PDA

View Full Version : Fresh-Faced Mercenary Seeks (Completed)

Janus Versa
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:59:38 PM
Work. It had become the sole driving force behind each and every day of Janus' life as a bounty hunter, a profession relatively new to him but that is not to say that he lacks the experience in such work. Quite the contrary is the case for this armour-clad individual whose identity is by preference kept anonymous. He is quite short for someone in his field of work, but with a strong frame and a confidence which oozes from him, even his stride is laced with a touch of self-assured arrogance. His voice even moreso.

"I have a meeting arranged with your boss and I don't like leaving my ship unattended on this back-water hellhole. How long?" He snapped unceremoniously to the doorman; a tall, imposing trandoshan gaurd who snorted with offense to the remark about his homeworld. The reptillian eyes narrowed and he hissed his reply that his employer is inside with his personal therapist.

"Therapist? What is he; stressed or something? Your boss lost it?" Janus interrogated, his question was sarcastic and rhetorical, perhaps through the fliter in his helmet the gaurd failed to recognise this and gave the curt resonse that is was in fact a beauty therapist. The bounty hunter went silent, scoffed then took a seat, laughing to himself at the revelation. He squirmed with impatience having not become fully accustomed to wearing the body-encasing armour, grunting with dissatissfaction.

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 16th, 2003, 12:18:12 AM
Crei's therapist wasn't exactly a therapist. Instead, it was a young woman, whose skin was still darker than his. Currently, the 'therapist' was giving him a full rub down focussing on his upper back with her hands.

"Ooohhh," his silky voice uttered, as her hands went over an especially tight spot on his back. Another two rubs and the spot was gone.

"Sir?" a voice, his Twi'lek advisor, said from the door, "Your afternoon appointment is here. Janus Versa is his name."

Crei's white hand rose and the therapist stopped rubbing. The crime lord rose from the padded bench he was laying on, then walked softly across the crimson red carpet where he picked up his robe (a silk, spotted robe) and put it on his white body.

The Albino then turned and stared at his advisor.

"Very well," his voice said and he poured himself a glass of wine.

"Send Mister Versa in."

The Twi'lek bowed and exitted.

Kimiiki Crei's life had gotten difficult in recent months. His chest, once pristine and muscular was now marred by a single spot on his chest. A spot where a blaster bolt, from the pithat Aurelias Kazaar, had punctured his skin. It still ached at times and sometimes, Crei woke up at night sweating in his cool sheets. The nightmares were beginning to go away, but he still lusted for revenge.

And now he had the opportunity to give it. An 800,000 credit bounty on the head of Kazaar. Crei had also taken out two private contracts, but that was no one's business but his own.

He sipped his wine from the crystal glass and waited.

When Janus Versa walked in, his armored body *clanking* Crei rose.

"Mister Versa, thank you for coming. You are an unknown amoung most bounty circles. But I assume you are here about the Kazaar bounty?"

Janus Versa
Mar 16th, 2003, 12:46:52 AM
"That I am." Came the reply, short and blunt. There was a brief moment of silence that followed, behind his visor Janus scrutinised the man who stood before him after all it was the first time he had ever laid his eyes on the infamously vain crime lord. No doubt Crei did likewise but disguised his curiosity by allowing his well-manicured hands to be a source of distraction. The bounty hunter grinned and broke the silence.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Mister Crei." Even when burdened by his armour, the rookie mercenary managed to stride forward with natural fluidity. "We wont shake hands; mine is gloved and yours is manicured. So let's get right down to business, shall we?"

In agreement, the pair took their respective seats although the crime lord sat first then after realligning a mirror on his table - no doubt so as to admire himself at all times - he remembered to invite his company to join him. Janus resisted the urge to laugh out of pity for the man he saw before him, his amusement was fortunately well hidden behind the mask he wore. At a distance, the bounty hunter resembled someone in the fabled Mandalorian armour but this was more sophisticated and composed of many small parts for improved manouverability.

"I don't know how much you know about me, naturally, I am well aware of yourself as your reputation preceeds you. My intention here today is to become acquainted with my future employer." Janus' voice was supported by his foundations of confidence, his presumptious words enforce that but he figured it would be best not to beat around the bush.

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:21:03 AM
"I know you are much like most of those who wear the famous Mandalorian Armor," Crei replied, taking another sip of his wine, "You rarely show your face.

"And you fashion yourself after the famous Boba Fett."

A pity, the crime lord thought, He's not actually Fett. The lucky Hutt Gorgja has him on permanent retainer. It's no wonder I never heard from Boba Fett when I placed the bounty. Gorgja probably forbid it.

