were green, and he always wore black. Tight fitting black breaches and a loose black tunic were his usual attire. The clothing was always very fine, and accompanied by a black silken cape. Her lips pressed together as she nodded.

The idiot will stick out like a sore thumb, wearing all black like that.

**No one wore all black in the middle of the day in Mos Espa.. especially in the summer. Too hot, too conspicuous.. too.. outlandish.

Oh yes... very easy to find.. This makes my day a whole lot easier.

**She hummed softly and smiled as she finished reading the letter. They had set up a fake meeting with him to straighten everything out -- maybe she would get lucky, and he would show his gullability by showing his face-- but nobody truly expected him to show up there. The rest of her day just included keeping an eye out for a black clad man. The rest of the instructions detailed his demise. It was the gorriest she had ever dealt with, and it turned her stomach just slightly. Most families just wanted a bullet to the head, and the body as proof of death, but not the Rengallie's. They wanted revenge. A blow dart anywhere on the body to incapacitate. Take him to an abandoned building and question him, torturing him until she had the answers to their questions. Just two, very simply ones. First, where was the money he stole from them.. and second, why did he do it. That was the one she was most interested in -- why doublecross the most ruthless crime family in this galaxy, did he think he could get away with it? Then, the worst part. Drag him to the nearest square, proclaim publically his sins, then take his head... and bring it back to us with a witness who can verify they saw the entire event.

**Disgusted, she spit as though there was bile in her mouth. She folded the paper back and slid it into a pocket in her coat, just as she got ready to move.. a flash of black appeared and vanished out of the corner of her eye.

The hunt begins...

Beldarine
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:24:52 AM
**Beldarine began to follow the black-clad man through the streets. It was almost time for the meeting, and he was moving in the right direction..

Maybe he is stupid enough to attend it. He must not understand the situation and the danger he is in...

**Bel began to murmur underneath her breath as she stalked the man in front of her.

"I hate killing innocents.. even if they are my mark.. But I guess the family wants to make an example out of him.. especially considering the amount of money I'll rake in for this kill."

**She sighed as she turned down a dark alleyway -- down one that held a few ladders leading to the rooftops. Many of the building's roofs were slanted, shielding her from the inquisitive eyes of citizens below. She jogged slowly towards the meeting place and crouched down, peering into the thin alleyway below. Her heart began to beat faster, the pounding reverberating in her ears. She always became nervous before a kill; there were so many factors that could go wrong. It was not that she was afraid of dying, or at least that was what she told herself. Wiping sweat from her brow, she looked at the suns..

Almost time now.. He should be here any minute...

**Almost before she finished her thought, a hooded man swept into the alleyway.

**Clothed completely in black. Bel sneered as she stared at the man. Her boots made little sound on the rooftop as she crept around, angling for a better position. Coming around so she was facing his back, Bel measured the man. He was exactly how they described him, there would be no mistakes today. The darts were too powerful to be used normally -- she didn't want him unconscious for a week. Since she didn't want her innocent little mark out for so long Bel began considering her options, her hand slowly drifted towards a dart. Gripping it in her hand, she jumped.

**She somersaulted in the air before landing behind him with a soft thud. He turned slightly, startled at the presence of someone behind him.. but before he could catch a glimpse of her face, Bel's left arm whipped around to cover his mouth. Her right arm swept up, the dart piercing through the black silken cloak. The needle-sharp end nicked the man's neck, just barely drawing blood. The man's limbs began to slacken, and quickly became limp. He hadn't even the time to let out a squeal. Bel realized how nice it was doing business in a place like Mos Espa -- even though they were mere feet from a populated road, the citizens knew better than to take notices of events outside of their knowledge.

**She dragged his body a few more feet into the alleyway until she reached a small door. The room had been vacated the previous month, and no one had moved in to claim it yet. Kicking the almost rotten door open, Bel pulled the victim's body through and moved it into a chair set over in the corner. She pulled two long ropes out of a pocket hidden deep in her cloak and proceeded to bind the man's arms and legs behind the chair. It wasn't a fairly comfortable position, so she was sure he would wake soon. The man's hood still hid his face, but that was no matter, she sat in a chair opposite from him and waited.

**Beldarine began to hum as she removed a vibroblade from its holder on her boot and began to toy with it. The man grunted as he woke up, noticing he was bound. He began to struggle as the effects of the toxin wore off. Smiling, Bel shuffled her chair closer. The noise made the man stop for a second before redoubling his efforts.

"Oh, don't worry, my friend.. You are quite secure, Matrim Sunkiller, is it?" She proceeded without giving him a chance to answer, "You might want to listen to me, if you answer me quickly and correctly, your pain will remarkably lesson. You, my dear dear friend, angered some extremely powerful people. Actually.. anger isn't the right word.. you enraged them." Bel unclasped her cloak, and settled it on her chair as she rose. The man had stopped attempting to escape, and sat there with his head bowed. "It seems you have stolen some of their money -- a rather large amount -- by cheating them. Now, my little thief, that wasn't the smartest of all moves to make.. and I am their solution to their little problem." Her boots made small clicking noises as she moved over to her mark. Her hand slid under the hood, to his chin, and began to caress it softly. Bel removed the hood with her other hand, and lifted the man's face so she could look him in the eye.

**With a start, Bel scrambled away from the man and screamed.