PDA

View Full Version : Equilibrium

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:54:01 AM
WHAT A FILM!

The acting was superb, especially Bale. The action didnt have to rely on wires and slow motion, instead showing excellent scenes. The underlining story was great. It was such a great film, I want to see it again.

I liked also how looking back, it was obvious who WASNT on the drug. Taye Diggs' character smiles and winks. DuPont runs his hand over tables, and shows a lot of anger. The kid calls Balde "dad". I loved this.

And for my running count of films this year:

BEST FILM
4. The Tuxedo
3. The Two Towers
2. Equilibrium
1. Daredevil

BEST ACTOR
Affleck (Daredevil)/Bale(Equilibrium)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Farrell(Daredevil)

BEST ACTRESS
Garner(Daredevil)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
-

BEST MUSIC/SCORE
Daredevil

BEST SONG
Bring me to life(Daredevil)

BEST ACTION
Daredevil/Equilibrium

BEST SFX
The Two Towers

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:21:10 PM
I NEVER EVER got to see this movie, i'm so angry that it NEVER was in Portland. Or if it was I totally spaced and missed it. :cry

And I don't remember what name I'm signed in as right now. :uhoh

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:36:20 AM
I'm really glad you got to see it and liked it!

It was one of my top 5 for 2002, great film. The action was incredible, breathtaking even.

I wrote a lot of interesting points (I thought) in my review:

http://www.jlbmovies.com/Equilibrium.shtml

Somewhat about the connections between Equilibrium and various other films, also the Nazi symbol. Oh yeah: "The government even burns people in furnaces just like Nazi gas chambers in what is a very disturbing fascist government structure."

My final comments were: "One can imagine Equilibrium being the type of film that will develop a cult following on DVD and become an acclaimed sci-fi film in a decade or two in much the same way Blade Runner (1982) defeated the odds by overcoming both a cool critical and popular reaction upon its first release."

I loved the film. Great in every respect, from story to action to acting (Bale is one of my current favorites) to symbolism and intellectual value.

ReaperFett
Mar 15th, 2003, 07:56:03 AM
Yeah, this should go down great on DVD

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:51:03 AM
I can't wait, I got my DVD pre-ordered back a few months ago. I think it is in May, so not *too* far off now.

ReaperFett
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:53:54 AM
Ill be ordering from the US :)

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 11:59:31 AM
I must admit Equilibrium is the only film I have ever, ahem, obtained through unscrupulous means ;)

But when I got it from Kazaa, it was long out of theaters, so I don't see the problem. It doesn't cost them a dime. I actually flew up to Seattle, like 225 miles or whatever, just to go see Equilibrium. It didn't even play in my state, yet I still went to see it (so did my friend Sean Cox, but he went down to San Francisco, haha). Anyway, I pre-ordered the DVD too, so it's not like my copy of the film has in any way impacted them monetarily.

It has allowed me to see my favorite scenes in lousy quality over and over though :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:18:23 PM
This movie was excellent. 1984 is one of my favourite books ever, and to see it almost brought to life was great. I really enjoyed all of the little twists and turns in the plot, and the action scenes were top notch.

:D:thumbup

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:26:57 PM
There were a ton of 1984 influences and homages in Equilibrium. Then again, many great films owe a lot to 1984 :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:29:55 PM
Very true. I especially liked the way they played Preston's son, like he was one of the spies from 1984. Things like that showed just how bad the situation had become.

ReaperFett
Mar 15th, 2003, 12:50:26 PM
Jeez Jon, lucky it wasnt a bad film eh? :)

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 01:36:13 PM
Haha, yeah, that's true. Man I'd have been mad if I wasted an entire day going up to Seattle and staying overnight to see that movie. The things I will do for movies! ;)

My dad was already in Seattle on business so I took a plane up to meet him there, we went to dinner, saw the movie, I spent the night, then I drove back with him. Unfortunately, he didn't get to take the Aston Martin up there because the previous day when he drove up it was rainy, doh! It would have been fun to drive back from Seattle in the DB7, or "ASTON1" as the plate reads, haha.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:03:59 AM
Ah-ah! There was a thread on Equilibrium!

Caught this sucker on DVD as there was no theatre release and I loved it. The last gun fight at the end was worth the price of hiring alone. Gun Kata worked better than it had any right to. Damn you whomever let this go direct to video in Aust! You suck!

Charley
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:42:47 AM
This movie did nothing for me. It was an uninspired angle at 1984 & Fahrenheit 454, and while I'm sure gun kata is cool to look at and all, its such a sugary gimmick that I can't even start to suspend disbelief.

Ryan Pode
Jan 26th, 2004, 07:17:07 AM
Psst. It's 451.

This movie wasn't that great. Not even the final battle was enough to redeem it although when he cut the dudes face off, that was tight.

JMK
Jan 26th, 2004, 08:43:19 AM
The face slicing was tight! I own the movie, so obviously I liked it well enough but some thing bothered me. Like the scene with the snowglobe. I think I saw that in an episode of the Simpsons. ;)

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:27:11 PM
The final gun scene was pretty cool. There's a Tai Chi/Wing Chun drill called "Sticky Hands" where two opponents keep contact with one another about the wrists and try to create openings and strike at once another without breaking contact. I've done the drill a few times, but I'm not too good at it. Getting better though.

Essentially they played Sticky hands. With guns. That was pretty cool in my book.