Crei looked down at his finger nails, inspecting them. They were impeccably clean and well-manicured, but he could still see one bit of dirt on them. After removing a nailfile from his desk, he removed the speck of dirt.

"Now," Crei looked back at Janus, "As for employment."

He leaned forward, "Do you wish for this to be a permanent employment?"

Janus Versa
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:03:02 AM
"Well, if there ever was anyone a bounty hunter should set there standards by, it's Boba Fett." Janus confirmed from his seat. Although the tone of his voice was gruff and course, his posture portrayed someone of an almost noble upringing, he sat up straight and was alert. His hand gestures were few and subtle, most of the time he'd have them clasped in his lap.

"Well, when you say permanent employment, I don't like to be tied down. I don't want to become a bounty hunter who spends more time with his boss than out hunting his enemies. I am not a bodygaurd, Mister Crei." The hunter was careful not to fashion his words like a demand but ensured he made clear his views. "Then again, you wont need me to tell you that. I can show you. I will bring you Aurelias Kazaar."

Across the chest of the bounty hunter ran a strap which stretch from his right shoulder down to his left hip where it adjoined a belt across his waist. These were laden with pouches and clips and a variety of explosives. On his thighs were two blaster pouches, bearing thin, chromed blaster pistols and on his back was a peculiar looking device resembling the design of a wheel, it was located on the right shoulder blade. Janus was armed to the teeth and he liked it that way. His suit had been designed with a great deal in mind and he fancied himself ready for almost every possible scenario he would come across against this Aurelias Kazaar.

"So tell me, why do you want to get your hands on this scumball?"

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 16th, 2003, 04:02:40 PM
"Kazaarrr," Crei sniffed and almost snarled, as he said the hunter's name, "Has broken my organization twice."

He took a sip from his wine, happy it began to dull his anger.

"The first time, he had help...from the Imperial, Taylor Millard. I was imprisoned for crimes against the Empire."

Beneath his desk, the albino crossed his legs into a more comfortable position. He spread his toes, feeling the fine carpet beneath them. It felt lucious and he loved it.

"The second time..." he sighed, like a reptile letting out air, "Was a mistake. The Jedi...Estelle Rrrussard rescued him from my clutches here on Transdosha."

Crei parted his robe, showing the scar from the blaster.

"Kazaarrr...left me this...presenttt..."

He leaned forward, "I want Kazaarrr alivvve. But that condition...is negotiable."

The 'Chalk Man' smiled like a snake.

Sting
Mar 16th, 2003, 04:15:57 PM
"Because he does Rookie. You never question the 'pocket' about his motives on the 'mark'. Sting walked in unanounced. His twin dragon Katana's strapped to his back in the style of his Warlord Master Dalamar.

Tossing up a Medallion Sting fired a projectile from his wrist pinning it to the wall. "I accept the bounty." The silver tipped spike detached as a small laser appeared. The likeness of Aurelias Kazaar was carved into the Medallion. It then dropped onto Kimiiki Crei Desk. "The real thing will follow soon."
Sting bowed and nodded to the new Bounty hunter. "Good luck Rookie everyone has to start somewhere. This place is as good as any."

Janus Versa
Mar 16th, 2003, 04:49:14 PM
"Luck is for a man who doesn't believe he can ger the job done." Janus replied, looking away from the new arrival after his performance. He was more intrigued with Kimiiki, he was a curious character in both appearance and demeanour with a history which could open doors to a promising career for the armoured mercenary.

"Then this is more than business, Crei, isn't it?" He asked, his question rhetorical and Janus leaned in closer to the pale-skinned crime lord. "This is personal which makes my hunt all the more fun."

In the silence, Janus shared a moment with his "pocket" as so eloquently put by the other bounty hunter in attendance, it was almost like he was making an unspoken promise to the Chalk Man. Behind his helmet, he grinned then stood. After taking a moment to look down to the likeness of Kazaar on the table, Janus made his way around the table and crouched down next to his seated company.

"Your enemies are mine. Twice have you lost face to this slime, how embarrassing that must have been." He whispered close to Kimiiki's ear, his voice raspy and cold through the mouth filter of his helmet. "You, Kimiiki Crei, respected and powerful crime lord of the underworld, outdone and outsmarted by a bounty hunter and his girlfriend." The bounty hunter could almost feel the anger seething from the white pores of the crime lord. Standing once more he walked around the back of his chair he continued.

