PDA

View Full Version : Life?

Oriadin
Mar 14th, 2003, 05:02:30 AM
Ok, after reading the spamming notice by Marcus the other day I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread full of thoughts and feelings on life.

Please please no spamming or one word answers. If you have something to contribute then put it down. Your thoughts, your feelings anything you like.

**Facts of Life**

1. At least 5 people in this world, love you so much they would die for you.

2. At least 15 people in this world love you, in some way.

3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you, is because they want to be just like you.

4. A smile from you, can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.

5. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.

6. You mean the world to someone.

7. Without you, someone may not be living.

8. You are special and unique, in your own way.

9. Someone that you don't know even exists, loves you.

10. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it.

11. When you think the world has turned it's back on you, take a look, you most likely turned your back on the world.

12. When you think you have no chance at getting what you want, you probably won't get it, but if you believe in yourself, you probably sooner or later will get it.

13. Always remember complements you received, forget about the rude remarks.

14. Always tell someone how you feel, then they'll know.

15. If you have a great friend, take the time to let them know that
they're great.

James Plainsrender
Mar 18th, 2003, 02:39:23 PM
*ahem*

"Life is not how is should be,
it's how it is!
It's how you deal with it that makes it better!"

Maximas
Mar 18th, 2003, 05:13:23 PM
Brilliant quote there.

Where you end up isn't the most important thing. It's the road you take to get there. The road you take is what you'll look back on and call your life.
- Tim Wiley

If life gives us rocks, it's our choice whether to build a bridge or a wall.

Living on earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
- George Burns

Worry is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.
- Dorothy Galyean

It's never too late to be what you might have been.
- George Eliot

May you live all the days of your life.
- Jonathan Swift

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 20th, 2003, 07:17:28 PM
Edit: Wow, that was longer than I expected. I'll probably just stick it all in my blog instead of cramming up this thread.

But yeah, school is sucking right now, possible revoking of my driver's permit is pending. The weekend needs to come quickly.

Ryla Relvinian
Mar 20th, 2003, 10:09:06 PM
"I expect to pass through this world but once.
any good therefore that I can do,
or any kindness that I can show,
let me do it now.
Let me not defer nor neglect it,
for I shall not pass this way again."

-Stephen Grellet

Janus Versa
Mar 20th, 2003, 10:24:44 PM
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us."

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right."

"There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires."

The below quote I feel is very applicable to the war on Iraq:

"When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat."

"Only free men can negotiate; prisoners cannot enter into contracts. Your freedom and mine cannot be separated."

- Nelson Mandella

Hart
Mar 21st, 2003, 09:09:38 PM
Argh. Damn hippie talk.

ReaperFett
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:33:24 AM
"Few care, and you might as well get used to it" - me

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 22nd, 2003, 10:48:03 AM
"What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."

--Wm. Henry Davies

Xazor Elessar
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:15:39 AM
Life -- it sucks. Just another thing standing in my way of happiness. :\

Janus Versa
Mar 22nd, 2003, 11:27:23 AM
Hippie talk? Whatever, I'm pro-action so I hardly consider my views "hippie".

ReaperFett
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:27:32 PM
At what stage did he say YOU? First, ask him who he was referring to, and THEN jump to conclusions. Thats a little rule of life I have too :)

Emotion
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:36:59 PM
*ahem*

The world is slowing going to heck, that only reason I'm still living to help it along the way.

*as said by me, slightly elaborated*

Janus Versa
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:37:32 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
At what stage did he say YOU? First, ask him who he was referring to, and THEN jump to conclusions. Thats a little rule of life I have too :)

Thanks for the lesson in communications. Here's another; his comment was generalised and impersonal and not only that but was made immediatly after mine. Considering the posts prior to my own shared the same theme I think I am well within my rights to respond as I did. I neither want to be thought of as a "hippie" or someone against the current action being taken in Iraq - I make this comment as I made reference to the Iraq situation in relation to a quote I posted - as neither are true of me, thus I am clarifying my stance in the matter and I am very much entitled to do so.

Cherice St_Hilare
Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:05:54 PM
Life exists, make the best out of it. :)

Hart
Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:29:01 PM
I didn't say anything about Iraq. I just called you and everyone else a hippie for "spreading the love." It's easy to be cheesy when you quote people, and when the people you quote are brilliant and actually learned it through years of sacrifice rather than a "that-sounds-good-I'll-say-it-too"-moment.

Anyway, it was meant to be an humorous observation, certainly not a pointed remark at anyone in particular.

Loki Ahmrah
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:01:06 PM
Edit: In fact, forget it. I can hold my own tongue.

Abel Kannan
Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:02:00 PM
There is a lot of bad in the world. But God made the world, and when he made it it was good. And even now, with all the bad in the world, there is still some good in it. And as long as that little bit of good still exists there is hope.

That's what keeps me going through life.

