PDA

View Full Version : Computer maintenance failed.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 17th, 2003, 01:54:42 AM
There is definitely a problem with the hard drive on my PC. What that problem is, I'm not certain, but upon installation of Windows 2000 Pro, I had some immediate problems with the computer locking up, followed by the repetition of this problem until I had the same resulting error message as I did with XP.

Either something mechanical is wrong with the drive, or there is a worm hiding away in there.

Again- still online, still posting, but can't do late nights now that Spring Break is over, and can't do gaming either. I may also randomly be restricted from the internet without notice.

Good night!

Figrin D'an
Mar 17th, 2003, 03:26:30 AM
You try a low level format on the thing?

But, yes... sounds like the drive is dying... Hard drive prices are very good right now. Just replace it and you'll be better off. :)

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:37:32 AM
What is happening each time is the root program that runs windows, be it 2000 Pro, or XP, is being corrupted and deleted. The operating system as a whole is still there.

What is not known, however, is the exact cause. It could be the drive is malfunctioning a particular sector that Windows happens to install it's root program on. Or, it could be that there's something in there that's been in there for a while and is still there in spite of several drive reformats, from Fat32 to NTFS.

Whatever the problem is, I definitely need a new drive. I just hope the extra memory card in that computer hasn't been corrupted/infected, because to reuse it would be cheaper than purchasing a new one.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:45:39 AM
RAM is completely independent from your HD. But you could also have bad memory. My dad's box had bad RAM in it and I couldn't install windows.

Figrin D'an
Mar 17th, 2003, 03:30:18 PM
I've had bad RAM cause OS crashes before as well... :\

I had one box I worked on a while back that had a failing hard drive, a bad set of RAM chips, and a wacked-out modem... problems that string together like that are the pits...

AmazonBabe
Mar 17th, 2003, 06:31:19 PM
No late night gaming?!?!?!?!?! :eek

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! :cry:cry:cry

:: sniff :: :(

:\

:|

Well, my only hope is that your comp get fixed soon so I can be all :D again. :)