"How many men did you lose? How many credits did it cost? How much business did he steal?" His words were deliberate and malicious, he was feeding fat Crei's grudge against the mercenary. He crouched down once more, this time on his blind side, he whisped once more.

"I will make him pay for what he has done. So how better to break Kazaar than to see his good Jedi friend suffer? I will bring them both to you, an offer you cannot refuse; two for the price of one."

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 16th, 2003, 05:00:29 PM
"Mister Versa," Crei said, smiling, "If you were to do that, I'm fairly certain I can get more employment for you."

Crei regarded Sting for a minute. It was bad for business, to come in unannoucned. The Albino never liked it when guests came without saying they would.

But to get rid of Kazaar...he had to make certain sacrifices.

"You are...Sting are you not?" his silky voice directed at the new hunter, "I have...heard about you. You come with good references.

"I will say I am happy Mister Versa asked what's at stake with Kazaarrr. It's nice to know that, for a newcomer, Mister Versa is willing to know all he can about his target before going after him."

He smiled, "It shows the willingness to learn. I have always appreciated that in those who I employ.

"Tell me, Sting. Where do you plan on starting, in your hunt for Kazaar?"

Janus Versa
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:46:42 PM
"Sting?" Came Janus' voice as he repeated the name. He stood from where he was once crouched next to Kimiiki and casually walked back around to his seat. "Isn't that the kind of thing insects do? You know, the really small, annoying ones that buzz around all day. They make me laugh, trying to look big except when it comes to the crunch, they're nothing more than a bug. Just waiting to be squashed."

The bounty hunter laughed at himself and how blatent his attempt to get a rise out of the other mercenary had been. He only did this to amuse himself although he believed - to an extent - in what he said, it seemed to him that this Sting was out to impress the Chalk Man with fancy tricks and nimble hands. Janus then reclined into his chair once more, this time facing Sting. He had just been asked a question and after what he'd just said, Janus thought it best to not take his eyes from him.

Sting
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:57:04 PM
"Tell me, Sting. Where do you plan on starting, in your hunt for Kazaar?"

"I have my methods, which I will let do my talking for me. The mark is being tracked as we speak. I only came to make my prescence known to the buyer. It is customary for smooth buisness relations to be notified on any impending bounties.

"Sting? Isn't that the kind of thing insects do? You know, the really small, annoying ones that buzz around all day. They make me laugh, trying to look big except when it comes to the crunch, they're nothing more than a bug. Just waiting to be squashed."

"Vice Versa is it? I would mind your toungue and your manners. Crei please make sure Anus Janus is not here when I collect. Good Day to you sir."

Sting laughed inwardly at the rookie his games would gather him no merit. If he wished to play the part of the fool it didn't bother the Mercenary. He was all buisness.... Turning Sting nodded and left the room.

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 16th, 2003, 11:20:04 PM
"Before you leave, Sting," Crei said, checking his fingernails again for dirt. Seeing none, he checked the carpet where Sting had entered. His eyes thought they saw little microbes of dirt, sitting there mocking him. The droids would be in soon enough.

"I think Mister Versa would do well to learn from an experienced hunter. Why don't you take him along with you. That way, you two can track Kazaar together. As I might have work for the both of you later."

He folded his white hands and smiled.

Janus Versa
Mar 17th, 2003, 07:43:23 AM
"So he's one of those 'strictly-business' types" Janus observed of Sting, he smirked at the other mercenary's name-calling, he had a sharp tongue and perhaps Janus deserved it after what he'd said. He laughed and realised that it would be an entertaining hunt now that they were to work together at the order of Kimiiki Crei. Behind the dark visor, he cringed at the thought. Janus liked to work alone, as did most bounty hunters he suspected but he had another reason on top of most bounty hunters to not want to work with another. Too late to object now as it appeared the crime lord had made up his mind.

"What d'ya say, Sting?" Janus chimed in, by the sound of his voice it was clear he was amused and almost certain that Sting would hate this turn of events. "Fancy showing junior the ropes?"

Sting
Mar 17th, 2003, 10:37:47 PM
"Crei I do not work for you. I work with you. If you want your bounty hunter to accompany me, I will expect to be paid for my time. I think an extra 9,000 should do it. As I have costs to think of."

"But I am open to future relations with your outfit if things go well. Lets just say for now we are on a trial basis. You and I can judge for ourselves if this will be beneficial to all parties involved."

As for you 'Janus' if you accept my terms I will take you on. First keep the attitude it suits you but save it for others I have no use for it. Second all bounties will be split 70/30 in my favor. Thirdly you will follow my orders. I have reasons for what I do and I am not in the habit of explaining myself to others. The 30 percent is yours even if you do nothing. Also I will train you, feed you, and outfit you as needed. I suspect you have your own ship and weapons?