Life is not entirely bad. Life only sucks when you let it be that way. Everything that happens to us happens for our betterment. Hard to believe, huh? But it's true. Like when you are driving in your car, and you're not paying attention, then you get pulled over. It sucks that you got a ticket, but getting a ticket was a good thing cause it (hopefully) taught you to pay more attention next time.

My life is good. Jesus loves me.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:32:42 PM
Don't forget what it feels like to love. Remember that feeling, and keep it in your heart for the bad times. If you forget how love feels, you forget love.

Caring is everything; nothing matters but caring.

Hart
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:21:11 AM
sigh. My first remark was in jest. My second was most definitely a pointed remark at a lack of. This one is just an explanation to put my points into perspective. I just have to admit that I'm usually skeptical about threads such as these because it sounds too much like preaching without practicing. Or am I wrong? Perhaps I'm the only one here who has not found all the answers to the universe and existence, and for that I apologize. I'll try to do better.

Oriadin
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:13:50 PM
Originally posted by Oriadin
Ok, after reading the spamming notice by Marcus the other day I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread full of thoughts and feelings on life.

Please please no spamming or one word answers. If you have something to contribute then put it down. Your thoughts, your feelings anything you like.

Its there, in bold and not too easy to miss. Please only post here if you have something to contribute. If you dont like the thread then dont post. If you want to argue about something that someone else has said then PM it to them. Im not interested to be honest, I just want to know peoples thoughts and feelings on life. Quotes and the like are great. Come on people, how hard?

Now, back on topic!

I always find it funny how things in life can change so quickly. I mean, I can wake up one morning and feel like the world is against me. My job sucks, there are problems at home, preasures from life and at times it just feels like your at a dead end. There is no escape, no way out. Your just stuck there. Those days are terribly depressing and id be willing to bet im not the only one thats felt like that.

Then, I can go to sleep, wake up the next morning and things dont seem quite so bad. Nothing changed but your perspective on things. You look at your problems from a slightly more positive angle and before you know it, your finding solutiions when yesterday it felt like you were at a dead end. So much in life depends on how you look at things and if you are generally a positive person or a negative person.

Personally I try to be as possitive as I can. I have my bad days sure but you have to learn from things, move on. Learn from your past but dont live in it.

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 26th, 2003, 09:26:35 PM
Life is short. That brings me hope. None of the bad stuff will last. Because life is short. Sometimes I just want to roll over and sleep my life away. I'm just so incredibly tired. There's a song that describes the feeling I'm talking about, but I don;t know what it's called. Otherwise, I'd post the lyrics.

Destiny Stormrider
Mar 27th, 2003, 05:55:21 PM
Life is like a big Kinder Surprise Egg lol. You meet complete strangers, and with time, they become your best friend. The one person you think of when you're sad. A few days later, they become strangers again... You never know what's gonna happen.

It gives you such beautiful memories all along, but seems you give more importance to the bad stuff and then you feel miserable.

FireKat
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:11:18 PM
You are a beautiful and unique snowflake...just like the 6 billion other beautiful and unique snowflakes. Crack open a fortune cookie and make yourself feel special.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 27th, 2003, 10:06:30 PM
Originally posted by FireKat
You are a beautiful and unique snowflake...just like the 6 billion other beautiful and unique snowflakes. Crack open a fortune cookie and make yourself feel special in bed.

I couldn't have said that better myself! :)

Now, for some more words of wisdom from our good friend Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil?

I've been miserable for 40 years.

:lol Oh, that Letterman skit always cracks me up. *Wipes a tear from his eye.*

And now for some real wisdom.

Not everyone uses the same meanings you do. No matter how hard human beings try to communicate from person to person, something will always get lost in the translation.

Remember that words are important and precious, and should be treated with respect.

Ori: Attitude really does make a difference in one's life. Your example is dead on. If you go into work with a helpful attitude and a smile on your face, neat, well-groomed, and you actually are happy, it will get you through some times that would otherwise be harder to bear. Sometimes that offer of a smile is the most important thing to brighten someone else's day.

Hart: There are many answers out there. The ones you need are the ones you will find, as long as you're open-minded about it. But that doesn't mean that your answers are the same as anybody else's. That is why we share things like this: to see what other people have learned from their lives and to give them a little piece of our own.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 9th, 2003, 07:41:50 PM
Well, let's see. Here's an interesting bit out of C. S. Lewis's book The Screwtape Letters that I think describes life pretty well.

Humans are amphibians--half spirit and half animal...As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time. This means that while their spirit can be directed to an eternal object, their bodies, passions, and imaginations are in continual change, for to be in time means to change. Their nearest approach to constancy , therefore, is undulation--the repeated return to a lavel from which they repeatedly fall back, a series of troughs and peaks.

Life is like a great big roller coaster. Screwtape continues to say that while the peaks are the most fun for humans, the troughs are often the times when a person is crafted into what they are going to be. It makes me appreciate the troughs sort of, because I'm becoming the person that God wants me to be by persevering through those hard times.