PDA

View Full Version : What a horrible way to go

Darth Viscera
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:27:36 PM
:|

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/03/15/children.drown.ap/index.html

Morrisa
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:30:23 PM
oh my god. That's terrible, even worse is that it happened while their mother was asleep :\.

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:49:11 PM
That mom is a retard. You don't just let your kids go play like that when you're asleep.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:45:46 PM
My guess would be they left the house while she was asleep. But who knows?

Dae Jinn
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:47:10 PM
But, why would you leave your house so that your small children could LEAVE while you sleep? why wouldn't you have someone to watch them, or at least lock the doors?

Janus Versa
Mar 16th, 2003, 12:11:02 AM
Oooh, nice and depressing. :\

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2003, 12:32:44 AM
3 and 4 is too young to let them go around like that without supervision. You just have to be careful, sheesh.

Imagine how that mom is going to feel now, though. Talk about someone I would NOT want to be. This is what happens though when you're not really careful.

Also, it seems to me she should have been aware of the dangers around the house and its surrounding properties, but I dunno really.

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:07:25 AM
I think you're giving the mom a little more heat than she deserves. I've been stuck with the task of babysitting once or twice and I've found myself dozing off on a few occasions. Not purposely, but laying down on the sofa for a few minutes just watching tv, it's pretty easy to just fall asleep for awhile.

I don't think anyone can really be held to blame in this case.

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:12:01 AM
I agree that something like this could be a horrible accident and I also agree that she doesn't deserve "blame," as such, because this is not, IMO, willful negligence.

Still, honestly you really do need to watch kids that age at all times. This is just a misfortunate occurrence when it comes down to it though.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:12:06 AM
Twice my girls locked me out of the house and they were only 2! The second time, I had stepped out on the porch to see what the dog was barking at (I was in a t-shirt and panties only) and behind me I heard 'click'.

I saw a little hand patting the glass and fiddling around with the handle. when I went to open it.......I had to drive to a neighbors' house, make him go to his room so he couldnt see me, then call my husband - who was at work!! - and have him come home and unlock the door! Took me forever to live that one down! lol

The point of my story being this.....I was awake, less than 10 feet away yet was unable to reach my kids. they were in the house alone for almost 40 minutes. Anything could have happened! I wasnt being neglegent....it was simply an accident.

Im hoping this is what happened with those boys .

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:13:13 AM
"(I was in a t-shirt and panties only)"

TMI! Haha, j/k. :D

Shawn
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:28:39 AM
What do you expect? That the mother should never sleep? It could have very well been that they sneaked out in the middle of the night.

Even if she fell asleep during the day... it's just not possible to watch kids every second of every day. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't tried it for themselves.

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:28:22 PM
My mom watched me every second of every day, so I'm sure it's possible. :)

Anyway you should tie your kids down when you go to sleep, just to be safe.

Morrisa
Mar 16th, 2003, 01:48:02 PM
Still, little kids like that shouldn't be left totally alone without supervision. Daiq was outside, and she went and did something right away when she was locked out. Having little 3 and 4 year old children wandering around in the day or worse at night, is horrible. Even if you can't watch your children every single minute fo the day, you should still take their well-being into consideration. I don't see how two little children could have gotten out of house, let alone into a neighbours yard with-out someone noticing something amiss. I have three siblings, all younger than me, there's was never a time when someone didn't know where we were, or what we were doing. If my mum was asleep, someone was there to watch us. She still has my now teenaged brother and sister check in when they go out, at any time. I just don't see how she could leave them all on their own for that length of time, Again, just my opinion.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 16th, 2003, 02:45:51 PM
If it was night time, people would have been asleep. Plus its not like everyone has lots of siblings to keep tabs on them :mneh

Its not like you look at your kids and think, "I better be alert tonight... they might somehow wake up, sneak out of that door I forgot to lock and run off into that night."

Dae Jinn
Mar 16th, 2003, 03:16:19 PM
Yeah, but you'd think they'd hear something, or you'd hope they would. I dunno. Would you leave your house unlocked if you had young children of your own? I wouldn't. It just, is horrible. It isn't the mother's fault, but it could have been prevented. Even the people who broke the seal on the tank should have thought to cover it.

JonathanLB
Mar 16th, 2003, 04:27:11 PM
"George Lucas gonna sue somebody over this!"

Err, I mean, someone's going to get sued over this I am sure.

Shawn
Mar 16th, 2003, 08:04:10 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Anyway you should tie your kids down when you go to sleep, just to be safe. I'm hoping that's a joke.

And no, I'm sure your mom did not watch over you every second of every day, short of being an insane insomniac with no job. I'm sure that there was a time when you burned yourself on the kitchen stove, stuck something you shouldn't have in the microwave or otherwise had some kind of accident. It's part of being a kid.

I remember trying to slide down a pole on my swingset, catching a screw and making a nice, long tear down the length of my leg. Or jumping off a worktable and right onto a board with a nail sticking out of it. My point is, accidents happen.

Most of the time, you can recover from the accident just fine. You learn a lesson, possibly get a scar and you move on. Unfortunately, these kids didn't have one the accidents you can recover from. But the mother is not to blame.

Kariss
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:29:31 AM
Horrible, I couldn't read past their ages. :(

Inu
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:51:35 AM
I live near that place. It was on the news here, I think.

Rognan Dar
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:52:27 AM
Sheesh...I have lots of little bothers (dont care to say how many) and we dont even let them go outside when we ARE awake. This news it just sad...