Janus Versa
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:08:14 PM
"Seventy-Thirty?" Janus stood abruptly in protest. Fists clenched at his sides and the anger boiled up inside of him at Sting's presumptious demands. Turning to look at Crei, the armoured bounty hunter was met with a glance that said: "They're his terms; take 'em or leave 'em". Janus groaned with frustration then threw himself back into his seat resignedly. He had to remember he was the new kid here and should expect to be treated as such.

"I'm no toddler, Sting." He grunted, raising a hand he gestured through the window behind the crime lord. "I have my own ship and supplies. This isn't my first hunt, y'know. so don't expect me to start suckin' your nipples!"

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:21:42 PM
"Enough!" Crei said showing a rare show of emotion. He hated being emotional it was so...what was the word....distasteful.

"Sting...the addition funds shall be paid to have Janus accompany you if Mister Versa decides he wishes to."

Crei folded his hands and again spread his toes in the lush crimson carpet.

"As for the splitting of funds...even I can play fair...I suggest a split of 55-45. 55% to you...and 45% to Mister Versa."

Sting
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:42:31 PM
60/40 that’s as fair as it is going to gets. If Janus can adhere to the rules. Should his 'attitude' be directed toward me again I will end this agreement. I frankly do not have time to hold his hand but as a concession to you I will accept him.

Stings black armored body seemed fluid in its movements as if molded to the man. "Do not move." the bounty hunter said. He raised his arm pointing his Stinger at Janus and fired a small projectile into his chest. A crab like apparatus buzzed into and attached itself onto his Armor. Sting raised his hand showing a silver bracelet. "We are now connected we will leave at your word Crei."

Janus Versa
Mar 18th, 2003, 12:02:12 AM
Up until the point when he had a tracer blasted onto his chest the man behind the mask had been wearing a pleased grin at the notion that he would be getting paid more than what Sting had previously offered. Now however he was seething with fury, he hated being treated like a child and wondered when the more experienced bounty hunter would be bringing out the harness and feeding bottle.

"Very well." He said finally, taking a look down at the device on his chest the mercenary then stood and faced the Chalk Man. "Mister Crei, remember what I told you. I wont let you down."

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 18th, 2003, 12:31:51 AM
Crei nodded and smiled.

"Very well, Mister Versa...Mister Sting...I wish you luck on your hunt."

He leaned back in his chair...then spoke again.

"It's rumored...he was on Chandrila a few days ago. However, he has disappeared since then. His ship, The Flying Dutchman, is still there. Knowing someone as Kazaarr...I suggest you check the local planets...Ralltiir, Kuat- his home planet I might add, and Coruscant.

"It's worth a chance. Good hunting."

Then he took one last sip from his wine glass and motioned for the two hunters to leave. They had a job to do.

Janus Versa
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:26:34 AM
Both bounty hunters went for the door, Janus walked rather casually allowing Sting to walk out first then without hesitation he hit the control and the door closed between them. With the flick of a second switch, the door locked sealing Sting out and Janus in with the Chalk Man. He grinned at his own ruthlessness then turned and shrugged.

"It's alright, Mister Crei, he knows where I am." The mercenary laughed, pointing to the tracer on his chest, finding humour in the most peculiar of moments. "Considering he interrupted our meeting so rudely--" Janus took his seat once more and truned in it to face Kimiiki. He leaned in conspiratorially.

"--I have one last question. It seems that the problem with our targer isn't capturing him, it's keeping him." The bounty hunter stifled a chuckle and spoke quietly. "Twice you had Kazaar in your possession and twice he has eluded your clutches. How did he do it?"

Kimiiki Crei
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:31:51 AM
Crei paused, "He had a Jedi companion, Estelle Russard both times.

"And help from the Imperial, Taylor Millard. But I highly doubt Millard is helping Kazaar...my sources tell me, Balmorra has their own problems right now."

Crei closed his eyes, "Estelle Russard though...is an idea. Good luck Mister Versa. May you hunt well and remember...I want Kazaar alive."

Janus Versa
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:37:51 AM
"Keep the Jedi at bay and the rest should, by Hutt's fortune, fall into place." Janus observed with a change in his tone. The wheels were turning in his head and he stood, thanked Crei one last time then departed.

"Ah! It was good of you to wait for me. Shall we?" He could be heard talking to his hunting partner with a laugh. Then two headed down the hall.

