PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Website Designs.

Oriadin
Mar 17th, 2003, 04:43:24 AM
Im gonna have a crack at creating my own website as and when I get time but I could do with some tips on what looks good and what doesnt. Whats the best way of setting the site out etc.

It would help me out if you could post some links to your favorite websites where you think they look/feel good to use.

Janus Versa
Mar 17th, 2003, 07:49:49 AM
www.marilynmanson.com - the man is a creative genious in every sense of the word and as such, his site follows suit. Give it a quick look, it's very retro styled at the moment.

ReaperFett
Mar 17th, 2003, 08:52:42 AM
Not sites, but some tips that I would give. As usual, this means 90% of the people will disagree, but who cares? :)

- Remember, a lot of people use 56k modems. Dont have every page load a 1MB image.

- Only use sound if there is a good reason. Sound when you rollover a button is fine. MIDI music for no reason isnt :)

- Remember that not all thinks that work on one browser will work on another. For example, Netscape isnt good at IMapping. Consider working round it, or giving alternate methods.

- Dont put too few sections in. If you're too vague, you can confuse people.

- Similarly, dont have too many, as it clutters the listing.

- Always have a way to get back. If you use frames, remember to have something in the actual content that would get back the frames.

- If you're showing A LOT of pictures, consider using thumbnails. If you're using a mecha-gargantuan ammount, consider multiple pages.

Dae Jinn
Mar 17th, 2003, 09:29:27 AM
*agrees with Fett* :)

For the love of God, don't mix a million different fonts on one page!!!! :x I hate when I see someone using thirty different typefaces all mashed together, it looks horrid.

Also, pick a color scheme and stick with it. If all the pages are relating to the same topic, make them the same basic colors.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:49:41 AM
- Remember that not all thinks that work on one browser will work on another. For example, Netscape isnt good at IMapping. Consider working round it, or giving alternate methods.

Old Netscape, pre Gecko. If you're using it, you're free to flap in the wind. No one should support it.

I listen to music, and I get pissy about sound. There is pretty much no reason for it to be there.

People who use imbedded midis should get beaten with large spiked sticks.

Broadband helps you apreciate well compressed and designed sites too. They load instantly. Everyone wins when a bit of thought and compression is used.

I want, at most, 150 k to load per page. Ideally it should be around ~50 unless its a gallery of some sort.

Zack Morrison
Mar 17th, 2003, 02:28:19 PM
www.shadowness.com if your going to dabble in Flash