Sting
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:56:30 AM
Sting waited for Janus to arrive outside the blast doors. They walked mostly in silence except for the chuckle of Versa. "Set your ship on auto pilot and have it meet us at these coordinates. You will travel with me we have much to discuss."

Sting hit the control button on his forearm and his ships doors opened wide. Aranthol sat at the controls. Stings ship runner.

"Well?" was all Aranthol said? "We have the job but we took on a passenger meet Janus another bounty hunter." Sting replied.

Did the tracer work? Aranthol nodded. "Play back the tape for me please." Sting said.

"--I have one last question. It seems that the problem with our target isn't capturing him, it's keeping him." The bounty hunter stifled a chuckle and spoke quietly. "Twice you had Kazaar in your possession and twice he has eluded your clutches. How did he do it?"

Crei paused, "He had a Jedi companion, Estelle Russard both times.

"And help from the Imperial, Taylor Millard. But I highly doubt Millard is helping Kazaar...my sources tell me, Balmorra has their own problems right now."

Crei closed his eyes, "Estelle Russard though...is an idea. Good luck Mister Versa. May you hunt well and remember...I want Kazaar alive."

"Keep the Jedi at bay and the rest should, by Hutt's fortune, fall into place." Janus observed with a change in his tone.

Janus heard something that was at first quite chilling. Sting laughed. "Ahh Versa you are so funny. Sting concentrated and the armor flowed from his face. "You’re going to fit in well."

"Aranthol get the man a beer we have a new partner." Sting smiled. "I'm hard when it comes to business but not when it comes to the job. That act is mostly for the 'pockets' sake. All I expect from you is to follow my orders and we will get along fine. Now tell me about yourself and what you wish to learn from this experience?" Sting said with a smile.

Janus Versa
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:30:58 AM
If Sting could see through metal, he would have caught Janus rolling his eyes in annoyance. The mercenary's hands came up and folded across his plated chest in silent protest but this time he wouldn't whine about how he was being treated. This is Sting's game and he had to learn to play by his rules until he could beat him by them.

"The beer can wait." He finally spoke up then casually took a seat and immediatly got to answering the question Sting had asked. "First thing's first. This helmet I never remove in the company of others. No-one knows what I look like and that's how I intend to keep it." His shoulders jerked slightly in laughter. "For all you know, I could look like a Mon Calamari under this tin hat. Talk about ugly!"

He shuddered jokingly, making the conversation between the two bounty hunters somewhat more light-hearted than it had been back in Crei's office. Although he made a mental note not to get too comfortable with his new acquaintance, first rule of the world of a mercenary was to trust nobody. A rule which he had become comfortably accustomed to over time, even outside of his bounty hunter career.

"Well, I'm a little secretive about some aspects of my history. As we all are to a degree, I guess." A bottle of beer was handed to him by Aranthol despite what Janus had said, it was icy cold so he could have it later. "Thanks. I'm twenty-nine years old and am originally from Coruscant. At least that's where I was adopted, I was only three so I don't remember my parents or anything else like that."

The ships engines started up which made Janus look around for a moment, he hadn't yet activated the auto-pilot on it's ship. It would be the first time he would use the autopilot without actually being onboard, a worry at the back of his mind as he keyed in the appropriate comands and co-ordinates into his personal vessel. There was a moment of silence then the forearm-mounted interface bleeped twice which indicated that his orders were being carried out by the ships computer.

"Good. My ship is on it's way. It's just as well I have this with me." He said with a smile, setting the chilled bottle to one side and picking up the bag he had brought with him setting it on his lap. "It contains two changes of clothes, usually for escape or covert operations requiring disguise and the like. Not that I've ever had to use them for such purposes yet, my career is young with only two low-key jobs. One for a hit on the Coruscant City Watch and the other, a reporter who had been giving one of my employers some grief. Both were carried out flawlessly though, I might add."

By this point, Sting's ship had broke the atmosphere of Trandosha and as the hyperdrive coils began to emmit their trademark humming there was still no sign of the bounty hunter's ship following them. At this Janus made no comment and just sat in silece until asking finally, "So where is it we're headed?"

Sting
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:18:42 PM
Sting turned to his partner. "Aranthol?"

"I have a contact sir. Our first location is Yslesia to have a meeting with Gorgja the Hutt. Its rumored that Kazaar worked for him but there relationship is strained. Maybe he will part with him with a little persuasion."

"Good, good lets get started." Sting slipped his mask back on and sat down at the ship controls.

OOC: This thread is continued in Woke up this Morning;Blue Moon in your Eyes.